Hi!
I continue my difficult 1st acquaintance with light maps...
Ultimately I want to render a noise on lightmap to later guide an ICE deformation. Now when I render the lightmap, there is a hole in the map. Not knowing the intricacies of lightmapping, I thought it was MR ignoring some part of the mesh during render due to visibility. So to go around that I wrapped the whole scene in a reflective sphere. It worked! But was it coincidence? Since now the hole is back. (oh, the hole changes on each render too)
I'll keep playing but I'll take any insight on how to solve it,
Thanks!
Claude
There is a hole in the (light)map
-
claudevervoort
- Posts: 89
- Joined: 16 Oct 2009, 00:56
- Location: Montréal, QC, Canada
There is a hole in the (light)map
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
claudevervoort
- Posts: 89
- Joined: 16 Oct 2009, 00:56
- Location: Montréal, QC, Canada
Re: There is a hole in the (light)map
Well I think I have found the reason. Crossing fingers 
Rendering optimization doc:
Mesh Splitting Factor: At render time, Softimage splits large objects into many pieces, each of which can be computed separately.
So I thought, maybe I subdivided my sphere too much, then now it somehow gets split in 2, and only one piece makes it to file? To test that I reduced the subdivision on the sphere. And now the hole is gone.
I don't know the intricacies, but I have a story that makes sense to me, I'll hold on it for the time being hopeful to not see that hole again...
Claude
Rendering optimization doc:
Mesh Splitting Factor: At render time, Softimage splits large objects into many pieces, each of which can be computed separately.
So I thought, maybe I subdivided my sphere too much, then now it somehow gets split in 2, and only one piece makes it to file? To test that I reduced the subdivision on the sphere. And now the hole is gone.
I don't know the intricacies, but I have a story that makes sense to me, I'll hold on it for the time being hopeful to not see that hole again...
Claude
-
Mathaeus
- Posts: 1778
- Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 19:11
- Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Re: There is a hole in the (light)map
Hi,
I think you need to plug your cell procedural texture directly into input of Color Sampler, then to plug output of Lightmap Color into surface shader. At least this a way how I got it to work.
Anyway,(please forget this if it doesn't fit to your needs), if you want to drive ICE deformation *just* with "Cell" procedural texture, there is a nice "Worley Noise" compound in PhilPack, with a far more options than standard Softimage Cell texture.
Cheers
I think you need to plug your cell procedural texture directly into input of Color Sampler, then to plug output of Lightmap Color into surface shader. At least this a way how I got it to work.
Anyway,(please forget this if it doesn't fit to your needs), if you want to drive ICE deformation *just* with "Cell" procedural texture, there is a nice "Worley Noise" compound in PhilPack, with a far more options than standard Softimage Cell texture.
Cheers
-
claudevervoort
- Posts: 89
- Joined: 16 Oct 2009, 00:56
- Location: Montréal, QC, Canada
Re: There is a hole in the (light)map
Thanks Mathaeus for chiming in!
For the time being having a lower subdivision on my mesh seems to do the trick, but I'll remember it if the hole comes back.
Also I noticed that new noise node in 2011 (which I understand is the same as Phil's pack). I believe that would make indeed more sense to use in that context, but I've found I was lacking the UI feedback the shaders give me, and the ability to alter the noise quite easily for example by chaining in a gradient/curve/... for sharper transitions.
Claude
For the time being having a lower subdivision on my mesh seems to do the trick, but I'll remember it if the hole comes back.
Also I noticed that new noise node in 2011 (which I understand is the same as Phil's pack). I believe that would make indeed more sense to use in that context, but I've found I was lacking the UI feedback the shaders give me, and the ability to alter the noise quite easily for example by chaining in a gradient/curve/... for sharper transitions.
Claude