http://fabricengine.com/
And some more info in there. I really like the new design.
Fabric Engine new website
-
Bullit
- Moderator
- Posts: 2621
- Joined: 24 May 2012, 07:44
Re: Fabric Engine new website
It seems to be well organised but it is too big for laptop screens.
-
FabricPaul
- Posts: 188
- Joined: 21 Mar 2012, 14:17
Re: Fabric Engine new website
We commissioned the guys at Electric Umbrella to do this for us - we (and our users) often struggle to explain what FE is at a high-level. Hopefully this helps!
Cheers,
Paul
p.s feedback on the website noted, feel free to PM me with specifics
-
MauricioPC
- Moderator
- Posts: 1089
- Joined: 16 Sep 2013, 11:39
Re: Fabric Engine new website
Great video Paul. Really makes it easy to explain what Fabric is.
-
SamHowell
- Posts: 364
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 12:09
- Location: Birmingham
Re: Fabric Engine new website
It's all very cool. Much more slick.
Now all you need are some quick start tutorials for absolute beginners. Something like SideFX have done with their last release of Houdini.
Now all you need are some quick start tutorials for absolute beginners. Something like SideFX have done with their last release of Houdini.
-
Pooby
- Posts: 501
- Joined: 27 Aug 2010, 20:25
Re: Fabric Engine new website
Agreed. One of the problems with ICE is that it took about 3 years before artists realised they could use it too.
When it came out it seemed pretty impenetrable except for TDs, but in reality. That wasn't true.
It would be really great to lure people in. I'll do a bunch of beginner tutorial when I've finished my current job Next month (Assuming I can do anything useful, as I say that having not even had time to look at canvas yet.) but it would be really great to have some official ones.
When it came out it seemed pretty impenetrable except for TDs, but in reality. That wasn't true.
It would be really great to lure people in. I'll do a bunch of beginner tutorial when I've finished my current job Next month (Assuming I can do anything useful, as I say that having not even had time to look at canvas yet.) but it would be really great to have some official ones.
-
rray
- Moderator
- Posts: 1810
- Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
- Location: Bonn, Germany
Re: Fabric Engine new website
Good point.
What I think would help a lot too if there was some common supported plugin distribution method that works for each application - for example I have no idea how to install the angel07 retopo tool inside maya (not tried yet tbh)
Btw I'll be starting to add fabric plugins to rray.de too beginning with the retopo tool, kraken when it comes out.
What I think would help a lot too if there was some common supported plugin distribution method that works for each application - for example I have no idea how to install the angel07 retopo tool inside maya (not tried yet tbh)
Btw I'll be starting to add fabric plugins to rray.de too beginning with the retopo tool, kraken when it comes out.
softimage resources section updated Sep 26th 2026
-
EricTRocks
- Moderator
- Posts: 754
- Joined: 25 Nov 2009, 00:41
Re: Fabric Engine new website
3rd party dev's will have mechanisms eventually to easily distribute their tools. I've been told by Paul that this is something they will address.
Not that it's hard to get things going. I haven't tried the retopo tool yet but I think you just have to add the path to the KL code to the FABRIC_EXTS_PATH variable and load Splice and the Softimage Plug-in.
@RRay: Kraken will be hosted on Github as an open source repo. Not sure you'll be able to host it on your site unless you're just going to zip up the cloned repo. Kraken will include the Python libs, KL libs, and all DCC plug-ins in a certain directory structure that needs to be maintained. You can do as you wish though as it's Open Source.
Not that it's hard to get things going. I haven't tried the retopo tool yet but I think you just have to add the path to the KL code to the FABRIC_EXTS_PATH variable and load Splice and the Softimage Plug-in.
@RRay: Kraken will be hosted on Github as an open source repo. Not sure you'll be able to host it on your site unless you're just going to zip up the cloned repo. Kraken will include the Python libs, KL libs, and all DCC plug-ins in a certain directory structure that needs to be maintained. You can do as you wish though as it's Open Source.
-
El Burritoh
- Posts: 151
- Joined: 30 Nov 2010, 18:56
- Location: Tennessee
Re: Fabric Engine new website
Paul, this would be great! Your vids have always been very clear and you do a great job demystifying this stuff.Pooby wrote:I'll do a bunch of beginner tutorial when I've finished my current job Next month (Assuming I can do anything useful, as I say that having not even had time to look at canvas yet.) but it would be really great to have some official ones.