RM:Building1

Comments on finished work
User avatar
redmotion
Posts: 150
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 16:38
Location: London

RM:Building1

Post by redmotion » 10 Apr 2010, 07:44

Hi Everyone.

Just a redo of an old scene (with some remodelling, new material settings). An experiment using passes instead of a straight one-off render like I would usually do. Comped/colour-graded in the FX Tree with a couple of tweaks in Photoshop. (SI2010)

Image
building_closeup1_sm.jpg
Passes
building1_passes_sm.jpg
I understand it looks a little "lifeless" without things inside the buildings or on the balconies (like plant pots, etc). I may fix this later.
'Original render size:1920x1080 (render times for passes)

'Albedo
'wallclock 0:00:56.54 for rendering
'AO <- may try baking this with higher settings (using second unique UVs projection for animation)
'wallclock 0:07:09.58 for rendering
'FG
'wallclock 0:02:31.26 for computing finalgather points <- (will be pregenerated for animation)
'wallclock 0:04:08.25 for rendering
'metal
'wallclock 0:02:21.31 for rendering
'highlight
'0:03:27.49 for rendering
'Depth
'wallclock 0:00:28.69 for rendering
'background
'wallclock 0:00:16.28 for rendering
'white matte
'wallclock 0:00:37.99 for rendering
'glass <- The main bottleneck!
'wallclock 0:26:03.71 for rendering
'with bump res increased wallclock 0:50:34.96 for rendering (probably should lower)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: RM:Building1

Post by Hirazi Blue » 10 Apr 2010, 10:01

So no one told you it's expressly forbidden to do ArchViz in Softimage? :D
No seriously, looks good!!!
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

mtea
Posts: 25
Joined: 12 Jun 2009, 08:36

Re: RM:Building1

Post by mtea » 14 Apr 2010, 10:35

it looks really great..very realistic..mostly arch viz are illustrated, but i like this look more:)

User avatar
farhaad_yousefi
Posts: 178
Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 20:45
Yahoo Messenger: farhaad_yousefi@yahoo.com
Location: tehran-iran

Re: RM:Building1

Post by farhaad_yousefi » 16 Apr 2010, 14:29

cool.!!

User avatar
farhaad_yousefi
Posts: 178
Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 20:45
Yahoo Messenger: farhaad_yousefi@yahoo.com
Location: tehran-iran

Re: RM:Building1

Post by farhaad_yousefi » 16 Apr 2010, 14:31

Hirazi Blue wrote:So no one told you it's expressly forbidden to do ArchViz in Softimage? :D
No seriously, looks good!!!
=)) , ;)

Alul
Posts: 7
Joined: 08 May 2010, 11:24

Re: RM:Building1

Post by Alul » 12 May 2010, 00:03

Can you explain me your way of setting up albedo pass please?

User avatar
redmotion
Posts: 150
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 16:38
Location: London

Re: RM:Building1

Post by redmotion » 13 May 2010, 12:34

The long way!

I created a new pass and made new materials that were constant shaders with the diffuse texture maps plugged into diffuse ports. Then I created partitions to which I assigned each material and then dropped the correct objects into their respective partitions.

Its definitely not the best way because if it was a real-life production and I had to say, change the timber slats to brick, I'd have to update more than just one material (for specular pass etc).

Probably the better way is to use a single material for each material and use overrides and partitions to turn off things like specular reflections, shadows, etc (or override one material shader type with another without needing to add the textures in the override render tree - but I'm clueless about that!)

Anyway, I did it like this because I could break the final image down into pieces and work on individual elements, like just specular, or just reflections.

Alul
Posts: 7
Joined: 08 May 2010, 11:24

Re: RM:Building1

Post by Alul » 13 May 2010, 14:46

Thanks. Long way is really time consumed.
I figured out some solution but, still its time consuming. I'm reconnecting textures from diffuse to ambient for each material (non architecture materials like phong) and then, i render it with "ambient pass" preset.