
Drawing a strand between every particle for wireframe effect
-
adrencg
- Posts: 196
- Joined: 04 May 2012, 22:50
Drawing a strand between every particle for wireframe effect
Is there way to use a particle object as an input to draw straight strands between each particle, to simulate a wireframe made of strands?


-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: Drawing a strand between every particle for wireframe effect
The "Strandwire Compound" comes to mind.
AFAIK currently only available in the local backup over at rray.de I'm afraid...
AFAIK currently only available in the local backup over at rray.de I'm afraid...
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
adrencg
- Posts: 196
- Joined: 04 May 2012, 22:50
Re: Drawing a strand between every particle for wireframe effect
I have that compound, but it doesn't work. Lots of red nodes when hooking it up.Hirazi Blue wrote:The "Strandwire Compound" comes to mind.
AFAIK currently only available in the local backup over at rray.de I'm afraid...
-
Mathaeus
- Posts: 1778
- Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 19:11
- Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Re: Drawing a strand between every particle for wireframe effect
If strandwire still doesn't work, you could try one of two in attachment. One spreads just a particle cylinder primitives (or any else primitive), so you have a real preview in viewport. Another creates strands.
Usually these things are searching for point neighbors, then points are cloned and placed in star like shapes, to the midpoint of edges, so there are two points or strands per on edge. Two attached nodes are using a simpler but faster math, modulo instead of loop value, than strandwire, at least one I've tried long time ago .
Of course, in case of SI subdivs, they won't take subdivs into account.
Usually these things are searching for point neighbors, then points are cloned and placed in star like shapes, to the midpoint of edges, so there are two points or strands per on edge. Two attached nodes are using a simpler but faster math, modulo instead of loop value, than strandwire, at least one I've tried long time ago .
Of course, in case of SI subdivs, they won't take subdivs into account.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
rray
- Moderator
- Posts: 1810
- Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
- Location: Bonn, Germany
Re: Drawing a strand between every particle for wireframe effect
Strandwire works fine here on SI 2015, applied it to an empty point cloud, and plugged the mesh in.
softimage resources section updated Sep 26th 2026
-
adrencg
- Posts: 196
- Joined: 04 May 2012, 22:50
Re: Drawing a strand between every particle for wireframe effect
Strange, now it works for me. I may have done something wrong yesterday. This is prefect for what I need.adrencg wrote:I have that compound, but it doesn't work. Lots of red nodes when hooking it up.Hirazi Blue wrote:The "Strandwire Compound" comes to mind.
AFAIK currently only available in the local backup over at rray.de I'm afraid...
I also downloaded a Plexus compound which has a different effect, but still a pretty cool effect.
-
adrencg
- Posts: 196
- Joined: 04 May 2012, 22:50
Re: Drawing a strand between every particle for wireframe effect
That works great too. Thanks.Mathaeus wrote:If strandwire still doesn't work, you could try one of two in attachment. One spreads just a particle cylinder primitives (or any else primitive), so you have a real preview in viewport. Another creates strands.
Usually these things are searching for point neighbors, then points are cloned and placed in star like shapes, to the midpoint of edges, so there are two points or strands per on edge. Two attached nodes are using a simpler but faster math, modulo instead of loop value, than strandwire, at least one I've tried long time ago .
Of course, in case of SI subdivs, they won't take subdivs into account.