April 7th - Modo 901 Announcement

News concerning 3D DCC business
User avatar
MauricioPC
Moderator
Posts: 1089
Joined: 16 Sep 2013, 11:39

April 7th - Modo 901 Announcement

Post by MauricioPC » 02 Apr 2015, 18:34



http://www.thefoundry.co.uk/events/live/
Don’t miss out—we’ll be sharing some exciting news!
Sign up to see our LIVE stream where all will be revealed. Interact via Twitter & Facebook using #TFNews.

Date: Tuesday 7th April

Time: 10am - 10:40am PDT / 6pm - 6:40pm BST

Registration is easy. If you already have an account on The Foundry website simply follow the link below, sign in as usual and register to watch the announcement.

If you don’t currently have an account, just follow the steps to create one.

Check out our teaser video to get a hint of what could be in store...

User avatar
MauricioPC
Moderator
Posts: 1089
Joined: 16 Sep 2013, 11:39

Re: April 7th - Modo 901 Announcement

Post by MauricioPC » 02 Apr 2015, 20:36


User avatar
Rork
Posts: 1359
Joined: 09 Jul 2009, 06:59
Location: Close to The Hague, Netherlands

Re: April 7th - Modo 901 Announcement

Post by Rork » 03 Apr 2015, 09:55

Hopefully there has been some love in the performance dept. Modo breaks down easily when there's a lot of stuff in the scene.
Sometimes even with not so much stuff in the scene....

But very curious on what will be 901. Hopefully some better integration with the other Foundry products, like Nuke....
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!

User avatar
bb3d
Posts: 84
Joined: 27 Oct 2011, 20:54
Location: Berlin

Re: April 7th - Modo 901 Announcement

Post by bb3d » 03 Apr 2015, 12:12

Was the Foundry acquired by Autodesk already? Hyping new products with meaningless and cheap looking teasers makes me believe so.

User avatar
MauricioPC
Moderator
Posts: 1089
Joined: 16 Sep 2013, 11:39

Re: April 7th - Modo 901 Announcement

Post by MauricioPC » 03 Apr 2015, 12:29

I was reading on the TF forums that Modo 901 will probably be like Mari, which is locked into one machine.

I'll say something that I never thought I would ... but I prefer to rent the software and login on whatever machine I want than to be locked into a machine and have to contact TF to change that (as I read is the procedure).

Funny that people always talked well of TF, but what I see in the forums, they are very strict and totally different to what Luxology was.

Today, I would prefer if Lux has gone into BMD. It would make a lot more sense (imo).

User avatar
Mathaeus
Posts: 1778
Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 19:11
Location: Zagreb, Croatia

Re: April 7th - Modo 901 Announcement

Post by Mathaeus » 07 Apr 2015, 21:14

Here is what's new list. And here's FAQ. From my understanding, permanent license is still an option. Otherwise, looks like their usual path. Modeling, rendering and that's it.

Most likely I'd skip this version in favor of Maya LT, which, together with Houdini Indie, is more than enough for spending a free time in next five years and more.

nodeway

Re: April 7th - Modo 901 Announcement

Post by nodeway » 07 Apr 2015, 22:14

Mathaeus wrote:... in favor of Maya LT...
Are there animation layers in LT?

Looking at the amount of things they took out from animation part => http://www.autodesk.com/products/maya/c ... e-products <= why to even bother with LT?
Mathaeus wrote:... Otherwise, looks like their usual path. Modeling, rendering and that's it...
New SDK + PyQT & PySide. Houdini just got them too, so it's nice.

User avatar
Mathaeus
Posts: 1778
Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 19:11
Location: Zagreb, Croatia

Re: April 7th - Modo 901 Announcement

Post by Mathaeus » 07 Apr 2015, 22:49

mantragora wrote:
Mathaeus wrote:... in favor of Maya LT...
Are there animation layers in LT?

Looking at the amount of things they took out from animation part => http://www.autodesk.com/products/maya/c ... e-products <= why to even bother with LT?
If you're just asking, in my mind, correct question is 'why Houdini Indie', and answer is 'because my home budget does not allow regular Maya'. Personal opinions should not be questioned - if you do so, it's counterproductive for cause you're supporting.

nodeway

Re: April 7th - Modo 901 Announcement

Post by nodeway » 07 Apr 2015, 23:13

Mathaeus wrote: ... correct question is 'why Houdini Indie', and answer is 'because my home budget does not allow regular Maya'...
Well, but Houdini Indie is not a castrated version of Houdini where half of the program is not there.
Maya LT on the other hand is a half of Maya throw away. And this half that is thrown away is not some small part of features that you will never need. As a animator I wouldn't even bother with it. Can you even export to Motion Builder from LT?

User avatar
Mathaeus
Posts: 1778
Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 19:11
Location: Zagreb, Croatia

Re: April 7th - Modo 901 Announcement

Post by Mathaeus » 07 Apr 2015, 23:34

Back to topic, nice that they added MIS to Modo renderer. Have to admit, as I've read some rumors about renderer in 901, I've expected GPU accelaration, but it seems this is left to future.

P.S.
mantragora wrote:Can you even export to Motion Builder from LT?
I'd believe you already know that FBX format is invention of former Kaydara, makers of Motion Builder. Now everything is under AD. Their Full Body IK is integrated in Maya LT as well.

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: April 7th - Modo 901 Announcement

Post by Hirazi Blue » 08 Apr 2015, 10:38

Their constant need to increase Modo's prices and their justification for this is getting ridiculous IMHO... $-)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Helli
Posts: 211
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 09:21

Re: April 7th - Modo 901 Announcement

Post by Helli » 08 Apr 2015, 10:40

Best Joke is that they have even removed some Constraints in Maya LT.
No 3rd party plugins.
No python support.
No references.

Maya LT is just a joke, not even worth thinking about it a second.
Can't understand how they can charge money for it.

Even if it would be free I wouldn't consider using it. No one wants to use a cut off Maya out of the Box.

User avatar
MauricioPC
Moderator
Posts: 1089
Joined: 16 Sep 2013, 11:39

Re: April 7th - Modo 901 Announcement

Post by MauricioPC » 08 Apr 2015, 13:27

Hirazi Blue wrote:Their constant need to increase Modo's prices and their justification for this is getting ridiculous IMHO... $-)

Modo will increase in cost? I think I missed that. This is lame ... Modo sells well because it's cheaper.

Well ... that's why I never installed or never will install Nuke. With Fusion being free, I couldn't care less for TF.

nodeway

Re: April 7th - Modo 901 Announcement

Post by nodeway » 08 Apr 2015, 20:14

Mathaeus wrote:I'd believe you already know that FBX format is invention of former Kaydara, makers of Motion Builder. Now everything is under AD. Their Full Body IK is integrated in Maya LT as well.
Well, I believe full Maya offers a little more than just FBX support, when it comes to Motion Builder. And since you are not getting all the bells and whistles with Maya LT, maybe it's better to invest in Full Modo? Price will be more or less the same. And you are not forced to pay again next year, so in fact price will be smaller. And you can send FBX to Motion Builder.

;)

nodeway

Re: April 7th - Modo 901 Announcement

Post by nodeway » 08 Apr 2015, 20:19

Helli wrote:Best Joke is...


I wouldn't call this a joke. "F*cking in four letters" is more appropriate sentence.

EDIT: "Four letters" in my language are actually only three letters in English, for those of you who didn't get it, the four letter word = ASS ;)
Last edited by nodeway on 09 Apr 2015, 04:27, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Mathaeus
Posts: 1778
Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 19:11
Location: Zagreb, Croatia

Re: April 7th - Modo 901 Announcement

Post by Mathaeus » 08 Apr 2015, 21:18

mantragora wrote: Well, I believe full Maya offers a little more than just FBX support, when it comes to Motion Builder. And since you are not getting all the bells and whistles with Maya LT, maybe it's better to invest in Full Modo? Price will be more or less the same. And you are not forced to pay again next year, so in fact price will be smaller. And you can send FBX to Motion Builder.
Already have two full versions of Modo, 601 and 801. For doesn't-matter-what reason, from 2012 to today, spent with both of them, less time than in around six last months with Houdini. So, hard to expect any progress in future, with Modo and me.

Maya LT with latest stuff looks like absolutely closest pattern to SI, when it comes to hard-surface modeling (something I'm not doing every day, but if I do, I'm doing it for money, in very tight deadlines), and of course key framed animation. Not for breaking the barriers, but great for getting the skill. Not so nice organized as SI, but has entire Maya NURBS tool set (a bit old school, but still strong), so much stronger than SI. Also it's able to export Nurbs via FBX , nicely recognized as NURBS in Houdini as example (even it's not necessary to get nurbs out, I use them as initial geometry).
Lack of geo constraints is bad, but generally fits into my ideas about as much simple rigs - and as much more of interaction and blended constraints. Already have a rig in SI, created only of simple constraints (pose, direction, that's all) and expressions. This of course applies only to body rig, not to facial (where LT thing is almost unusable).
I will not argue about anything I said about Maya LT - already examined what I wanted.

About 'dark side', expressed by AD maintenance subscription, I have impression that sooner or later, others will follow Adobe and AD example, so avoiding to communicate with big brother today, is only leading to dependency of some smaller big brother, later.
While entire concept is unfair for freelancers, actually is not when it comes to employees - leasing allows easier introduction of new software into facility, including exotic things too.