Keeping Softimage alive after its early retirement might seem futile but is still a noble cause...
One year later...
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
One year later...
Today marks the first anniversary of Autodesks retirement notice of our beloved Softimage software. A lot has been said already about this shocking decision, but a day like this shouldn't go by unnoticed IMHO. While our community did lose a significant amount of active users, the fact that we're still around is a good sign.
Keeping Softimage alive after its early retirement might seem futile but is still a noble cause...

Keeping Softimage alive after its early retirement might seem futile but is still a noble cause...
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
FXDude
- Posts: 1145
- Joined: 19 Jun 2012, 19:59
Re: One year later...
"Still Around" to a certain extent as a migration/industry news forum,
while normally (under normal circumstances of a development arrest)
should have been just "around more or less as usual" until a (much more) comparable successor arose.
Happy anniversary!
while normally (under normal circumstances of a development arrest)
should have been just "around more or less as usual" until a (much more) comparable successor arose.
Happy anniversary!
-
MauricioPC
- Moderator
- Posts: 1089
- Joined: 16 Sep 2013, 11:39
Re: One year later...
I always feel that a community is more than just about software. Like, I always loved XSI Base and Spinquad, even thought at that time I didn't used Softimage and I never used LightWave.
CGTalk has all the software in the world, but I don't like it there.
Anyway ... I don't know what will become SI-Community in the future, but I do hope people will continue visiting to talk about CG in general.
Happy Birthday!
CGTalk has all the software in the world, but I don't like it there.
Anyway ... I don't know what will become SI-Community in the future, but I do hope people will continue visiting to talk about CG in general.
Happy Birthday!
-
Caveman
- Posts: 211
- Joined: 12 Feb 2011, 11:38
Re: One year later...
One year later... I am still 
-
Werner
- Posts: 157
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 11:30
Re: One year later...
I'm still here and will be for a while. Learning Houdini has taken up allot of my time, and questions needed to be asked on other forums
where other more advanced users can help.
We still use Softimage on a daily basis at Luma and will for some time. People are learning and crawling through the frustration that autodesk left behind.
I've spent just under 5 months now in Houdini land (Maya for 3 months before that
) and finaly I'm getting the hang of it. The future is bright again, and I'm happy with my choice...Softimage will always be part of my tool set, and I will always visit this website on a daily basis.
Thanks for the efforts to keep it alive.
W
where other more advanced users can help.
We still use Softimage on a daily basis at Luma and will for some time. People are learning and crawling through the frustration that autodesk left behind.
I've spent just under 5 months now in Houdini land (Maya for 3 months before that
Thanks for the efforts to keep it alive.
W
-
angus_davidson
- Posts: 583
- Joined: 20 Dec 2012, 04:13
- Skype: ithacapellin
Re: One year later...
Might have to bug you for some Houdini masterclasses in the future ;) I was not particularly happy about been forced to use Maya at Wits ;(
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University
-
Phan
- Posts: 2
- Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 19:25
Re: One year later...
Nothing new from my side... Still on Softimage. And will be for quite a while.
Why should I throw away all the knowledge I gathered over the last 10, 15 years?
And surely I won´t use / learn any Autodesk Alternative. No trust in that company´s policies and development.
If there is need for an alternative I will look at Cinema & Houdini.
And thanks to the forum people to keep the community alive!
regards
Stephan
Why should I throw away all the knowledge I gathered over the last 10, 15 years?
And surely I won´t use / learn any Autodesk Alternative. No trust in that company´s policies and development.
If there is need for an alternative I will look at Cinema & Houdini.
And thanks to the forum people to keep the community alive!
regards
Stephan
-
Bullit
- Moderator
- Posts: 2621
- Joined: 24 May 2012, 07:44
Re: One year later...
Yes Softimage, 3dsMax when i go to the place i sometimes work.
I have not good vibes about Houdini, if they don't make it easy to use/understand they will be dead or even more niche by 2018-2020.
I have not good vibes about Houdini, if they don't make it easy to use/understand they will be dead or even more niche by 2018-2020.
-
dirtydog
- Posts: 69
- Joined: 04 Aug 2009, 20:24
- Location: motherwell scotland
Re: One year later...
Still using Softimage, I bought Modo last year, which i use for modeling for unreal 4. looking at houdini indie, maybe buy later this year.
-
bb3d
- Posts: 84
- Joined: 27 Oct 2011, 20:54
- Location: Berlin
Re: One year later...
Still using Softimage and will keep using it as long as possible, while slowly learning Blender.