FXDude wrote:
In general, XSI (ICE) is known to be somewhat faster,
Just for small defense of Houdini - generally, I found Houdini and ICE "core", to be somewhere close when it comes to speed. "Core" = building the network of let's say VOPs in Houdini in similar way to ICE. While is still hard to say some exact numbers, because of different 'preferred layout' of operators.
But, there is something I'd like to call 'simulator's mind' of developers and some users too, where real-time interaction simply isn't considered as important, when it comes to final implementation. As opposite to 'animator's mind' in SI and Maya, where fast interaction is ultimate. I think
this thread depict very well what I wanted to say.
SI is not free of these "beauties", too, remember the XSI biped full of SCOPs and so fragile spine (but with built in no-sense of ability to twist the human spine to 360 degree).
Long story short, H desperately needs a veeery good number of tools, created by authors who have on-field, out-of-studio experience. In other word, I think Side Effects alone should buy first 2k or 3k copies of mbPlumage, just to give a proper support.