DreamWorks Will Shut Down PDI/DreamWorks Studio

News concerning 3D DCC business
User avatar
MauricioPC
Moderator
Posts: 1089
Joined: 16 Sep 2013, 11:39

DreamWorks Will Shut Down PDI/DreamWorks Studio

Post by MauricioPC » 23 Jan 2015, 12:45

You guys probably seen this, but ...

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/business/bre ... 08161.html
The beleaguered DreamWorks Animation just announced in a written statement that it will eliminate approximately 500 jobs at its company, far exceeding the previously anticipated number of layoffs. Many of those five hundred layoffs will come from the unexpected shutdown of one of its main studios, PDI DreamWorks, in Redwood City, California.
Sad, sad news.

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: DreamWorks Will Shut Down PDI/DreamWorks Studio

Post by Hirazi Blue » 23 Jan 2015, 12:54

Not all is lost, though. Maybe Autodesk will buy it... :-
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

User avatar
Shredder565
Posts: 1107
Joined: 02 Jan 2012, 19:04

Re: DreamWorks Will Shut Down PDI/DreamWorks Studio

Post by Shredder565 » 23 Jan 2015, 14:32

can someone explain to me why Dreamworks seems INTENT on ruining a good company?

First they try to sell to hasbro, a company that has no idea how to make movies.....and now tons of layofs.


their movies rake in BILLIONS each year. how b ad off could they be? doesn't make any sense that they seem to want to self destruct this company so badly.

User avatar
MauricioPC
Moderator
Posts: 1089
Joined: 16 Sep 2013, 11:39

Re: DreamWorks Will Shut Down PDI/DreamWorks Studio

Post by MauricioPC » 23 Jan 2015, 16:33

It's probably the same as what happens to Autodesk. Shareholders want they ROI, scr*w the rest. I'm guessing it's the same with PDI.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DreamWorks ... ture_films

I only see profit, but the budget is without marketing and distribution costas, but even though, I imagine some profit. So I guess the top executives and shareholders want their money.


I wonder if in todays market, the small and medium companies have a better chance of survival given they have lower crew and fast turn around of jobs.

User avatar
Rez007
Posts: 609
Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 14:51
Location: Nevada

Re: DreamWorks Will Shut Down PDI/DreamWorks Studio

Post by Rez007 » 23 Jan 2015, 21:25

Unfortunately, it seems like the film industry has been known for shady "book-keeping" where it seems like everything is a loss, and a blockbuster would be "okay" in terms of revenue. I think if they could curve their production waste, these layoffs would not happen. To me, it seems to be more of a management issue, especially with the big publishing houses which then happens to trickle down, than anything related to Dreamwork's actual films, where most are quite good. I hope they all land on their feet well.