Arnold Standin and ICE "talking"

Discussions about SOFTIMAGEs© Interactive Creative Environment©
User avatar
sant0s
Posts: 353
Joined: 05 Sep 2011, 20:57
Location: São Pedro de Moel

Arnold Standin and ICE "talking"

Post by sant0s » 03 Dec 2014, 09:30

Hi all :)

here my scenario:

I have a tree mesh and a seperate leave mesh (forester), both inside a model.
The tree has a bark texture, the leaves are just green shaded and "color attribute" in color.

In the scattering ICEtree the "color" is set by "texture map" (tree from above).
In the Rendertree I can get that "color" for the leaves now with the "color attribute" and do whatever I wanna do with it.

So when I scatter the tree on a landscape, every tree is looking different.


Now I create an standin.ass of that model and do the same scattering.
How can I talk to the "color attribute" inside the standin.ass? or is that not possible at all?
I know, I can change the overall color and thats working with "color attribute" fine.
Another way would be, to create two standins and put the proxys in a model.

But would be nice if its possible that way :)

Thx alot,
sant0s

WolfSpinach
Posts: 9
Joined: 08 Feb 2013, 13:44
Location: Cape Town

Re: Arnold Standin and ICE "talking"

Post by WolfSpinach » 15 Dec 2014, 10:07

Bit of an old thread but maybe it still needs an answer. Could you apply your material to the Standin proxy to override the material on the .ass file? That should work, unless you have multiple materials on a single .ass export. Then obviously it's just a case of hooking your material up to the ICE tree as normal.
Tom Kleinenberg - Previz/Layout Artist/Generalist. Any views expressed are my own.

User avatar
sant0s
Posts: 353
Joined: 05 Sep 2011, 20:57
Location: São Pedro de Moel

Re: Arnold Standin and ICE "talking"

Post by sant0s » 15 Dec 2014, 11:38

hi :)
yea, thats how I do it, when using two ICETrees.
the leaves in a seperate .ass and color them with a texture_map, the rest just as usual.
its working that way.
but I thought its possible, to read custom.attributes in the exported .ass file like attribute.color and modify them outside.
maybe I am just using the wrong way to randomize my forest color so that it looks realistic, but with a texture map of a real forest that controls the leave color is good for me.