point position
-
gigi
- Posts: 6
- Joined: 11 Jun 2009, 10:05
point position
i guess this is a simple question, but...how would I get the point position from another cloud? I want to evaluate the distance between 2 points out from 2 different cloud.
-
burg
- Posts: 11
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 19:08
Re: point position
Get Data node -> Explorer->Expand the PointCloud->Expand Point Cloud->PointPosition I *Think*
Hope that helps
Burgy
Hope that helps
Burgy
-
CiaranM
- Posts: 87
- Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 23:37
- Location: London
Re: point position
That'll give you the whole data set of points from the other cloud, which you can't use without switching contexts. If the number of points between clouds doesn't match, then switch context won't work. Instead, you need to change that set into an array per point on the current cloud. Here's a quick method:burg wrote:Get Data node -> Explorer->Expand the PointCloud->Expand Point Cloud->PointPosition I *Think*
Burgy

-
gigi
- Posts: 6
- Joined: 11 Jun 2009, 10:05
Re: point position
that wasn't so simple after all
. Thanks a lot!
btw I have subscribed to your online tutorial and i must admit i am still learning a lot from it is...REALLY helpfull. thanks again.
btw I have subscribed to your online tutorial and i must admit i am still learning a lot from it is...REALLY helpfull. thanks again.
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: point position
Yeah, the Softimage|ICE-slogan "Code less, create more" comes to mind. In this case it should probably read "Code less, create more nodes"gigi wrote:that wasn't so simple after all
Would be possible for you, CiaranM, to create a compound, so trying to understand it would be slightly easier?
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
CiaranM
- Posts: 87
- Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 23:37
- Location: London
Re: point position
Hey, no problem!gigi wrote:that wasn't so simple after all. Thanks a lot!
btw I have subscribed to your online tutorial and i must admit i am still learning a lot from it is...REALLY helpfull. thanks again.
Yeah, it's a bit of a pain and can be fraught with problems, trying to get data just the way you want it. This really needs to be improved! But the good thing about ICE is there are so many ways to solve problems like this. Sometimes it's a bit of an adventure, when it should be a walk in the park.Yeah, the Softimage|ICE-slogan "Code less, create more" comes to mind. In this case it should probably read "Code less, create more nodes"
Would be possible for you, CiaranM, to create a compound, so trying to understand it would be slightly easier?
I'll throw together a compound in a few days when I've the time.
-
gigi
- Posts: 6
- Joined: 11 Jun 2009, 10:05
Re: point position
yep... so easy with surface w the <location> coumpound.
I am getting an error at the first ID node when trying to replicate your tree. Looks like a <out of context> thing. I have to agree, a simple scene exemple would be of great help. tks again
I am getting an error at the first ID node when trying to replicate your tree. Looks like a <out of context> thing. I have to agree, a simple scene exemple would be of great help. tks again
-
gigi
- Posts: 6
- Joined: 11 Jun 2009, 10:05
Re: point position
found some time and tested on a simple scene created the simulate>ICE>Create>Emit Particles from Selection way and it's working fine. I guess it wasnt working because i was using plain primitive clouds with no emit node. So I need a <emit from position> in my tree ?..? because of the inti velocity?
anyway... I can now go on having fun with my little experiment.
anyway... I can now go on having fun with my little experiment.
-
CiaranM
- Posts: 87
- Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 23:37
- Location: London
Re: point position
Ok, here's a little compound that will give you the point position by ID on any input geometry (pointcloud or mesh). It also takes the object's SRT into account.
There would be better ways if you want to deal with the whole data set on the input geo, but this should give you a start.
Get Geo PointPosition
There would be better ways if you want to deal with the whole data set on the input geo, but this should give you a start.
Get Geo PointPosition
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: point position
Thanks for the compound...
now I'll just have to find some time to study it...
now I'll just have to find some time to study it...
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
schyzomaniac
- Posts: 16
- Joined: 10 Jun 2009, 03:19
Re: point position
Would you mind posting a link to those? I would like to check them out too.gigi wrote:btw I have subscribed to your online tutorial and i must admit i am still learning a lot from it is...REALLY helpfull.
Thanks,
Daniel
-
gigi
- Posts: 6
- Joined: 11 Jun 2009, 10:05
Re: point position
Thanks for the compound.. I will take a look for sure!
Daniel: you will find Cioran tutorial here : http://www.cmivfx.com
François
Daniel: you will find Cioran tutorial here : http://www.cmivfx.com
François
-
CiaranM
- Posts: 87
- Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 23:37
- Location: London
Re: point position
Nah that's not me!
But if you go there, you will find a really good tutorial series by the very talented Thiago Costa. I recommend you go for it!
But if you go there, you will find a really good tutorial series by the very talented Thiago Costa. I recommend you go for it!
-
gigi
- Posts: 6
- Joined: 11 Jun 2009, 10:05
Re: point position
oups ... I guess you are right
ok yeah I was talking about the excellent video from Thiago
.. and thanks for taking the time to help.. really appreciated.
.. and thanks for taking the time to help.. really appreciated.
-
schyzomaniac
- Posts: 16
- Joined: 10 Jun 2009, 03:19
Re: point position
Ha!
I already own Thiagos video from cmivfx. ;)
It's really a great training kit. I was hoping there was more in that league available.
cheers,
Daniel
I already own Thiagos video from cmivfx. ;)
It's really a great training kit. I was hoping there was more in that league available.
cheers,
Daniel