in case you have not followed the "Fusion&Nuke" (https://www.si-community.com/forum/v ... =36&t=2674) thread. Blackmagic releases Fusion, former Eyeon Fusion, as a Pro version ($995) or as a (slightly restricted) free version.
Check it out here.
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/fusion
cheers,
oli
Blackmagic Fusion 7 is released as PRO and free version
-
owei
- Administrator
- Posts: 840
- Joined: 03 Jun 2009, 15:25
- Location: Siegen/Germany
-
Rez007
- Posts: 609
- Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 14:51
- Location: Nevada
Re: Blackmagic Fusion 7 is released as PRO and free version
Thank you for the heads-up. That looks really amazing and the free version is quite impressive.
Co-Founder/Co-Owner 2GMG (2 Guys Making Games)
Creator of Blaster X HD https://itunes.apple.com/app/blaster-x- ... 51024?mt=8
http://www.facebook.com/2GMGames
http://www.twitter.com/2GMGames
Creator of Blaster X HD https://itunes.apple.com/app/blaster-x- ... 51024?mt=8
http://www.facebook.com/2GMGames
http://www.twitter.com/2GMGames
-
talent103
- Posts: 183
- Joined: 08 Jan 2010, 14:47
- Location: New York City
Re: Blackmagic Fusion 7 is released as PRO and free version
Do you think this might be a game changer in the compositing industry?
-
owei
- Administrator
- Posts: 840
- Joined: 03 Jun 2009, 15:25
- Location: Siegen/Germany
Re: Blackmagic Fusion 7 is released as PRO and free version
Well, at least, I hope so. Fusion is great and I use and own it since late 90s.The Foundry has grown to big in a very short amount of time. Some people say, the will get AD 2.0 and that might be true. So, any competition is good, as there were none in the last years. Eyeon did a very bad job on promoting Fusion and lost a lot. Their website was a pain. Blackmagic is a passionated company developing awesome hardware. They are about good products....like many other companies are not. Let u ssee what will happen
Cheers,
oli
Cheers,
oli
Founder of www.si-community.com
http://www.pixelpanic.de
http://www.pixelpanic.de
-
Firebird
- Posts: 81
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:08
- Location: Vienna
Re: Blackmagic Fusion 7 is released as PRO and free version
I´m also a longtime Fusion user and seeing the new Blackmagic website is already a great change to eyeon Days.
The marketing under eyeon was the worst thing.
And now Davinci for free, Fusion for free its amazing.
You can equip a hole Studio at a very low cost.
Use the Free seats as much as you like and on 1 or 2 machines you spend a bit money to get Tape Playout and GPU noise reduction etc(davinci Pro features) and Stereo 3d tools, network rendering Dimension Tools, 3rd Party plugins etc (Fusion Studio Feature).
Simply amazing.
Now I hope they come up with a good suite solution... looking at Nuke Studio.
The marketing under eyeon was the worst thing.
And now Davinci for free, Fusion for free its amazing.
You can equip a hole Studio at a very low cost.
Use the Free seats as much as you like and on 1 or 2 machines you spend a bit money to get Tape Playout and GPU noise reduction etc(davinci Pro features) and Stereo 3d tools, network rendering Dimension Tools, 3rd Party plugins etc (Fusion Studio Feature).
Simply amazing.
Now I hope they come up with a good suite solution... looking at Nuke Studio.
-
MauricioPC
- Moderator
- Posts: 1089
- Joined: 16 Sep 2013, 11:39
Re: Blackmagic Fusion 7 is released as PRO and free version
All true. Now we just need the same type of company for 3D. In my view, Luxology was before the merger ... now I don't know.owei wrote:Well, at least, I hope so. Fusion is great and I use and own it since late 90s.The Foundry has grown to big in a very short amount of time. Some people say, the will get AD 2.0 and that might be true. So, any competition is good, as there were none in the last years. Eyeon did a very bad job on promoting Fusion and lost a lot. Their website was a pain. Blackmagic is a passionated company developing awesome hardware. They are about good products....like many other companies are not. Let u ssee what will happen![]()
Cheers,
oli
In any case, I'm just happy I don't need After Effects any more. Now my use of Adobe products are just on Illustrator and Photoshop.
-
Paulrus
- Posts: 67
- Joined: 09 Aug 2009, 09:41
Re: Blackmagic Fusion 7 is released as PRO and free version
The only negative so far has been how they've handled existing customers.
I am on paid maintenance. I heard about the free version via a blog post. I contacted the sales person at Eyeon (now Blackmagic) and was told they had no information for me and I should contact my reseller. I contacted my reseller and they had no idea what was happening and couldn't get any info from Blackmagic. That left me feeling like I'd paid maintenance for something that's now a free product....
I spent some time researching and found that apparently I'll be getting an upgrade to Fusion Studio for free at some point, but I haven't gotten anything official from Blackmagic yet.
It would have been nice if they would have emailed all existing customers first, given us our upgrade, then announce the free version to the public. Since they did it backwards, they're now being overwhelmed and customers are being lost in the shuffle.
-Paul
I am on paid maintenance. I heard about the free version via a blog post. I contacted the sales person at Eyeon (now Blackmagic) and was told they had no information for me and I should contact my reseller. I contacted my reseller and they had no idea what was happening and couldn't get any info from Blackmagic. That left me feeling like I'd paid maintenance for something that's now a free product....
I spent some time researching and found that apparently I'll be getting an upgrade to Fusion Studio for free at some point, but I haven't gotten anything official from Blackmagic yet.
It would have been nice if they would have emailed all existing customers first, given us our upgrade, then announce the free version to the public. Since they did it backwards, they're now being overwhelmed and customers are being lost in the shuffle.
-Paul
-
owei
- Administrator
- Posts: 840
- Joined: 03 Jun 2009, 15:25
- Location: Siegen/Germany
Re: Blackmagic Fusion 7 is released as PRO and free version
Hey Paul!
I did run out of subscription, but to be fair, eyeon did not show up in advance when this ran out..so they did not a good job on that at all. I guess, as this deal was really a fast one, the specific stuff will be figured out in the next time. And, don´t forget, there are limitations for the free license that are showstoppers for me (limited output resolution). And I will update to the paid version for sure. My reseller had no info either, but will contact me, as soon they have the details. For now, I would just say, be patient, at least as an eyeon customer you should be used to be patient ;) I know. So, we will see ..! Keep us posted if you hear anything!
cheers,
oli
I did run out of subscription, but to be fair, eyeon did not show up in advance when this ran out..so they did not a good job on that at all. I guess, as this deal was really a fast one, the specific stuff will be figured out in the next time. And, don´t forget, there are limitations for the free license that are showstoppers for me (limited output resolution). And I will update to the paid version for sure. My reseller had no info either, but will contact me, as soon they have the details. For now, I would just say, be patient, at least as an eyeon customer you should be used to be patient ;) I know. So, we will see ..! Keep us posted if you hear anything!
cheers,
oli
Founder of www.si-community.com
http://www.pixelpanic.de
http://www.pixelpanic.de
-
FXDude
- Posts: 1145
- Joined: 19 Jun 2012, 19:59
Re: Blackmagic Fusion 7 is released as PRO and free version
What I like in Fusion, is there are still many times when 16bits is more than fine (for comp parts not going over <1>)
and therefore often more efficient for entire chunks of comp trees.
(and.. while not priced the price of a new small car. Though the new hobbyist ver is quite welcome
)
Cause Nuke can quickly goble-up all of your ram!
And Fusion has at least 80%-90% as much 'capability/speed' as Nuke
(if not more than 90%, if we could blatantly put a percentage number on that)
but you know, at ~1/9th the price(?)
Fusion seems to be an excellent value. (or more normally priced IMO)
and therefore often more efficient for entire chunks of comp trees.
(and.. while not priced the price of a new small car. Though the new hobbyist ver is quite welcome
Cause Nuke can quickly goble-up all of your ram!
And Fusion has at least 80%-90% as much 'capability/speed' as Nuke
(if not more than 90%, if we could blatantly put a percentage number on that)
but you know, at ~1/9th the price(?)
Fusion seems to be an excellent value. (or more normally priced IMO)
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: Blackmagic Fusion 7 is released as PRO and free version
From the very low-end of the user spectrum, as a starving hobbyist I am obviously thrilled at the prospect to finally ditch Toxik for the rare moments I actually use compositing software. Funny how Fusion still supports the Softimage pic format out of the box BTW (yes I still use that "legacy" format once in a while). And now I finally can put the alembic export to some good use.
This learning curve will, however, keep me from my ongoing efforts to teach myself the joy of animation for a while.
Ah, the joy of apparently “meaningful” procrastinating…
This learning curve will, however, keep me from my ongoing efforts to teach myself the joy of animation for a while.
Ah, the joy of apparently “meaningful” procrastinating…
Stay safe, sane & healthy!