Subscription or extension updates?!

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
Pancho
Posts: 659
Joined: 19 Sep 2010, 09:28

Subscription or extension updates?!

Post by Pancho » 01 Oct 2014, 14:00

Are there any? Either for SI or M? I installed the Maya - SI 2015 version some time ago and think to remember that there were updates at least for Maya. In my subscription center there is only a Maya extension from the 10th of September.

Since the way you can download software from AD is something between confusing and awful I might miss something. Since I didn't receive any notifications from AD directly I'm a bit confused whether I'm too dumb to find the stuff or if there isn't any.

Anybody?

Cheers
Thomas

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: Subscription or extension updates?!

Post by Hirazi Blue » 01 Oct 2014, 14:08

The extension for Maya you've found indeed AFAIK is the only one available ATM. The Service Packs for Maya (no Softimage as of yet, I believe) can be found here. The ongoing refusal of Autodesk to mention Service Packs in the Subscription Center makes the process rather confusing/messy indeed.
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

User avatar
Daniel Brassard
Posts: 878
Joined: 18 Mar 2010, 22:38
Location: St. Thomas, Ontario

Re: Subscription or extension updates?!

Post by Daniel Brassard » 01 Oct 2014, 14:16

Hi Pancho,

as mentionned on this Maya thread

https://www.si-community.com/forum/v ... 5&start=20

The extension one includes all the previous service packs so the only update you need is extension 1.

SI has had no update yet (although one is on the works)

Cheers!
Last edited by Daniel Brassard on 01 Oct 2014, 20:23, edited 1 time in total.
$ifndef "Softimage"
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif

Pancho
Posts: 659
Joined: 19 Sep 2010, 09:28

Re: Subscription or extension updates?!

Post by Pancho » 01 Oct 2014, 14:24

Thanks guys!

I mean, how shitty can it get. 3 places to find to get the software you need. One slot for the original program, one for the extensions and one for the service packs.

If the whole company works this efficently and logical the end of SI might not be related to some evil plans, but to the sheer need to save money because of the incapability of a bloated company structure.

Embarrasing!

User avatar
Rez007
Posts: 609
Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 14:51
Location: Nevada

Re: Subscription or extension updates?!

Post by Rez007 » 01 Oct 2014, 16:02

And you no longer can request a physical shipment of the product you paid for, unless you want to pay an extra $30.00. To some that might not be a problem, but I always prefer to have a physical copy of a product that I own. Seriously, how much can a DVD in plastic cost, when I already pay ~$800/yr for Subscription...

luceric
Posts: 1252
Joined: 21 Jun 2009, 22:08

Re: Subscription or extension updates?!

Post by luceric » 01 Oct 2014, 17:31

In my subscription center there is only a Maya extension from the 10th of September.
OMG sorry to hear there hasn't been a new extension release in almost 20 days. That build must be so old!

On windows/mac, 2015 releases install the Autodesk update manager on you taskbar's notification area which takes care of telling you about and downloading the latest service packs. You can also do Help->Check Updates in maya.

Pancho
Posts: 659
Joined: 19 Sep 2010, 09:28

Re: Subscription or extension updates?!

Post by Pancho » 01 Oct 2014, 17:34

only = no further files

Thanks for the tips.

User avatar
Daniel Brassard
Posts: 878
Joined: 18 Mar 2010, 22:38
Location: St. Thomas, Ontario

Re: Subscription or extension updates?!

Post by Daniel Brassard » 01 Oct 2014, 20:11

To be frank Luceric, the Autodesk update manager is slow for updates and miss the mark quite often. The AUM has not warned me for three of the four Maya updates and some of the 3DMax updates (luckily I check the Area and the Autodesk Knowledge Network often). The downloads take forever and the install even more. The AUM stayed idle for four hours on the latest ReCap update, long enough that I gave up, to found out after reboot that the update was successful.

Autodesk need to seriously revise the AUM, because its not up to the task. My experience: the AUM is the worse updater around by far, and I am on Windows 7 so I get only the service packs not a full update like on Linux or Mac.

I don't look forward for the Softimage update, because those are normally full updates.

If you know a work around to speed up the AUM, please do tell.

Cheers!
$ifndef "Softimage"
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif

luceric
Posts: 1252
Joined: 21 Jun 2009, 22:08

Re: Subscription or extension updates?!

Post by luceric » 01 Oct 2014, 21:24

I don't know about the download speed of the updater, but you generally won't get a notification immediately at the minute the build is posted and announced because that's scattered a bit to prevent server overload. So it's normal to see it announced on twitter but in the update manager 24h to 48h later. The future softimage service pack will be an incremental install, btw, not a full build.