EOL showreel?

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

EOL showreel?

Post by Hirazi Blue » 18 Sep 2014, 12:04

As it has been slightly more than half a year ago that Autodesk pulled the plug from Softimage the first anniversary of this bleak day closes in fast. I’d like to propose finally bundling some effort to produce an EOL showreel, showing the world what kind of work is still being produced on a daily basis using this “defunct” piece of software. While I am willing to coordinate such an effort, I have never created a proper showreel in my time, so I at least could use some extra hands to ultimately complete this task. And the whole project obviously can only succeed, if enough people are willing to offer their work for review and possible inclusion.
Thoughts anyone?
;;)

PS - I don't claim this to be an original idea BTW, but someone has to step up to make it real...
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

User avatar
Draise
Posts: 894
Joined: 09 Oct 2012, 18:48
Skype: ondraise
Location: Colombia

Re: EOL showreel?

Post by Draise » 18 Sep 2014, 16:15

What happened to that collaborative project a lot of people signed onto? The protest video to somehow make viral?

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: EOL showreel?

Post by Hirazi Blue » 19 Sep 2014, 20:39

Your guess is as good as mine I'm afraid. I believe the last we heard from "them" was in April.
But there was a dedicated thread about that initiative, this is a different one... ;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

User avatar
FXDude
Posts: 1145
Joined: 19 Jun 2012, 19:59

Re: EOL showreel?

Post by FXDude » 20 Sep 2014, 15:31

"While I am willing to coordinate such an effort, I have never created a proper showreel in my time, so I at least could use some extra hands to ultimately complete this task."

At some point I thought of making an edit of some sorts, so I'd be willing if you want?

User avatar
Draise
Posts: 894
Joined: 09 Oct 2012, 18:48
Skype: ondraise
Location: Colombia

Re: EOL showreel?

Post by Draise » 20 Sep 2014, 15:44

All the great work done in that other thread edited together would be epic!

This thread to be exact.

User avatar
Rez007
Posts: 609
Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 14:51
Location: Nevada

Re: EOL showreel?

Post by Rez007 » 20 Sep 2014, 16:16

Draise wrote:All the great work done in that other thread edited together would be epic!

This thread to be exact.
As Draise mentioned, I think that link would be the best way to go about getting something out relatively quickly.

Our game made the Autodesk Showreel for 2014 (link to game in signature - below). I think most, if not all, of the videos in that thread are for Film/TV. Our game was completely Softimage as well. If this goes to fruition and you need some material at all from me in the future, please let me know.

Thanks,
Rudy

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: EOL showreel?

Post by Hirazi Blue » 20 Sep 2014, 21:50

The idea was to pick works that have been produced or at least published after the retirement announcement to more or less prove the software is still being used for great things. All of this obviously will only be possible, if enough people are willing to contribute. Will have to cross post this on the Mailing List, if and when I do find the time.
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

User avatar
Rez007
Posts: 609
Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 14:51
Location: Nevada

Re: EOL showreel?

Post by Rez007 » 22 Sep 2014, 16:54

Hirazi Blue wrote:The idea was to pick works that have been produced or at least published after the retirement announcement to more or less prove the software is still being used for great things. All of this obviously will only be possible, if enough people are willing to contribute. Will have to cross post this on the Mailing List, if and when I do find the time.
;)
I think that is going to be very hard to do, as most companies probably already started to make the switch to a different software since that time. I think that limits the available material by quite a bit. Having it be anything Softimage related, past or present - heck, even having Jurassic Park in there - would be beneficial. A lot of people hold onto things for nostalgia reasons, and proving maybe as to how great the software was/is over the its life-cycle can lead up to the more current material like 98% human and more. Just a different way of looking at it I guess.

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: EOL showreel?

Post by Hirazi Blue » 22 Sep 2014, 20:06

You're probably right, but making it "Softimage related, past or present" would make it an unmanagable beast IMHO. Limiting it to "stuff" created after the "retirement" at least could result in a short "sharp" showreel. And the message would be clearer IMHO as well.
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: EOL showreel?

Post by Hirazi Blue » 25 Sep 2014, 10:52

Okay, I ventured on a small detour through the near-mythical land of the Mailing List and it looks as if I have severely underestimated the main problem of this whole endeavor, namely the apparently larger gap between the content producers and the content owners than I had originally envisioned. So that pretty much rules out all the “big names” and requires a rethinking of the whole plan. But now the following plan is starting to take shape: let’s compile a showreel specifically of the work of freelancers and/or small shops, who can conceivably gather the necessary permissions from the ultimate owners of the material themselves, where needed. A “EOL freelance reel” if you will. Any thoughts on that?
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

User avatar
xsi_fanatic
Posts: 283
Joined: 06 Jun 2011, 01:08

Re: EOL showreel?

Post by xsi_fanatic » 25 Sep 2014, 20:46

Hirazi Blue wrote:Okay, I ventured on a small detour through the near-mythical land of the Mailing List and it looks as if I have severely underestimated the main problem of this whole endeavor, namely the apparently larger gap between the content producers and the content owners than I had originally envisioned. So that pretty much rules out all the “big names” and requires a rethinking of the whole plan. But now the following plan is starting to take shape: let’s compile a showreel specifically of the work of freelancers and/or small shops, who can conceivably gather the necessary permissions from the ultimate owners of the material themselves, where needed. A “EOL freelance reel” if you will. Any thoughts on that?
This may come across as silly or slightly out of place to some, but I've been wanting to reproduce the clip below in 3D for a long time now. It is the ending to my all time favourite anime and feel that it deserves a remake in HD. Now with the release of Redshift and Forester, this should be feasible. After I'm done with my current project, which could be in a year or two, I was planning to recreate the clip as my "farewell" reel.

Just thought I might make mention of it since you brought up the idea of the EOL showreel.



User avatar
FXDude
Posts: 1145
Joined: 19 Jun 2012, 19:59

Re: EOL showreel?

Post by FXDude » 26 Sep 2014, 22:46

Unless I'm missing something, from what I gathered, we can fairly use material (especially if small segments) if sources are well cited, (and not to sell anything)

Meaning anyone can make a "my top 10 favorite movie moments", a fan made trailer, or post fitting Darth Vader (or Hitler) video responses without it being unfair or (at all) wrong.

While of course not at all being against showing things made by individuals/freelancers which I agree would be even essential to represent Soft.

Edit: PS: Not suggesting including DarthVader clips :]

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: EOL showreel?

Post by Hirazi Blue » 27 Sep 2014, 12:34

FXDude wrote:Unless I'm missing something, from what I gathered, we can fairly use material (especially if small segments) if sources are well cited, (and not to sell anything)
I don't think you're wrong in this, but so far I have found several contradictory statements as to what what exactly constitutes "fair use". That's why I wanted to gather explicit permissions from the content owners. But that (and even the whole idea, judging by the meager response, really) apperars to be rather unlikely.
It frustrates me immensly, how the Softimage user base collectively doesn't seem to be able to do something creative with Softimage's demise, even if it's merely submitting material that has already been made (and gathering the required permissions).
But at the end of the day, even I have better things to do... i-)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

User avatar
FXDude
Posts: 1145
Joined: 19 Jun 2012, 19:59

Re: EOL showreel?

Post by FXDude » 30 Sep 2014, 00:45

Actually I don't think you really made an official call for content,
and was more at the point of an initial inquiry "What would you think of this?" and which did get a little, yet positive response.

But if people didnt jump right away and send you links..
I think it may have to do with how we know it won't like reverse the decision or anything,
but it may improve the quality of its 'afterlife' as a user-supported software.

User-support of very-probably the finest ever software to be volontarily canned.
(probably because who would ever do that right?)

Speaking of user-support
Since the EOL plugin/compound development (and//or plugin release) has been at an all-time high.

And I think that if its afterlife can be pretty good, apart from SI's still unmatched 'workflow' and things, that it mostly has to do with how the last original Softimage feature, is itself *literally* a feature making machine.

Almost as if as a last feature, it has been 'blessed' with it's own means to independently -evolve- (in very visual or 'very accessible' way).
(also for in-house dev)

Enough to think that Softimage in a few years will probably be at least somewhat different than it is now.

Hey! we just got Delta Mush, .. Muscles, .. and what else? :]

User avatar
Draise
Posts: 894
Joined: 09 Oct 2012, 18:48
Skype: ondraise
Location: Colombia

Re: EOL showreel?

Post by Draise » 30 Sep 2014, 01:55

Agreed, now we know the response, the legalities to face, now.. to put some action, and throw in some links. (And get in touch with those of the "great work in SI" thread for permission to use X number of seconds).

Another thread to drop links/permission/contact details?

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: EOL showreel?

Post by Hirazi Blue » 30 Sep 2014, 10:52

Thank you guys. I let my overall frustration get the better of me. If we can figure out that the permissions are solid, nothing really does stand in the way of a "gathering of links". Only question would seem to be, if this "gathering of links" should be done publicly (i.e. in a thread) or privately (per email). Both do seem to have advantages and disadvantages (contact details for instance would be best kept privately). Would you both be willing to assist in starting this up? In my private situation (and thus OT) I am more or less being forced out of my home at the moment, so I could really use all the help with this project I can get.
:ymhug:
Stay safe, sane & healthy!