Vertex color+envelope=crash

General questions and troubleshooting SOFTIMAGE©
User avatar
rray
Moderator
Posts: 1810
Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
Location: Bonn, Germany

Vertex color+envelope=crash

Post by rray » 13 Sep 2014, 21:45

Hi

I run into this bug quite often, can anyone reproduce before I send it to support?
Run this Javascript code, subdivide the cylinder once, and then move null1 - it should either crash or you should get some weird mesh behavior

Thanks

Code: Select all

CreatePrim("Cylinder", "MeshSurface", null, null);
SetValue("cylinder.cylinder.radius", 0.15, null);
SetValue("cylinder.polymsh.geom.subdivv", 55, null);
SetValue("cylinder.polymsh.geom.subdivu", 55, null);
GetPrim("Null", null, null, null);
GetPrim("Null", null, null, null);
SelectObj("null", null, null);
Translate(null, 0, -2, 0, siRelative, siLocalSymCOG, siObj, siXYZ, null, null, null, null, null, null, null, null, null, 0, null);
ParentObj("null", "null1");
ApplyFlexEnv("cylinder;null,null1", null, 2);
SelectObj("cylinder", null, true);
CreateVertexColorSupport(null, null, null, null);
PaintVertexColors("cylinder", [0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13], [0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13], 1, null);
FreezeModeling(null, null, null);
SetDisplayMode("Camera", "shaded");
softimage resources section updated Sep 26th 2026

julca
Posts: 145
Joined: 07 Sep 2012, 12:24

Re: Vertex color+envelope=crash

Post by julca » 14 Sep 2014, 11:55

Hello,
I just run your script on SI2014, subdivide cylinder and move null1.
It doesn't crash on my side and mesh behavior seem's good : see screenshot below :
screenshot.jpg
I hope you can find a solution.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
rray
Moderator
Posts: 1810
Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
Location: Bonn, Germany

Re: Vertex color+envelope=crash

Post by rray » 14 Sep 2014, 14:55

Hi there,
thanks for checking,
should have been more clear sorry, I meant subdividing using geometry approximation ("+" key once).
That's good, I'll modify the bug report so this is more clear.
What's weird too is, the bug doesn't happen when the subdivision is done inside the script (IncreaseSubdivision command)
-ray
softimage resources section updated Sep 26th 2026

julca
Posts: 145
Joined: 07 Sep 2012, 12:24

Re: Vertex color+envelope=crash

Post by julca » 14 Sep 2014, 16:37

rray wrote: thanks for checking,
You're welcome.
rray wrote: should have been more clear sorry, I meant subdividing using geometry approximation ("+" key once).
Ah ok, just retest with "+" subdivision and I have not crash : see screenshot below :
screenshot_02.jpg
Maybe I'm just lucky ;) ...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
rray
Moderator
Posts: 1810
Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
Location: Bonn, Germany

Re: Vertex color+envelope=crash

Post by rray » 14 Sep 2014, 17:24

Oh that's only on my side then, maybe I have a graphics card issue. I thought it was not on the graphics card side, because I remember having the same issues with my old card (gtx 460, new one is a gtx 660)
Will try some driver updates before I submit the bug (if it's even one)

Tnks again
-ray
_____
edit: on my old pc it works without problems too..
Last edited by rray on 15 Sep 2014, 12:18, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: test
softimage resources section updated Sep 26th 2026

User avatar
whurst
Posts: 46
Joined: 16 Dec 2012, 10:00
Location: Germany

Re: Vertex color+envelope=crash

Post by whurst » 15 Sep 2014, 17:27

SoftImage 2012 SP1 64bit Windows 7 64bit
GTX780ti
Current drivers

Does not crash, but geometry looks like it would like to crash :-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
rray
Moderator
Posts: 1810
Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
Location: Bonn, Germany

Re: Vertex color+envelope=crash

Post by rray » 15 Sep 2014, 21:48

Thanks for checking wolfgang, that's exactly the same glitch I got.. with some other geometries it crashes
-ray
softimage resources section updated Sep 26th 2026

User avatar
myara
Posts: 406
Joined: 28 Sep 2011, 08:33

Re: Vertex color+envelope=crash

Post by myara » 16 Sep 2014, 06:48

I tried with Softimage versions I have in this PC and it went OK in all of them.

2014 SP1
2013 SP1
2011 SP2
2011 SP1

Windows 7 Ultimate
GeForce GTX 650
Driver 314.07

Since I started to have some weird glitches and even crashes when starting Softimage (I mean, it crashed before even start the viewport) I only use this version (314.07) that was recommended in the Autodesk website:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/sy ... 192&hw=291

I think they have newer driver recommendations
M.Yara
Character Modeler | Softimage Generalist (sort of)