Some help with strand size taper

Discussions about SOFTIMAGEs© Interactive Creative Environment©
adrencg
Posts: 196
Joined: 04 May 2012, 22:50

Some help with strand size taper

Post by adrencg » 12 Sep 2014, 22:22

If you go to the ICE menu, and go to Model Library and select Dynamic Hair there's a sphere with dynamic strands that imports. I was able to change the profile of each of the guide strands by going into the Create Strands node and setting the "size profile".

But how do I get that attribute to transfer to the filler strands point cloud? The filler strands have the same diameter all the way down their length and I'd like to make them look like the tapered guides. One thing I can do is not use fillers and just set the number of guides really high -- but that slows down the calculation.


GUIDES tapered properly
Image


FILLERS + GUIDES uniform diameter
Image

User avatar
rray
Moderator
Posts: 1810
Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
Location: Bonn, Germany

Re: Some help with strand size taper

Post by rray » 12 Sep 2014, 23:35

Doesn't the filler point has a create strands node itself where you could set the profile?
It's not the same as inheriting the profile from the guides of course.
What you could try for that.. copy&paste the tree where the StrandPosition attribute gets set, and replace StrandPosition with StrandSize (not sure how it's called exactly).
softimage resources section updated Sep 26th 2026

adrencg
Posts: 196
Joined: 04 May 2012, 22:50

Re: Some help with strand size taper

Post by adrencg » 13 Sep 2014, 01:24

Thanks but I figured it out. Upon drilling deeper in to the filler compound, I found an fcurve node to control the taper.