A nice text from William.
William Vaughan - Shut Up and Get back to Creating
-
MauricioPC
- Moderator
- Posts: 1089
- Joined: 16 Sep 2013, 11:39
-
Lutze
- Posts: 17
- Joined: 19 Mar 2013, 07:22
- Location: Germany
Re: William Vaughan - Shut Up and Get back to Creating
Realy nice and spot-on. From someone like William Vaughan it has even more weight.
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: William Vaughan - Shut Up and Get back to Creating
Hmm, IMHO mister Vaughan rides a pretty high horse here.
What he has to say is definitely not untrue, but it comes across rather patronizing, I'm afraid.
;)
What he has to say is definitely not untrue, but it comes across rather patronizing, I'm afraid.
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
Mathaeus
- Posts: 1778
- Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 19:11
- Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Re: William Vaughan - Shut Up and Get back to Creating
Yeah, such attitude somehow seems to be connected to Lightwave traditions. Didn't noticed anything close to that, in any other 3d app community - except maybe on POV-Ray mail list of the 90s (this one was on really really 'high horse'). Anyway it's interesting that mr Proton is present in Modo forums, too.
-
MauricioPC
- Moderator
- Posts: 1089
- Joined: 16 Sep 2013, 11:39
Re: William Vaughan - Shut Up and Get back to Creating
I had to look what 'high horse' might mean! 
I didn't thought it came out like that, but perhaps he was a little strong on words? In any case, there's a point to what he's saying, because I'm kind of guilty of that. Reading, talking, testing a lot, but actually doing very few.
I'm trying to change that.
I didn't thought it came out like that, but perhaps he was a little strong on words? In any case, there's a point to what he's saying, because I'm kind of guilty of that. Reading, talking, testing a lot, but actually doing very few.
I'm trying to change that.
-
Nox
- Posts: 108
- Joined: 16 Apr 2013, 11:28
Re: William Vaughan - Shut Up and Get back to Creating
Ending notes sounds like some sort of press release...
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: William Vaughan - Shut Up and Get back to Creating
@Mathaeus - Let's not pretend the XSI/Softimage world hasn't seen some rather stubborn high horses of it's own... ;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
Mathaeus
- Posts: 1778
- Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 19:11
- Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Re: William Vaughan - Shut Up and Get back to Creating
Of course this is everywhere, but, if I'm correct, some old LW docs had something like "it's bad artist who blames the tool", so it looks like a kind of semi-official attitude, from some old times. I think it's actually hard to tell is it a good or bad approach - motivated crew can push the boat to go further, but also can keep the rusty boat alive. Really hard to tell, where is sweet spot.Hirazi Blue wrote:@Mathaeus - Let's not pretend the XSI/Softimage world hasn't seen some rather stubborn high horses of it's own... ;)
-
Bullit
- Moderator
- Posts: 2621
- Joined: 24 May 2012, 07:44
Re: William Vaughan - Shut Up and Get back to Creating
I don't agree with him, hardware improved much more than software in last 10 years in our area. The only software area that fulfilled or even improved what improvement to be expected is rendering.
All other parts have had improvements that cannot be said to be a jump in capability. So for me the current software status is disappointing compared with hardware.
All other parts have had improvements that cannot be said to be a jump in capability. So for me the current software status is disappointing compared with hardware.
-
McNistor
- Posts: 605
- Joined: 06 Aug 2009, 15:26
Re: William Vaughan - Shut Up and Get back to Creating
Not particularly original either. Shut up and calculate is a rather well known quote in the physics world which wikipedia apparently attributes it to David Mermin, even though I thought it was Dirac the one who uttered it first.
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides
-Thucydides
-
Draise
- Posts: 894
- Joined: 09 Oct 2012, 18:48
- Skype: ondraise
- Location: Colombia
Re: William Vaughan - Shut Up and Get back to Creating
... I enjoyed the article and agree with it.. I do think the tools may make work easier, obviously, but a house can be built with a hammer which may be a better house than one used with the latest laset fixed concrete printer. Also, maybe building houses more than how you build it should be the industries priority..?
-
Bullit
- Moderator
- Posts: 2621
- Joined: 24 May 2012, 07:44
Re: William Vaughan - Shut Up and Get back to Creating
I like this quote about Math:

Which means the way things are presented, facilitate can have an wide impact in adoption and then results.
A good example of that is Sketchup, modeling building with Sketchup can be fun while a typical modeling might be boring.
When Softimage got the M tool modeling started to have an hint of fun. Approaching more the multicapability of one's hand.
I'll certainly try the new polygon tool when Cinema4D R16 arrives.
The more productive societies are those with less roadblocks.

Which means the way things are presented, facilitate can have an wide impact in adoption and then results.
A good example of that is Sketchup, modeling building with Sketchup can be fun while a typical modeling might be boring.
When Softimage got the M tool modeling started to have an hint of fun. Approaching more the multicapability of one's hand.
I'll certainly try the new polygon tool when Cinema4D R16 arrives.
The more productive societies are those with less roadblocks.