Everybody's talking about it, merely based on this one tweet (hence: well-executed).
edit: corrected stupid typo in title...
Priced at $199, it seems to replace the Apprentice HD version, with the added "limited commercial license",Houdini Indie makes all of Houdini’s animation and VFX tools available under a limited commercial license to independent animators and game makers who want to use Houdini during the incubation stage of their business.
Perpetual licenses are becoming a thing of the past unfortunately. We will tell our grandchildren about them in years to come.Hirazi Blue wrote:True, for both options it's cheap. But I'd be willing to pay more for a perpetual license. I don't want to rent my software.
Much better than FBX is that you have Alembic also.MauricioPC wrote:
And you have full export capabilities through FBX (okay, not the best solution), but you may send it to Modo and render there, for example.
Don't give up! It's taken me a while and I almost stopped a few times but I'm finally starting to feel at home with Houdini.MauricioPC wrote:I've just downloaded the apprentice version to see if I finally learn this darn thing.
Oh, I agree with Sam also. It's getting exceedingly difficult to get software that sports a perpetual license. That said: I will NOT rent my software and will rather "retire" than give in to that way of doing business. Matter of principle and all that jazz...angus_davidson wrote:I agree with Sam on this one. Its going to get much harder to get a perpetual licence of anything.
Same goes for Maya, as it turns out...SamHowell wrote:Don't give up! It's taken me a while and I almost stopped a few times but I'm finally starting to feel at home with Houdini.