Rendering Pre-Processing, from the start each time?

Discussions about SOFTIMAGEs© Interactive Creative Environment©
User avatar
claudevervoort
Posts: 89
Joined: 16 Oct 2009, 00:56
Location: Montréal, QC, Canada

Rendering Pre-Processing, from the start each time?

Post by claudevervoort » 17 Mar 2010, 18:25

Hi!

I'm trying to render a simulation, and as the rendering progresses, the pre-processing increases too. I've definitely isolated the pre-processing to the point clouds (hiding them leads to no pre-processing). The number of particles in the scene is somewhat constant though (around 700, but some are added while some others are deleted). I've tried to bake the simulation to see if that would help but not that much after all.

When I do an OpenGL capture, each frame is rendered in somewhat constant time, and that's quick! So I start thinking that the pre-processing is actually running the simulation (or loading/processing all the cached simulation files) up to the current frame which explains the linear growth in time to process each frame, and the exponential growth of the total rendering time for the whole sim.

Is that the case? (doing a plain Render Pass from the GUI).

Thanks!

Claude

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: Rendering Pre-Processing, from the start each time?

Post by Hirazi Blue » 17 Mar 2010, 18:33

What version are you using?
Are you using any instanced geometry?
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

User avatar
claudevervoort
Posts: 89
Joined: 16 Oct 2009, 00:56
Location: Montréal, QC, Canada

Re: Rendering Pre-Processing, from the start each time?

Post by claudevervoort » 17 Mar 2010, 19:22

I'm on 2010 64.

And yes I do have instanced geometry for one of the point clouds, with animation (a little loop).

Claude

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: Rendering Pre-Processing, from the start each time?

Post by Hirazi Blue » 17 Mar 2010, 19:26

There seems to be a problem with rendering & instanced geometry.
Bradley Gabe posted the following on the infamous XSI Mailing List:
ICE Instanced Geometry :-?
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

User avatar
claudevervoort
Posts: 89
Joined: 16 Oct 2009, 00:56
Location: Montréal, QC, Canada

Re: Rendering Pre-Processing, from the start each time?

Post by claudevervoort » 17 Mar 2010, 20:06

Bummer! Thanks for the pointer! Wondering now if I should wait for Si2011 to render my scene (as my rendering is going, it might anyway end up in 2011 ;) ).

Claude

User avatar
xsisupport
Posts: 713
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:02
Location: Montreal Canada

Re: Rendering Pre-Processing, from the start each time?

Post by xsisupport » 17 Mar 2010, 23:37

Did you try rendering from the command-line, and rendering smaller framesets each time? (eg render 5 frames at a time).
// Steve Blair
// "You're not a runner, you're just a guy who runs" -- my wife
//
// My Blogs: Arnold | Softimage

User avatar
origin
Posts: 619
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:59
Location: warsaw

Re: Rendering Pre-Processing, from the start each time?

Post by origin » 18 Mar 2010, 00:45

Instance shape is also affected...Solution is to render in chunks...I wonder if brand new shiny mray in 2011 fixed all those standins/instances problems

User avatar
claudevervoort
Posts: 89
Joined: 16 Oct 2009, 00:56
Location: Montréal, QC, Canada

Re: Rendering Pre-Processing, from the start each time?

Post by claudevervoort » 18 Mar 2010, 00:51

(sorry if this is an echo, seems like I posted at the same time as origin and somehow my post does not show up).

Thanks for the feedback. Earlier today I did stop the render and restarted from the last rendered frame, and I noticed the pre-processing is back to initial level. Was not sure what to get from that, but your comments shed lights on that: chunks seems like the way to go :)

thanks again!

Claude

NNois
Posts: 754
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 18:33

Re: Rendering Pre-Processing, from the start each time?

Post by NNois » 18 Mar 2010, 09:55

i've found that using Royal render in this case is very helpfull. Using Sequence divide and Multiples Instances to "fill the blanks"
Also limiting the number of subframes of the instances in ICE is also helpfull

Nono

User avatar
claudevervoort
Posts: 89
Joined: 16 Oct 2009, 00:56
Location: Montréal, QC, Canada

Re: Rendering Pre-Processing, from the start each time?

Post by claudevervoort » 18 Mar 2010, 23:41

Nono, what do you mean by Royal Render? Sounds good by the name of it :)