Softimage crashes when trying to access an action [SOLVED]

General questions and troubleshooting SOFTIMAGE©
Jho
Posts: 49
Joined: 12 Feb 2013, 06:57

Softimage crashes when trying to access an action [SOLVED]

Post by Jho » 10 Jul 2014, 06:21

Hi all.

I've had this annoying problem for a few days now and haven't been able to find a solution.

I'm working on a scene where I have a character with some animations. The scene was working perfectly well when I first created it but the next day it started to crash when ever I open the explorer and try to click the character model. It gives this error message as it crashes:

# ERROR : 2000 - Unable to save object (bu_temp98545_eani) of type ([CLSID\{12A3EFC5-E543-11D2-B352-00105A1E6CE9}] : %SUMATRAPATH%\action.dll)

bu_temp98545_eani is one of the actions I used to import animation to the scene. It's not even doing anything. I baked all the animation to keyframes after importing. I would delete the action and see if that helps but I can't access it without SI crashing.

I'm using Softimage 2013 SP1 on Win7.



EDIT:
Just found from ScriptLog that it gives this error a bunch of times:

(null) # WARNING : 3000 - Cannot apply Delta _ig, because the target model male1_rig.Delta1 is invalid.

So the problem could be with Delta1 then. What is that?
I know it has something to do with the model being referenced, but turning the character local didn't help.

EDIT2:
I was able to get the scene working by deleting all the deltas using script editor (Application.DeleteObj("male1_rig.Delta")) and restarting. I guess the problem was that I have a model inside the character model named "_ig".
It's called that because our game engine ignores things whose name start with a _, and so I store stuff I don't want to export there. So my guess is that when SI creates a delta for the _ig model, it gets confused. I'll continue reporting as the mystery unravels. Maybe someone someday will have the same issue.

EDIT3:
Yeah, no... Deleting the deltas also erases the animation... Which I guess, is a bit obvious now that I think about it :)
Only deleting the _ig model's delta didn't work for some reason.
Anyways, I was able to rescue my animation by making the model local and restarting (I tried it without restarting earlier and it didn't work then). Stored the animation and imported it to a fresh scene. I dropped the _ from the _ig model, so I hope the problem is now solved. It's a pity though. I really needed an ignore feature.

But I guess this is pretty much solved. If anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it.

User avatar
FXDude
Posts: 1145
Joined: 19 Jun 2012, 19:59

Re: Softimage crashes when trying to access an action [SOLVED]

Post by FXDude » 11 Jul 2014, 01:11

I was about to suggest the good old merging into a fresh scene trick, But glad you solved it :]