freeze texture projection but keep ICE tree

Discussions about SOFTIMAGEs© Interactive Creative Environment©
clankill3r
Posts: 131
Joined: 21 Oct 2012, 13:36

freeze texture projection but keep ICE tree

Post by clankill3r » 08 Jul 2014, 18:52

When i freeze my texture projection then my ICE tree is removed.
How can I freeze with keeping the ICE tree?

I tried it the following way:

http://download.autodesk.com/global/docs/softimage2012/en_us/userguide/index.html?url=files/tex_applying_FreezingTextureProjections.htm,topicNumber=d28e336177

NNois
Posts: 754
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 18:33

Re: freeze texture projection but keep ICE tree

Post by NNois » 09 Jul 2014, 01:30

move your TextureOp under your ice tree in the stack
- yes you can move it! and check his position by hovering it, says "read from above Ice tree" (not good ;-) )
- and right clic the TextureOp "freeze"

clankill3r
Posts: 131
Joined: 21 Oct 2012, 13:36

Re: freeze texture projection but keep ICE tree

Post by clankill3r » 09 Jul 2014, 09:48

That's what i do, see here:



I hit freeze when i move my mouse to bottom right corner.
But as you can see the ICE tree is gone after hitting freeze.

NNois
Posts: 754
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 18:33

Re: freeze texture projection but keep ICE tree

Post by NNois » 09 Jul 2014, 10:39

Well, as i said if you don't move the "TextureOp(located on your texture projection)" under your icetree it's not going to work as your projection need your ice tree...

clankill3r
Posts: 131
Joined: 21 Oct 2012, 13:36

Re: freeze texture projection but keep ICE tree

Post by clankill3r » 10 Jul 2014, 09:18

Where is the "TextureOp" ?
You mean "Clusters > Texture_Coordinates_AUTO1" ? I can't move that.
Also that is already below the ICE tree, or do you mean that the ICE tree has to be below it?

NNois
Posts: 754
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 18:33

Re: freeze texture projection but keep ICE tree

Post by NNois » 10 Jul 2014, 11:42

this one, if you hover it this says "read from above Geometry" so in this case if you right clic the textureop and click "freeze" from there, he freeze the projection but not the ice tree.

and you can move this tectureop on the place you want

Beside that did you check the scene i made for you on the other thread ???
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
myara
Posts: 406
Joined: 28 Sep 2011, 08:33

Re: freeze texture projection but keep ICE tree

Post by myara » 11 Jul 2014, 04:25

When you click Freeze, it will freeze your selection and everything below it. Right click and Freeze does the same.
Ex: If you are selecting a polygon mesh, it will freeze the entire polygon mesh. If you select an operator it will freeze the operator and everything below it.

If you click Freeze M it will freeze everything under the Modeling stack, no matter if you are selecting only a cluster. So if you select a cluster or a property it is probable that Softimage will ignore your specific selection and Freeze M the entire object.

Now, I don't know if you know this, but Softimage starts evaluating from the bottom to the top. So you can freeze Modeling stack without affecting Animation stack, but not the opposite. So, if you freeze an operator, it will freeze everything below it and keep everything on top intact.

You can move operators (not always though) to change the order they are evaluated and even move them between stacks (not always though).
Ex: evaluate your ICE Tree after or before your envelope or other deformers.

You can only freeze operators and stacks.

So, what you want is to select your Texture Operator, not the cluster, the Operator, in your case it should be CameraTxt or something, and Freeze just like the sample says.

If you want to use FreezeM in the future without affecting your ICE tree, move your ICE Tree over the Modeling stack.

You don't have a TextureOp because you are using a Camera Projection (which is called CameraTxt). Anyway you don't need to move it. In fact don't think you can move Texture Operators at all.

BTW, I'm not sure what NNois is referring with moving the TextureOp thing, and I'm not following your project so I'm not sure what are you doing either.
M.Yara
Character Modeler | Softimage Generalist (sort of)

NNois
Posts: 754
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 18:33

Re: freeze texture projection but keep ICE tree

Post by NNois » 11 Jul 2014, 06:39

I can confirm you can move the texture operator. Take it, move it. Then check by hovering it. Same result than swim/stick etc but more granular

User avatar
Mathaeus
Posts: 1778
Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 19:11
Location: Zagreb, Croatia

Re: freeze texture projection but keep ICE tree

Post by Mathaeus » 12 Jul 2014, 00:14

clankill3r wrote:When i freeze my texture projection then my ICE tree is removed.
How can I freeze with keeping the ICE tree?

I tried it the following way:

http://download.autodesk.com/global/docs/softimage2012/en_us/userguide/index.html?url=files/tex_applying_FreezingTextureProjections.htm,topicNumber=d28e336177
I'm afraid you can't. It's same behavior as with non ICE operators, like tweaks or projections in texture editor, for example. Once ICE tree is doing something with specific texture projection, vertex colors or like, it's tied to that property, regardless of ICE tree position in stack. You're actually freezing the operator on property, not property itself.
But, you always can workaround this, by copying the entire ICE tree ( everything except root node) before freezing, then pasting the chain of nodes into newly created ICE tree. Or, by taking the result from ICE tree on another mesh. Or just creating a plain copy of mesh and freezing that copy.

edit: a bit of nit picking: operator's place in stack, this has sense when it comes to deformations (ICE tree sets the point position). When it's about properties like texture projection, weight map, vertex color - order seems to be established by, what's ICE tree sets. So, it's possible to have a non simulated ICE tree in animation region, setting something on texture projection down in modelling region, or something similar, as long as there is no dependency cycle.

clankill3r
Posts: 131
Joined: 21 Oct 2012, 13:36

Re: freeze texture projection but keep ICE tree

Post by clankill3r » 18 Jul 2014, 11:31

Thanks all, what I do now is:
I dragged the Ice tree under Shape Modelling, if I freeze CameraTxt now then my Ice tree doesn't get deleted.

NNois, I will look in the other topic now. I was sick this week hence the delay.