After a long leave from hobbyist CG activities, I wanted to take XSI out for a spin again. I suppose I will not have to worry about keeping up with new feature for too long
So I have a real simple scene here:
I am using the river road HDR+LDR set to light it. I have set up the reflection/refraction and visible background with my pass like so:
This contributes nothing to the FinalGathering. I have used the low resolution HDRI with the user_ibl_env shader with the following settings:
I have tried to match my render options closely to Nox's, as mentioned here.
And I have gotten a really grainy test render, like so:

So, I am in need of some education here. What are my options? I am not entirely sure what FG is doing here. Should I try to use GI still? Raising area light samples to 15x15 or 20x20 shows marginal change in the noise level. Raising ibl samples slows the render down drastically.