http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/warpzone ... -low-price
Wonder how is the acceptance of Maya LT with game designers. Are they going the Maya LT way instead of Modo (as an example)?
Maya LT new pricing ...
-
angus_davidson
- Posts: 583
- Joined: 20 Dec 2012, 04:13
- Skype: ithacapellin
Re: Maya LT new pricing ...
People dont massively drop the price for no reason. I am assuming the uptake was less then stellar. Hell if they released Softimage 2015 for $20 a month they would probably get more people.MauricioPC wrote:http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/warpzone ... -low-price
Wonder how is the acceptance of Maya LT with game designers. Are they going the Maya LT way instead of Modo (as an example)?
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University
-
Mathaeus
- Posts: 1778
- Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 19:11
- Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Re: Maya LT new pricing ...
That I know, locally, majority is on Max, without any sign of change, together with somehow typical intentional ignorance about anything else. Some are still on Lightwave. Blender is only that grows, but little - let's say, for "those who are not married, yet"MauricioPC wrote: Wonder how is the acceptance of Maya LT with game designers. Are they going the Maya LT way instead of Modo (as an example)?
There is a practice to use the certain 3d app as general exporting tool, for much more than models and animation. Even things like fog/particle setups, where engine runs an equivalent of what you set in 3d app. Matt Lind gave a lot of examples, how this works in A league - but in B or C league, principle is same.
Once one 3d app is chosen for that purpose, no way to replace it, through the years.
Anyway, in long run, five or seven years from now, perhaps we'll see some changes. For Modo, these five or seven years started to count around 601, imho. Maya... there is somehow bad reputation when it comes to modeling in this app, and this won't change with only two versions.
-
Nick3d
- Posts: 71
- Joined: 10 Aug 2011, 12:16
Re: Maya LT new pricing ...
Recently Houdini is trying to get into the game development market by releasing the Unity engine, and I have to say, its quite good....but the main "problem" is that Max has been the main 3d app to develop games, you can clearly see that even with all the plugins that the developers themself release to work with their game engine, so is not something that is going to change in short time.
Odd thing is that they're focusing way too much on Maya LT for game development, but the polys limit and the scripting limit is a big deal for lots of people...I guess they're just focusing on what's hot right now, that is iOS/Android games, which don't require too much geometry...
Maya LT has some neat features and probably indie developers will be tempted to use it ( price is reasonable ), but Modo, Houdini and other software are getting better and better, but still far to be a proper good alternative to Max.
Personally I'll switch to Maya LT in a short time especially for game development, I don't even consider Max at all ( hate it, worked with it for 4 years before switching to Softimage ), but I guess it'll be painfull
Odd thing is that they're focusing way too much on Maya LT for game development, but the polys limit and the scripting limit is a big deal for lots of people...I guess they're just focusing on what's hot right now, that is iOS/Android games, which don't require too much geometry...
Maya LT has some neat features and probably indie developers will be tempted to use it ( price is reasonable ), but Modo, Houdini and other software are getting better and better, but still far to be a proper good alternative to Max.
Personally I'll switch to Maya LT in a short time especially for game development, I don't even consider Max at all ( hate it, worked with it for 4 years before switching to Softimage ), but I guess it'll be painfull
-
Mathaeus
- Posts: 1778
- Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 19:11
- Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Re: Maya LT new pricing ...
Just for info, in Maya LT, exporting limit is raised up to 65k in case of FBX. In case of 'send to Unity' option, there is no limit at all. So, I'd say, exporting limit is more symbolic thing, for now.
-
myara
- Posts: 406
- Joined: 28 Sep 2011, 08:33
Re: Maya LT new pricing ...
First, you have to define game development.
Maya LT is not for PS3/4, Xbox like game development. No one uses it.
Maya LT is for small titles using Unity. Cellphone games, indie games.
- Games = PS4 like game development:
What software is being used in game development depends on where you live, but I'm pretty sure Maya positioning is huge.
In Japan, I would say that about 60% is Maya, 35% was Softimage (most probably changing to Maya in the near future making it 95%) and 5%, Max. I haven't seen a Lightwave based project since Playstation 2.
I'm talking about final DCC formats, because I know a lot of Modo users that convert their data to Maya or whatever the project is based on (and companies that allow this workflow). I do everything I can in Softimage, and never do anything from scratch in Maya or Max.
In the US, AFAIK, Max was dominating the market a few years ago, but a lot of game developers (BioWare, Blizzard, etc) are changing to Maya or mixing their pipelines with Maya.
- Games = Small titles, Cellphone, Indies, etc:
I don't know any company that is using Maya LT.
The reason is that a lot of them can't survive working only in their small titles. They have fund themselves working for big companies (outsourcing assets) and to do that they need Maya (or/and Max or/and SI). Adding MayaLTs to the pipeline may cause problems in data exchange, tools compatibility, etc.
So, who is using MayaLT ? No idea.
Maya LT is not for PS3/4, Xbox like game development. No one uses it.
Maya LT is for small titles using Unity. Cellphone games, indie games.
- Games = PS4 like game development:
What software is being used in game development depends on where you live, but I'm pretty sure Maya positioning is huge.
In Japan, I would say that about 60% is Maya, 35% was Softimage (most probably changing to Maya in the near future making it 95%) and 5%, Max. I haven't seen a Lightwave based project since Playstation 2.
I'm talking about final DCC formats, because I know a lot of Modo users that convert their data to Maya or whatever the project is based on (and companies that allow this workflow). I do everything I can in Softimage, and never do anything from scratch in Maya or Max.
In the US, AFAIK, Max was dominating the market a few years ago, but a lot of game developers (BioWare, Blizzard, etc) are changing to Maya or mixing their pipelines with Maya.
- Games = Small titles, Cellphone, Indies, etc:
I don't know any company that is using Maya LT.
The reason is that a lot of them can't survive working only in their small titles. They have fund themselves working for big companies (outsourcing assets) and to do that they need Maya (or/and Max or/and SI). Adding MayaLTs to the pipeline may cause problems in data exchange, tools compatibility, etc.
So, who is using MayaLT ? No idea.
M.Yara
Character Modeler | Softimage Generalist (sort of)
Character Modeler | Softimage Generalist (sort of)
-
Nick3d
- Posts: 71
- Joined: 10 Aug 2011, 12:16
Re: Maya LT new pricing ...
Newcomers or additional "big studios" workstation for small related projects maybe?myara wrote:First, you have to define game development.
So, who is using MayaLT ? No idea.
Anyway the price is quite low and I guess it can be a good answer to piracy, or just someone who would like to learn to use that software, even because you can use it commercially.
-
Mathaeus
- Posts: 1778
- Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 19:11
- Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Re: Maya LT new pricing ...
well, all what that say, it's how world is differentmyara wrote: In Japan, I would say that about 60% is Maya, 35% was Softimage (most probably changing to Maya in the near future making it 95%) and 5%, Max. I haven't seen a Lightwave based project since Playstation 2.
I'm talking about final DCC formats, because I know a lot of Modo users that convert their data to Maya or whatever the project is based on (and companies that allow this workflow). I do everything I can in Softimage, and never do anything from scratch in Maya or Max.
In the US, AFAIK, Max was dominating the market a few years ago, but a lot of game developers (BioWare, Blizzard, etc) are changing to Maya or mixing their pipelines with Maya.
- Games = Small titles, Cellphone, Indies, etc:
I don't know any company that is using Maya LT.
The reason is that a lot of them can't survive working only in their small titles. They have fund themselves working for big companies (outsourcing assets) and to do that they need Maya (or/and Max or/and SI). Adding MayaLTs to the pipeline may cause problems in data exchange, tools compatibility, etc.
So, who is using MayaLT ? No idea.
-
MauricioPC
- Moderator
- Posts: 1089
- Joined: 16 Sep 2013, 11:39
Re: Maya LT new pricing ...
In any case, it's interesting they are lowering the price, the same for Mudbox. The tools are good, but I guess they don't have enough acceptance yet.
I must say that 2016 will be a very good version for Maya as I get they are looking a lot into UI, Workflow. I just find Maya still very unstable, but maybe it was always me.
I must say that 2016 will be a very good version for Maya as I get they are looking a lot into UI, Workflow. I just find Maya still very unstable, but maybe it was always me.