Softimage landing page on Maxon.net...
-
noseman
- Posts: 55
- Joined: 08 Mar 2014, 20:36
Softimage landing page on Maxon.net...
http://www.maxon.net/softimage
I think this is what Maxon announced at FMX.
There are links for downloading the trial, as well as a free Digital tutors series for SI users interested in Cinema 4D, and some Cineversity free lessons.
I think this is what Maxon announced at FMX.
There are links for downloading the trial, as well as a free Digital tutors series for SI users interested in Cinema 4D, and some Cineversity free lessons.
a Mac, Cinema 4D & half a brain are all the tools I need
-
MauricioPC
- Moderator
- Posts: 1089
- Joined: 16 Sep 2013, 11:39
Re: Softimage landing page on Maxon.net...
Thanks for the link noseman. That's nice since SI users can trial the demo and watch a intro just to get up to speed.
It'll help with possible decisions.
It'll help with possible decisions.
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: Softimage landing page on Maxon.net...
Still missing Maxon's "super-duper" (90% off, only today
) migration offer for Softimage users...
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
MauricioPC
- Moderator
- Posts: 1089
- Joined: 16 Sep 2013, 11:39
Re: Softimage landing page on Maxon.net...
But you got the super-cool 100% off AD offer to Max or Maya.Hirazi Blue wrote:Still missing Maxon's "super-duper" (90% off, only today) migration offer for Softimage users...
-
owei
- Administrator
- Posts: 840
- Joined: 03 Jun 2009, 15:25
- Location: Siegen/Germany
Re: Softimage landing page on Maxon.net...
RightMauricioPC wrote:But you got the super-cool 100% off AD offer to Max or Maya.Hirazi Blue wrote:Still missing Maxon's "super-duper" (90% off, only today) migration offer for Softimage users...
" We want to deliver better tools, faster..!"
Marc Stevens in the SOFTIMAGE|EOL video
Founder of www.si-community.com
http://www.pixelpanic.de
http://www.pixelpanic.de
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: Softimage landing page on Maxon.net...
Frankly (and all joking aside) I seriously would have considered a switch to Cinema 4D, had they made me decent offer back then. I always liked Cinema 4D, having worked with it a long while back. Due to my financial situation, however, I didn't like their apparent "blank indifference". And now it's water under the bridge, at least to me...But you got the super-cool 100% off AD offer to Max or Maya.
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
MauricioPC
- Moderator
- Posts: 1089
- Joined: 16 Sep 2013, 11:39
Re: Softimage landing page on Maxon.net...
Yeah, I do feel like they missed an opportunity here. It looks like they're paying attention but they took a long time to do something I guess.Hirazi Blue wrote:Frankly (and all joking aside) I seriously would have considered a switch to Cinema 4D, had they made me decent offer back then. I always liked Cinema 4D, having worked with it a long while back. Due to my financial situation, however, I didn't like their apparent "blank indifference". And now it's water under the bridge, at least to me...But you got the super-cool 100% off AD offer to Max or Maya.
;)
Luckily I have a student license which will give me a discount when I buy the commercial version, but for those who don't have it, a migration offer would have been nice.
-
angus_davidson
- Posts: 583
- Joined: 20 Dec 2012, 04:13
- Skype: ithacapellin
Re: Softimage landing page on Maxon.net...
Still waiting 18 months from the offer of educational licences from Maxon to the local reseller actually installing it. However even if that wasnt an issue after the Softimage EOL EDU shitstorm we have no choice but to go with an industry standard. In South Africa those were Maya and Softimage. Now just Maya. However none of the studios in the local industry we have canvased seem to be going Cinema 4D.
Most are going Houdini or Modo Houdini, pretty much all that have tried Maya from Softimage have dropped it with a big Hell No.
There definitely seems to have been an opportunity lost. Also for emerging markets (ie anywhere out of US and Europe) the price is just to high compared to Modo.
That been said I did enjoy the demo I played with far more then I like the new Maya.
Most are going Houdini or Modo Houdini, pretty much all that have tried Maya from Softimage have dropped it with a big Hell No.
There definitely seems to have been an opportunity lost. Also for emerging markets (ie anywhere out of US and Europe) the price is just to high compared to Modo.
That been said I did enjoy the demo I played with far more then I like the new Maya.
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University
-
MauricioPC
- Moderator
- Posts: 1089
- Joined: 16 Sep 2013, 11:39
Re: Softimage landing page on Maxon.net...
To add up, here's a link I posted on the FMX event, about a discussion of how Softimage Users can see the capabilities of Cinema 4D.
Podium discussion: CINEMA 4D as a supplement or alternative to Softimage - Florian Bruchhäuser (LIGA01), Oliver Meiseberg (MAXON), Matthias Zabiegly (AixSponza)
As for your problem Angus ... it's so strange Maxon don't work out something for you guys. This is the time to expand the userbase and they seem to be hearing, since I've seen some videos of Maxon CEO talking more openly about their plans (Houdini Engine, etc).
I for one have abandoned Maya for good now. Only playing with Max and C4D. I would go all C4D as I like it a lot, but I also like to play some FX destruction and in that area C4D doesn't have much, so Max is here for my enjoyment.
Podium discussion: CINEMA 4D as a supplement or alternative to Softimage - Florian Bruchhäuser (LIGA01), Oliver Meiseberg (MAXON), Matthias Zabiegly (AixSponza)
As for your problem Angus ... it's so strange Maxon don't work out something for you guys. This is the time to expand the userbase and they seem to be hearing, since I've seen some videos of Maxon CEO talking more openly about their plans (Houdini Engine, etc).
I for one have abandoned Maya for good now. Only playing with Max and C4D. I would go all C4D as I like it a lot, but I also like to play some FX destruction and in that area C4D doesn't have much, so Max is here for my enjoyment.
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: Softimage landing page on Maxon.net...
Personally I think Maxon simply adopted sort of the wrong strategy on the Softimage retirement. They are obviously and rightfully wooing customers now and this would seem right and proper given that most of the decision making concerning the transition probably hasn't yet been made. But: those companies who applied themselves earlier have made a greater impact from a "goodwill" perspective. Hadn't Autodesk changed its stance on the prolonged usage of Softimage, I probably would have gladly jumped to Lightwave or Modo, as those two companies cleverly stepped in the moment it hurt the most. That's marketing 101, I'm afraid...
And like I said, had Maxon made me a decent offer, before I had to decide to renew my subscription...
;)
And like I said, had Maxon made me a decent offer, before I had to decide to renew my subscription...
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
MauricioPC
- Moderator
- Posts: 1089
- Joined: 16 Sep 2013, 11:39
Re: Softimage landing page on Maxon.net...
I see what you are saying Hirazi and I agree, but for me LW or Modo don't work in the sense I feel C4D is a lot more robust and thought out package.
But this is just preference wise.
But this is just preference wise.
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: Softimage landing page on Maxon.net...
Don't get me wrong: I fully agree.
In the end I chose the dreaded Maya for its feature set, even though I had "some misgivings" towards the company
(oh and there, admittedly, was a severe lack of funds involved!).
My objection as to Maxon's strategy merely stated that they should've applied themselves earlier on IMHO.
They won't easily get those who jumped on the Modo bandwagon already (and from what I gather there are quite a few) back to Maxon-land, I'm afraid.
In the end I chose the dreaded Maya for its feature set, even though I had "some misgivings" towards the company
(oh and there, admittedly, was a severe lack of funds involved!).
My objection as to Maxon's strategy merely stated that they should've applied themselves earlier on IMHO.
They won't easily get those who jumped on the Modo bandwagon already (and from what I gather there are quite a few) back to Maxon-land, I'm afraid.
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
MauricioPC
- Moderator
- Posts: 1089
- Joined: 16 Sep 2013, 11:39
Re: Softimage landing page on Maxon.net...
Just saw this as well ... a training intro for animation in C4D.
https://cmivfx.com/store/596-Cinema+4D+ ... Principles
Generally speaking, cmiVFX makes some discounts (30%) near major events (like NAB, Siggraph, etc), so if you are interested it's worth waiting a little before buying.
https://cmivfx.com/store/596-Cinema+4D+ ... Principles
Generally speaking, cmiVFX makes some discounts (30%) near major events (like NAB, Siggraph, etc), so if you are interested it's worth waiting a little before buying.
-
pluMmet
- Posts: 217
- Joined: 18 Jan 2011, 17:37
- Skype: bigcuberight
Re: Softimage landing page on Maxon.net...
noseman wrote:http://www.maxon.net/softimage
I think this is what Maxon announced at FMX.
There are links for downloading the trial, as well as a free Digital tutors series for SI users interested in Cinema 4D, and some Cineversity free lessons.
I miss how we get that training free?
Duh!! it's early, just woke up
-
noseman
- Posts: 55
- Joined: 08 Mar 2014, 20:36
Re: Softimage landing page on Maxon.net...
go here:pluMmet wrote:I miss how we get that training free?
http://www.cineversity.com/search/playlists/
and select "Access type" Free
a Mac, Cinema 4D & half a brain are all the tools I need
-
pluMmet
- Posts: 217
- Joined: 18 Jan 2011, 17:37
- Skype: bigcuberight
Re: Softimage landing page on Maxon.net...
Wow thxnoseman wrote:go here:pluMmet wrote:I miss how we get that training free?
http://www.cineversity.com/search/playlists/
and select "Access type" Free