using states
-
thorsnuts
- Posts: 153
- Joined: 08 Oct 2012, 17:42
using states
Hello..
Can anybody help with what Im missing?
I would like the particles to stick to the surface and then decrease its size over time. Getting them to stick is no problem, but I cant seen to figure out how to use the second state.
I don't know what Im missing to switch from one state to the next.
any ideas?
thank you
Can anybody help with what Im missing?
I would like the particles to stick to the surface and then decrease its size over time. Getting them to stick is no problem, but I cant seen to figure out how to use the second state.
I don't know what Im missing to switch from one state to the next.
any ideas?
thank you
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
xsisupport
- Posts: 713
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:02
- Location: Montreal Canada
Re: using states
You can do it like this:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by xsisupport on 02 Jun 2014, 18:39, edited 1 time in total.
-
thorsnuts
- Posts: 153
- Joined: 08 Oct 2012, 17:42
Re: using states
Ok, I figured it out... thanks anyway.
I'll give you my thought process.
What I needed was the particles to stick to a surface and then get smaller over time. Getting them to stick was no problem, the shrinking over time was the pain in the neck. So I tested the particle age and at a certain time it would trigger the second state, which is to get smaller over time. But they popped a bit from the current size to a new size... so I used a get particle size to keep its current size and shrunk them from there.
thanks again,
I'll give you my thought process.
What I needed was the particles to stick to a surface and then get smaller over time. Getting them to stick was no problem, the shrinking over time was the pain in the neck. So I tested the particle age and at a certain time it would trigger the second state, which is to get smaller over time. But they popped a bit from the current size to a new size... so I used a get particle size to keep its current size and shrunk them from there.
thanks again,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
thorsnuts
- Posts: 153
- Joined: 08 Oct 2012, 17:42
Re: using states
thanks Steve. didn't see this in time, but I do appreciate it.
did you do something special to the Stick to Surface node?
did you do something special to the Stick to Surface node?
-
xsisupport
- Posts: 713
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:02
- Location: Montreal Canada
Re: using states
No, I just added something to demonstrate (to myself) that it wasn't being executed after the state change. My tree would work with the factory version of node.thorsnuts wrote:thanks Steve. didn't see this in time, but I do appreciate it.
did you do something special to the Stick to Surface node?
-
thorsnuts
- Posts: 153
- Joined: 08 Oct 2012, 17:42
Re: using states
after seeing my second tree... is it convoluted at all for what Im trying to achieve? The end result works but I was wondering if your tree does the same exact as my second.
I mean I can try it out later... just wanted your take on it.
thanks
I mean I can try it out later... just wanted your take on it.
thanks
-
thorsnuts
- Posts: 153
- Joined: 08 Oct 2012, 17:42
Re: using states
A better question... how would I get them to shrink from the point of contact? Right now they shrink from the center, which is a little weird for the look Im going for.
thanks for the time
thanks for the time
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
Bullit
- Moderator
- Posts: 2621
- Joined: 24 May 2012, 07:44
Re: using states
One option is to use instances and change its pivot.
-
thorsnuts
- Posts: 153
- Joined: 08 Oct 2012, 17:42
Re: using states
that's a great idea.. thank you
-
thorsnuts
- Posts: 153
- Joined: 08 Oct 2012, 17:42
Re: using states
Hello,
Im hoping someone could help me understand what I've done wrong in this tree. One little thing isn't working and I cant figure it out.
when I plug the get particles size node into Modify Particle Size.. the particles disappear.
Im trying to keep the size of the particles at the stage they are in when they stick to surface. How can I do that?
thanks for the time.
Im hoping someone could help me understand what I've done wrong in this tree. One little thing isn't working and I cant figure it out.
when I plug the get particles size node into Modify Particle Size.. the particles disappear.
Im trying to keep the size of the particles at the stage they are in when they stick to surface. How can I do that?
thanks for the time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
Bullit
- Moderator
- Posts: 2621
- Joined: 24 May 2012, 07:44
Re: using states
Maybe put into external value?
-
thorsnuts
- Posts: 153
- Joined: 08 Oct 2012, 17:42
Re: using states
nope.. doesn't seem to work. Im really not sure what im doing wrong.
thank you though. I do appreciate the ideas.
thank you though. I do appreciate the ideas.
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: using states
Sorry for quite probably missing the obvious here: why are you using states for this at all?
Wouldn’t for instance simply setting the particle size in the first part of your ICE Tree by plugging it
into the “Execute on Collide” of the “Stick to Surface” compound already do the trick?
Wouldn’t for instance simply setting the particle size in the first part of your ICE Tree by plugging it
into the “Execute on Collide” of the “Stick to Surface” compound already do the trick?
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
thorsnuts
- Posts: 153
- Joined: 08 Oct 2012, 17:42
Re: using states
I did not notice that... thank you.
but when I tried it, the same thing happens. I would for it to stick and then start shrink. I figured states were the best way.
weird
but when I tried it, the same thing happens. I would for it to stick and then start shrink. I figured states were the best way.
weird