Rescale love/hate relation :)

Discussions about SOFTIMAGEs© Interactive Creative Environment©
User avatar
probiner
Posts: 127
Joined: 17 Apr 2013, 09:52

Rescale love/hate relation :)

Post by probiner » 21 May 2014, 05:57

Ok, two things here.
Really enjoy to use a combination of Rescale + FCurve + Linear Interpolate nodes. One sets the values for black and white limits. The other controls the gradient and the last one just turns that output into a mixer. Use it all the time!

Image


The regret... Rescale and other nodes (though I notice more with rescale) get screwed up so easy at times and get reset! Why?

Say I delete a property map a rescale was being fed or I point to a wrong reference... Bam it goes to 0 1 0 1 ... Some exposed parameters disappear some times. So...
Had happen to lose some couple of hours of work because I saved a compound after a reference got deleted and rescale went reset.
My question is if I can avoid this and put fail safes to avoid this? What's really causing it? Invalid values?

Example:When the reference is corrected. Things show up again but with default values...0
Image

Cheers
Last edited by probiner on 21 May 2014, 13:22, edited 2 times in total.

NNois
Posts: 754
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 18:33

Re: Rescale love/hate relation :)

Post by NNois » 21 May 2014, 07:02

duhhh, never had this one, and me too, use this all the time, what version are you using ?

User avatar
nixx
Posts: 42
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 18:25

Re: Rescale love/hate relation :)

Post by nixx » 21 May 2014, 08:37

I 've lost my share of hours (and sanity) too, trying to find what the hell is wrong with my tree, only to find it was a reset rescale node.

Now I usually add scalar nodes before all start/end inputs of a rescale node, and feed those with whatever values I want. That way the actual rescale node is never left "on its own". And I haven't noticed any problems with the basic scalar nodes.
I 'm child, and man, and child again; the boy never gets older.

my Vimeo

danyargici
Posts: 56
Joined: 09 Nov 2009, 09:58

Re: Rescale love/hate relation :)

Post by danyargici » 21 May 2014, 08:59

nixx wrote:I 've lost my share of hours (and sanity) too, trying to find what the hell is wrong with my tree, only to find it was a reset rescale node.

Now I usually add scalar nodes before all start/end inputs of a rescale node, and feed those with whatever values I want. That way the actual rescale node is never left "on its own". And I haven't noticed any problems with the basic scalar nodes.
Me too, it's become second nature to always explicitly set values using separate nodes.

User avatar
Mathaeus
Posts: 1778
Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 19:11
Location: Zagreb, Croatia

Re: Rescale love/hate relation :)

Post by Mathaeus » 21 May 2014, 09:00

yeah I've noticed that too, seems to be related to custom ICE nodes sometimes. Sometimes to let's say computationally intensive nodes, like early versions of 'fit bezier curve' - this one uses 'repeat' node for computing the curve interpolation.
Constant value seems to be fix, too. There is small advantage of these constant nodes, they are displaying the values, so it's easier to figure out the entire ICE tree. But there is danger too, in case of pre - defined array, constant can kill the array, so there's fixing of fix, in form of LERP between constant and array. Constant node, together with min-max for 'total' limiting of undesired input, I think these are most frequent nodes in some public available stuff I made.

User avatar
probiner
Posts: 127
Joined: 17 Apr 2013, 09:52

Re: Rescale love/hate relation :)

Post by probiner » 21 May 2014, 19:37

nixx wrote:I 've lost my share of hours (and sanity) too, trying to find what the hell is wrong with my tree, only to find it was a reset rescale node.

Now I usually add scalar nodes before all start/end inputs of a rescale node, and feed those with whatever values I want. That way the actual rescale node is never left "on its own". And I haven't noticed any problems with the basic scalar nodes.
Like I said, it's more often with Rescale nodes, but this Multiply node in pb_EnvelopeByDistance, kept reseting to 1 instead of 100. And since it's an exposed parameter, there's nothing I can do. (I forgot to put the second image link when I did the first post)

So these things go red and the links black and dissapear from the PPG and when the reference is fixed they get back only but to the default value. In this case that multiply node had an exposed parameter of 100 and comes back as 1.

Image

Image

Given this has happened with "EnvelopeWeightsPerDeformer" parameter which is a Set of arrays I guess its more prone to happen with these types of data, dunno...
Mathaeus wrote: Constant value seems to be fix, too. There is small advantage of these constant nodes, they are displaying the values, so it's easier to figure out the entire ICE tree. But there is danger too, in case of pre - defined array, constant can kill the array, so there's fixing of fix, in form of LERP between constant and array. Constant node, together with min-max for 'total' limiting of undesired input, I think these are most frequent nodes in some public available stuff I made.
What is LERP? I was a bit lost. Is there a section of your compounds you advise to take a look to see an example of this?.

Cheers

User avatar
Mathaeus
Posts: 1778
Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 19:11
Location: Zagreb, Croatia

Re: Rescale love/hate relation :)

Post by Mathaeus » 21 May 2014, 20:53

probiner wrote:
What is LERP? I was a bit lost.
Shorthand for Linear interpolation, Linear interpolate node in ICE. For example, if your girlfriend is game dev programmer, you'll be listening this word dozens times, daily.