SamHowell wrote:So is it creature and character animation that's difficult with Houdini? I have not given this a try yet.
That appears to be the case.
I keep looking to prove it wrong as Houdini has so much to offer in most other areas.
Obviously we are talking about hand animation here. Houdini procedural stuff looks great too.
If you find any information at all that shows a solid workflow for direct character animation in Houdini I'd love to see it but so far all I've seen is people pointing out every other thing that Houdini can do.
I'm fully willing to admit that not having all the amenities we are used to like what we call an "animation mixer" might not mean a package is not up to the task. Modo for instance is going about things in a way that I am not familiar with so I need to look more into it to see if it can get the job done. Modo looks fun to use honestly but I wonder if it has versatility too?
Houdini on the other hand does not have the tools we are use to and I see no alternate method. Imagine animating a biped in si without the animation mixer and you have a good idea of what you have in Houdini. You can get the job done no doubt... but your not happy about it
It actually looks a bit harder to do then just without the "Animation Mixer" but I can't get a straight answer out of the houdini enthusiasts as they are stuck on the fact that it can be done and that is where the conversation ends.
CHOPS, CHOPS, CHOPS they keep clucking but none can produce an example that show the ease you have with si or any of the other "animation mixer" capable things we are familiar with ie. Maya Lightwave Max m:s and a few others.
There is a reason the internet is filled with videos showing of Houdini rig examples... it does a great job of them.
There is also a reason the internet is void of people showing themselves animating characters in Houdini..