No idea whether this is posible or not.
For a still I need to set up a particle effect. As I need to tweak the end positions for the final composition I just interpolate the position of the particles between two positions (start and end). So this isn't a "proper" simulation, but rather a blending of two positions. The point cloud with the moving objects is made of several different shapes (shape instances).
On another point cloud I want to create something like trails for the moving instances. Currently it kind of works, BUT only with the point position. The cloud isn't emitting from the actual geometry of the instances, which is crucial for the look unfortunately. So is there a way to do this? Emit from instance shapes of another point cloud?
Cheers
Thomas
Emit from particle instances
-
Bullit
- Moderator
- Posts: 2621
- Joined: 24 May 2012, 07:44
Re: Emit from particle instances
You might convert the clones to geometry and then emit from them.
-
nixx
- Posts: 42
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 18:25
Re: Emit from particle instances
Off the top of my head :
For every instanced object, save the point positions in an array. Those point positions are essentially offsets from its center (or pivot point). Then in your pointcloud ICE tree, for each instanced object, use these saved values as offsets for the emission, by adding them to the emitter position (for every point generated, you could have it pick a random array value and add that to its emit position, etc).
It will probably take some work to set up but I think the approach should work.
Other than that - if we 're talking about a manageable number of instances, you might be better off going with Bullit's suggestion.
For every instanced object, save the point positions in an array. Those point positions are essentially offsets from its center (or pivot point). Then in your pointcloud ICE tree, for each instanced object, use these saved values as offsets for the emission, by adding them to the emitter position (for every point generated, you could have it pick a random array value and add that to its emit position, etc).
It will probably take some work to set up but I think the approach should work.
Other than that - if we 're talking about a manageable number of instances, you might be better off going with Bullit's suggestion.
Last edited by nixx on 18 May 2014, 18:56, edited 1 time in total.
-
Bullit
- Moderator
- Posts: 2621
- Joined: 24 May 2012, 07:44
Re: Emit from particle instances
Ciaran shared a scene still at XSIbase time. I have put the xsibase thread and the emdl scene here http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fi ... 5632922265
-
Pancho
- Posts: 659
- Joined: 19 Sep 2010, 09:28
Re: Emit from particle instances
Great!!!!Bullit wrote:Ciaran shared a scene still at XSIbase time. I have put the xsibase thread and the emdl scene here http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fi ... 5632922265