Hi there,
Is it possible to read each particle position and assign to objects in order?
The thing I'm trying to do is I crack an object to some pieces, then create a point cloud has same numbers and same position as those pieces .
And then instance those pieces in order. That I can use some ice way to animate the particles.
Now my question is : How can I get each particle's position and assign to another set of pieces?
Or is there some other way to do this kind of effect easily? Like directly control a lot of objects' global position?Or I can convert whole particle Instances back to geometries but still keep it's order?
Sorry I don't know if you guys know what I'm trying to say, or I can just attach the file here.
Thank you
get particle position and assign to objects in order?
-
Haimund
- Posts: 29
- Joined: 29 Mar 2013, 00:24
-
Bullit
- Moderator
- Posts: 2621
- Joined: 24 May 2012, 07:44
Re: get particle position and assign to objects in order?
Did you checked sample scenes that came with Softimage? I think there are at least one with that. There are also old momentum/kratos plugin.
-
Haimund
- Posts: 29
- Joined: 29 Mar 2013, 00:24
Re: get particle position and assign to objects in order?
Thank you, I tried this, and it is awesome. but his pages are gone...
https://vimeo.com/groups/203857/videos/10308761
https://vimeo.com/groups/203857/videos/10308761
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: get particle position and assign to objects in order?
The page he refers to on his Vimeo page can (more or less easily) be retrieved using the Wayback Machine and you can find it here. ;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
Haimund
- Posts: 29
- Joined: 29 Mar 2013, 00:24
Re: get particle position and assign to objects in order?
Cool, thank you~~
-
NNois
- Posts: 754
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 18:33
Re: get particle position and assign to objects in order?
This is new to softimage 2013 I think and it's alays very usefull, you're after ICE/Kinematics/Effects/Transform Objects by Particles ;-)
http://docs.autodesk.com/SI/2015/ENU//index.html#!/url=./files/ikine_kinematics2_ControllingObjectTransformationswithParticles.htm
http://docs.autodesk.com/SI/2015/ENU//index.html#!/url=./files/ikine_kinematics2_ControllingObjectTransformationswithParticles.htm
-
NNois
- Posts: 754
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 18:33
Re: get particle position and assign to objects in order?
humm sorry didn't understood correctly... here's the good one
In fact you need
- first creating an ID array per island,
- then with a point cloud creating a particle at each island center
- you can from there animate you particles
-> then applying the transform back to your particles
This is very easy to do:
you're after julian johnson Island Indexer http://julianjohnsonsblog.blogspot.fr/2013/07/faster-polygon-islands.html
to work in conjuction with mootzoid emTools "emVI" (vertex island) compounds.
- on your fractured geo you add an ice tree with a Island Indexer feeding em_VI_Initialize Island Data
- on the driver point cloud you use, "emVI_ Create particles from Island Centers
- on a clone of your fractured mesh you put an ICE tree with emVI_ Transform Polygon Island
- done
In fact this technic exist from a very long time but exposed cleanly first by mootzoid a year ago, there is a video tutorial covering that ! but you missed the important polygon island detection generation (or more exactly a fact one), with julian coumpound this is done !
A++
In fact you need
- first creating an ID array per island,
- then with a point cloud creating a particle at each island center
- you can from there animate you particles
-> then applying the transform back to your particles
This is very easy to do:
you're after julian johnson Island Indexer http://julianjohnsonsblog.blogspot.fr/2013/07/faster-polygon-islands.html
to work in conjuction with mootzoid emTools "emVI" (vertex island) compounds.
- on your fractured geo you add an ice tree with a Island Indexer feeding em_VI_Initialize Island Data
- on the driver point cloud you use, "emVI_ Create particles from Island Centers
- on a clone of your fractured mesh you put an ICE tree with emVI_ Transform Polygon Island
- done
In fact this technic exist from a very long time but exposed cleanly first by mootzoid a year ago, there is a video tutorial covering that ! but you missed the important polygon island detection generation (or more exactly a fact one), with julian coumpound this is done !
A++
-
Haimund
- Posts: 29
- Joined: 29 Mar 2013, 00:24
Re: get particle position and assign to objects in order?
Thank you NNois. Yes this is old-fashioned way, but still quite useful. And I've tried these Three ways: Guillaume Laforge's polygon islands transformation using ICE, Julian Johnson's jj_Island_Indexer addon and Motion Tools' Create Instances from Islands. I have 2000+ pieces, and they all work.
But Guillaume Laforge's is very slow when I open the scene and Create Polygon Island Particles compound sometimes break.
Julian Johnson's jj_Island_Indexer is very fast but it crashes quite often.
Motion Tools is stable, it didn't crash, but barely move when I do anything.
But Guillaume Laforge's is very slow when I open the scene and Create Polygon Island Particles compound sometimes break.
Julian Johnson's jj_Island_Indexer is very fast but it crashes quite often.
Motion Tools is stable, it didn't crash, but barely move when I do anything.
-
NNois
- Posts: 754
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 18:33
Re: get particle position and assign to objects in order?
well if you use my last method with the island indexer, as you use a clone you can freeze the source mesh so it would 1.stop crashing 2.speed the process
-
Haimund
- Posts: 29
- Joined: 29 Mar 2013, 00:24
Re: get particle position and assign to objects in order?
Hi, thank you.
But I do follow your method, and I do use a frozen source mesh, but it still crashes when I try to move particles.

But I do follow your method, and I do use a frozen source mesh, but it still crashes when I try to move particles.
-
Haimund
- Posts: 29
- Joined: 29 Mar 2013, 00:24
Re: get particle position and assign to objects in order?
The reason it crashes is because it has conflict with other plugin. After uninstall that, now everything goes fine.
Thank you
Thank you