Houdini transition pdf by Jordi Bares
-
Bullit
- Moderator
- Posts: 2621
- Joined: 24 May 2012, 07:44
Houdini transition pdf by Jordi Bares
I'll continue with Softimage untill something better appears, but i'll check Houdini. Jordi Bares put some PDF's here to help understand
http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option= ... 2&start=25
http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option= ... 2&start=25
-
Pooby
- Posts: 501
- Joined: 27 Aug 2010, 20:25
Re: Houdini transition pdf by Jordi Bares
If anyone is considering learning Houdini, Id suggest getting in there now and doing it with the rest of us whilst we all ask questions.
It makes it feel less intimidating when there's lots of others in the same boat.
It makes it feel less intimidating when there's lots of others in the same boat.
-
jamination
- Posts: 174
- Joined: 10 Jul 2009, 19:58
Re: Houdini transition pdf by Jordi Bares
It would be great if they would come up with a competitive upgrade, that is how I wound up getting sofimage back in 2003 (10,000 for advance, and that was with the 3dmax competive upgrade). I would be very interested in jumping on board the program that truly has a strong animation system, but I really don't want to downgrade or bet on the wrong horse.
Phil Harbath
Jamination Productions
Jamination Productions
-
Pooby
- Posts: 501
- Joined: 27 Aug 2010, 20:25
Re: Houdini transition pdf by Jordi Bares
You can download houdini apprentice for free to learn on. I'm not buying a full licence until Im 100% sure it does what I expect it to.
-
Tekano
- Posts: 488
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 12:49
- Location: London, UK
Re: Houdini transition pdf by Jordi Bares
I got the $99 HD render version as wanted to go through different package features and try lighting and rendering too.
its pretty overwhelmingly complex but I think its just (lots) of repeated exposure now. man hours behind the wheel etc.
could go the hardcore option and not open soft, but I dont think thats going to happen for a while yet. houdini could be a companion for soft so far. we have ptc vdb and alembic so can share stuff ok
plus a nice warm reception from halfy over there. I missed him!
its pretty overwhelmingly complex but I think its just (lots) of repeated exposure now. man hours behind the wheel etc.
plus a nice warm reception from halfy over there. I missed him!
Gossip is what no one claims to like, but everybody enjoys.
-
MauricioPC
- Moderator
- Posts: 1089
- Joined: 16 Sep 2013, 11:39
Re: Houdini transition pdf by Jordi Bares
Modo + Houdini I guess it'll be a solid combo.
-
Pooby
- Posts: 501
- Joined: 27 Aug 2010, 20:25
Re: Houdini transition pdf by Jordi Bares
For me, there's no way im dropping Softimage until there is a clear, compelling and complete replacement. Houdini is software I've always been interested in learning and now seems like the best time.
I think a complete replacement is most likely to come in a combo of Houdini and Fabric Engine, with zbrush, as it's starting to become increasingly important to my workflow. ( talking about 3- 6 years development/ transition time . Even then, ill still probably use ice, even if it's just to sketch out ideas)
Im in no immediate rush.. And I'm also going to upgrade my old Modo , simply for Mesh Fusion..
I think a complete replacement is most likely to come in a combo of Houdini and Fabric Engine, with zbrush, as it's starting to become increasingly important to my workflow. ( talking about 3- 6 years development/ transition time . Even then, ill still probably use ice, even if it's just to sketch out ideas)
Im in no immediate rush.. And I'm also going to upgrade my old Modo , simply for Mesh Fusion..
-
Nizar
- Posts: 725
- Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54
Re: Houdini transition pdf by Jordi Bares
If you have zbrush, why use Modo mesh fusion? Mesh fusion is procedural, but zbrush dynamesh work well and better in many cases, also I found it more fast (about mesh fusion I only watched the video.
-
Pooby
- Posts: 501
- Joined: 27 Aug 2010, 20:25
Re: Houdini transition pdf by Jordi Bares
Because whilst dynamesh is great, (Amazing in fact. )for hard surface clean models, zremesher which you need to get a smallish mesh, let's it down a little.
Also, dynamesh doesn't have control over the smoothness of the mesh Boolean transitions as mesh fusion does. and it is destructive whereas MF allows change after the fact.
Dynamesh and zremesher can get a good result but not an astoundingly good result. Sometimes you want that.
Also, dynamesh doesn't have control over the smoothness of the mesh Boolean transitions as mesh fusion does. and it is destructive whereas MF allows change after the fact.
Dynamesh and zremesher can get a good result but not an astoundingly good result. Sometimes you want that.
-
Nizar
- Posts: 725
- Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54
Re: Houdini transition pdf by Jordi Bares
I see your point, but I assuming a mesh remeshed (through dynamesh or meshfusion) need in any cases a retopo.
However, I very interested in what you will found in Houdini. As many others, I will not follow ADSK (even they cage they caged the absurd migration), and as I'm interested in evolve in animation I see an alternative.
keep us informed of your progress Master Pooby
However, I very interested in what you will found in Houdini. As many others, I will not follow ADSK (even they cage they caged the absurd migration), and as I'm interested in evolve in animation I see an alternative.
keep us informed of your progress Master Pooby
-
Pooby
- Posts: 501
- Joined: 27 Aug 2010, 20:25
Re: Houdini transition pdf by Jordi Bares
I don't see why you'd need to retopo a mesh fusion mesh if it's hard surface and non deforming. They don't seem that bad You just need it to have decent UVs and not be an enormous poly count.
-
Nizar
- Posts: 725
- Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54
Re: Houdini transition pdf by Jordi Bares
agree, but are usually messed topology, it make hard to do a good UV
-
origin
- Posts: 619
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:59
- Location: warsaw
Re: Houdini transition pdf by Jordi Bares
Im pretty impressed by Houdini so far.
As usual you need a day or two to get used to some things and relearn few shortcuts.
Selection model is really weird. I barely scratched the houdini surface but first impression is that it isnt as visual as ICe, lots of expressions/attributes.
and meshfusion and uvs...
auto-uvs -> mari -> profit!
As usual you need a day or two to get used to some things and relearn few shortcuts.
Selection model is really weird. I barely scratched the houdini surface but first impression is that it isnt as visual as ICe, lots of expressions/attributes.
and meshfusion and uvs...
auto-uvs -> mari -> profit!
-
Pooby
- Posts: 501
- Joined: 27 Aug 2010, 20:25
Re: Houdini transition pdf by Jordi Bares
My impression too and slightly disappointed about that part. I guess it's just a different way of working.origin wrote:Im pretty impressed by Houdini so far.
As usual you need a day or two to get used to some things and relearn few shortcuts.
Selection model is really weird. I barely scratched the houdini surface but first impression is that it isnt as visual as ICe, lots of expressions/attributes.
-
dirtydog
- Posts: 69
- Joined: 04 Aug 2009, 20:24
- Location: motherwell scotland
Re: Houdini transition pdf by Jordi Bares
I seen a webcast by Paul Gadbury of Pixolpgic, who said they are working on a hard surface zremesher in future releases.Pooby wrote:Because whilst dynamesh is great, (Amazing in fact. )for hard surface clean models, zremesher which you need to get a smallish mesh, let's it down a little.
Also, dynamesh doesn't have control over the smoothness of the mesh Boolean transitions as mesh fusion does. and it is destructive whereas MF allows change after the fact.
Dynamesh and zremesher can get a good result but not an astoundingly good result. Sometimes you want that.
