I use softimage strands in a lot of my projects. I see nothing that even resembles strands in Maya or 3DS Max.
Is it something unique to Softimage or is there another piece of software that offers something similar?
Is there any info out there which briefly explains what strands can do and can not?azurecgi wrote:OK, I'll go first!
I use softimage strands in a lot of my projects. I see nothing that even resembles strands in Maya or 3DS Max.
Is it something unique to Softimage or is there another piece of software that offers something similar?
That does look promising and the initial price of Houdini isn't too scary. I just wish the yearly subscription wasn't quite so expensive, that works out to around £1500/year!!!SamHowell wrote:I asked the same question a few weeks ago and I was pleasantly suprised
http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=30952
All of the examples on this thread are perfectly possible with Cinema 4D.SamHowell wrote:I asked the same question a few weeks ago and I was pleasantly suprised
http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option= ... ic&t=30952
Can you give one or two examples of these project specific effects?azurecgi wrote:
…I've been going through some of the compounds I've built over the years that do some very 'project specific' effects and when I investigate doing any of them in Maya or Max the answers that come back vary from "impossible" to "very difficult" and the ones that are possible will require me getting up to speed very quickly in MEL or Python, both of which seem 'old fashioned' after ICE.
…
Have you actually opened the example .hip files and taken a look?Pancho wrote:That's more like a dynamic lofting thing. Doesn't look like you could create a hair system with it.
Sighhh....
F... A.......!
Well, with all due respect to your optimism, I'd be free to put it into something like 'partially possible', nothing perfectly, nothing robust. Don't get me wrong, but someonee will try to compare the performance of that python script and ICE or Houdini live operator. Someone will try to render this into some of built-in C4d renderers, using motion blur, figuring out that there is no anything between old-school subframe sampling, and slow path-tracer. Someone will try to install 3Delight in C4d, figuring out that hair isn't supported at all. This pic is V-Ray render, isn't it.Yader wrote:All of the examples on this thread are perfectly possible with Cinema 4D.SamHowell wrote:I asked the same question a few weeks ago and I was pleasantly suprised
http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option= ... ic&t=30952
The Hair system is one of the most robust ones inside the app.
Here's for example something about knitting with Hair:
https://vimeo.com/71370784
Hi,Yader wrote:All of the examples on this thread are perfectly possible with Cinema 4D.SamHowell wrote:I asked the same question a few weeks ago and I was pleasantly suprised
http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option= ... ic&t=30952
The Hair system is one of the most robust ones inside the app.
Here's for example something about knitting with Hair:
https://vimeo.com/71370784