Animated Features done with Softimage ?

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
User avatar
xsi_fanatic
Posts: 283
Joined: 06 Jun 2011, 01:08

Animated Features done with Softimage ?

Post by xsi_fanatic » 23 Feb 2014, 05:03

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to find a list of animated feature films that were created in Softimage.

I know most recently are:

1 - LEGO Movie
2 - Zambezia
3 - Khumba
4 - Sarila

And then there are the less recent movies which I know of:

5 - Barnyard
6 - Pinochio 3000

I'd prefer something more recent. Do you have more information ? Please share.

Thanks
XF

User avatar
diissar
Posts: 37
Joined: 08 Nov 2011, 23:17

Re: Animated Features done with Softimage ?

Post by diissar » 23 Feb 2014, 08:53

Appleseed and Appleseed EX machina

http://area.autodesk.com/inhouse/custstories/digital_frontier_appleseed_saga_ex_machina?o=print

It's a little bit old though :)

User avatar
AceMastermind
Posts: 161
Joined: 14 Jun 2009, 22:57

Re: Animated Features done with Softimage ?

Post by AceMastermind » 23 Feb 2014, 11:09

Shrek
There was also a touch of Softimage used in the movie.
http://www.digitalmediafx.com/Shrek/shrekfaq.html

User avatar
Tekano
Posts: 488
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 12:49
Location: London, UK

Re: Animated Features done with Softimage ?

Post by Tekano » 23 Feb 2014, 11:46

Jack et la mécanique du cœur is pretty recent



Softimage was used for FX , Maya for animation with Modo as the render...
Gossip is what no one claims to like, but everybody enjoys.

luceric
Posts: 1252
Joined: 21 Jun 2009, 22:08

Re: Animated Features done with Softimage ?

Post by luceric » 23 Feb 2014, 14:32

Animated Features: it's pretty much just Animal Logic, which means Happy Feet and Legend of the Guardians. They are a mixed Maya/XSI pipeline.
AceMastermind wrote:Shrek
You'd have to be bending reality to claim that as a softimage show given that XSI wasn't even released when it was made. So maybe Dreamworks had a copy of Softimage 3D around, which it just more of that fixation on the past glory of 1993-1997.

User avatar
xsi_fanatic
Posts: 283
Joined: 06 Jun 2011, 01:08

Re: Animated Features done with Softimage ?

Post by xsi_fanatic » 23 Feb 2014, 14:49

diissar wrote:Appleseed and Appleseed EX machina

http://area.autodesk.com/inhouse/custstories/digital_frontier_appleseed_saga_ex_machina?o=print

It's a little bit old though :)
Aaah yes ! How could I forget Appleseed ! I practically own both movies on DVD :D

Thanks for that !

User avatar
xsi_fanatic
Posts: 283
Joined: 06 Jun 2011, 01:08

Re: Animated Features done with Softimage ?

Post by xsi_fanatic » 23 Feb 2014, 14:51

Thanks everyone, but I was looking for movies done entirely or mostly in Softimage. As for Happy Feet, afaik, it was only animated in Softimage.

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: Animated Features done with Softimage ?

Post by Hirazi Blue » 23 Feb 2014, 14:57

Stay safe, sane & healthy!

User avatar
xsi_fanatic
Posts: 283
Joined: 06 Jun 2011, 01:08

Re: Animated Features done with Softimage ?

Post by xsi_fanatic » 23 Feb 2014, 15:03

Hirazi Blue wrote:Tekkonkinkreet
Ah yes ! I forgot about that one too ! Thanks ! :-bd

User avatar
mattmos
Posts: 445
Joined: 02 Dec 2009, 15:59

Re: Animated Features done with Softimage ?

Post by mattmos » 23 Feb 2014, 15:12

The lego movie was only rigged/animated in soft as well - the rendering was maya -> custom renderer.

OzAdi
Posts: 44
Joined: 21 Aug 2011, 11:13

Re: Animated Features done with Softimage ?

Post by OzAdi » 23 Feb 2014, 15:17

JUSTIN AND THE KNIGHTS OF VALOUR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJPlEoXdfVw

soft+arnold (according to softimage mailing list)
Last edited by OzAdi on 23 Feb 2014, 15:25, edited 1 time in total.

luceric
Posts: 1252
Joined: 21 Jun 2009, 22:08

Re: Animated Features done with Softimage ?

Post by luceric » 23 Feb 2014, 15:18

xsi_fanatic wrote:Thanks everyone, but I was looking for movies done entirely or mostly in Softimage. As for Happy Feet, afaik, it was only animated in Softimage.
why is Lego in your list then?

OzAdi
Posts: 44
Joined: 21 Aug 2011, 11:13

Re: Animated Features done with Softimage ?

Post by OzAdi » 23 Feb 2014, 15:21

this was a promising teaser 3 years ago.. anyone knows if it was ever released?

No Pets Allowed
https://vimeo.com/25458901

User avatar
xsi_fanatic
Posts: 283
Joined: 06 Jun 2011, 01:08

Re: Animated Features done with Softimage ?

Post by xsi_fanatic » 23 Feb 2014, 16:06

luceric wrote:
xsi_fanatic wrote:Thanks everyone, but I was looking for movies done entirely or mostly in Softimage. As for Happy Feet, afaik, it was only animated in Softimage.
why is Lego in your list then?
I didn't know Softimage was partially used. I thought it was the main app.

Sil3
Posts: 54
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 21:17

Re: Animated Features done with Softimage ?

Post by Sil3 » 23 Feb 2014, 17:33

A Monster in Paris (2011)


http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0961097/


Hirazi Blue wrote:Tekkonkinkreet
According to the Making Of, Xsi was only used in the very beginning for the Aerial View of the movie, they mapped the hand painted textures to 3d geometry and it was basically it.

Bullit
Moderator
Posts: 2621
Joined: 24 May 2012, 07:44

Re: Animated Features done with Softimage ?

Post by Bullit » 23 Feb 2014, 18:35

I didn't know Softimage was partially used. I thought it was the main app.
I think the Lego movie was animated in Softimage so you can say it was the main app.