transfering UV's to strands

Discussions about SOFTIMAGEs© Interactive Creative Environment©
Helli
Posts: 211
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 09:21

transfering UV's to strands

Post by Helli » 02 Feb 2014, 15:33

Cause I was searching for a way to use Arnold standins as my hair cache (ice cache is becoming rly slow if you have to stream 2-3 gb / frame) I tried to get my UV's over to my strands so I could use them in the rendertree (without the need to "hardcoded" store the color in my ass files).

Quite easy one.
Read the UV value from your emitlocation, store it in ice as a 3 vector.
Then get an image lookup and use this stored value as coordinate input.

here we go, you now can store your strands as standins and still override all your colors in the rendertree.

Bullit
Moderator
Posts: 2621
Joined: 24 May 2012, 07:44

Re: transfering UV's to strands

Post by Bullit » 02 Feb 2014, 22:39

Thanks

Helli
Posts: 211
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 09:21

Re: transfering UV's to strands

Post by Helli » 05 Feb 2014, 20:47

I forgot.

Cause Softimage doesnt know about what is stored in the standin it will not show you your attribute in the rendertree
Solve this by adding an ice tree and just set your attribute (you don't even need to plug in the set.data node, its enough if it just sits there with lets say self.uv as attribute)