Softimage --> CAD --> Physical Product (?)
-
Rez007
- Posts: 609
- Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 14:51
- Location: Nevada
Softimage --> CAD --> Physical Product (?)
Hi Everyone,
I have a question to see if anyone knows how to get a model that was concepted/created in Softimage into a CAD format, to eventually be built as a physical machine. Are there any exporters/programs that do this and has anyone had any success?
If this is not possible, could anyone recommend a CAD software that is nice to work whom had experience building a physical machine. Is Solidworks the best, or would Autodesk Inventor be a better option? I have also heard that Rhinoceros is good too.
Any suggestions and advice would be very helpful. Thank You in advance.
I have a question to see if anyone knows how to get a model that was concepted/created in Softimage into a CAD format, to eventually be built as a physical machine. Are there any exporters/programs that do this and has anyone had any success?
If this is not possible, could anyone recommend a CAD software that is nice to work whom had experience building a physical machine. Is Solidworks the best, or would Autodesk Inventor be a better option? I have also heard that Rhinoceros is good too.
Any suggestions and advice would be very helpful. Thank You in advance.
Co-Founder/Co-Owner 2GMG (2 Guys Making Games)
Creator of Blaster X HD https://itunes.apple.com/app/blaster-x- ... 51024?mt=8
http://www.facebook.com/2GMGames
http://www.twitter.com/2GMGames
Creator of Blaster X HD https://itunes.apple.com/app/blaster-x- ... 51024?mt=8
http://www.facebook.com/2GMGames
http://www.twitter.com/2GMGames
-
Bullit
- Moderator
- Posts: 2621
- Joined: 24 May 2012, 07:44
Re: Softimage --> CAD --> Physical Product (?)
Without knowing more it is a shot in the dark.
Depends on complexity of the machine how the components will be build . If it is simple and you only need to build the components then Solidworks or Inventor aren't really necessary. If you only need dimensions even Sketchup or a 2d cad program can do the job.
If you can't do in Nurbs in Softimage then Obj file probably is the best bet out of Softimage. Then you can use Meshlab(free) to convert to STL.
Be careful that your model is without holes in meshes.
Like i said it depends the complexity.
Depends on complexity of the machine how the components will be build . If it is simple and you only need to build the components then Solidworks or Inventor aren't really necessary. If you only need dimensions even Sketchup or a 2d cad program can do the job.
If you can't do in Nurbs in Softimage then Obj file probably is the best bet out of Softimage. Then you can use Meshlab(free) to convert to STL.
Be careful that your model is without holes in meshes.
Like i said it depends the complexity.
-
Rez007
- Posts: 609
- Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 14:51
- Location: Nevada
Re: Softimage --> CAD --> Physical Product (?)
Hi Built,
Thanks for the feedback. It is more of a complex design that will have operating machinery/parts (plastic parts that move or hinge based where the person can open a panel on their own.) It would also house electronics on the inside...almost like a register or mini-computer. I've tried Surfaces (nurbs) in Softimage before, but they were kind of a pain...
Thank you for the advice and I will look into those as well.
Thanks for the feedback. It is more of a complex design that will have operating machinery/parts (plastic parts that move or hinge based where the person can open a panel on their own.) It would also house electronics on the inside...almost like a register or mini-computer. I've tried Surfaces (nurbs) in Softimage before, but they were kind of a pain...
Thank you for the advice and I will look into those as well.
Co-Founder/Co-Owner 2GMG (2 Guys Making Games)
Creator of Blaster X HD https://itunes.apple.com/app/blaster-x- ... 51024?mt=8
http://www.facebook.com/2GMGames
http://www.twitter.com/2GMGames
Creator of Blaster X HD https://itunes.apple.com/app/blaster-x- ... 51024?mt=8
http://www.facebook.com/2GMGames
http://www.twitter.com/2GMGames
-
Bullit
- Moderator
- Posts: 2621
- Joined: 24 May 2012, 07:44
Re: Softimage --> CAD --> Physical Product (?)
You can do it with MOI 3D which is a Nurbs modeler that is probably the cheaper one.
So the whole object is plastic?
So the whole object is plastic?
-
Rez007
- Posts: 609
- Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 14:51
- Location: Nevada
Re: Softimage --> CAD --> Physical Product (?)
Bullit wrote:You can do it with MOI 3D which is a Nurbs modeler that is probably the cheaper one.
So the whole object is plastic?
Thank you for the MOI 3D. I will have to check it out, I think it also depends a lot on what route the client wants to take. I am looking to find out in advance to see what might be best, and most cost-efficient.
Well, not really all plastic. A lot of things nowadays are plastic injected molds, and there will be electronics and some metal aspects to it as well, I believe.
Co-Founder/Co-Owner 2GMG (2 Guys Making Games)
Creator of Blaster X HD https://itunes.apple.com/app/blaster-x- ... 51024?mt=8
http://www.facebook.com/2GMGames
http://www.twitter.com/2GMGames
Creator of Blaster X HD https://itunes.apple.com/app/blaster-x- ... 51024?mt=8
http://www.facebook.com/2GMGames
http://www.twitter.com/2GMGames
-
Bullit
- Moderator
- Posts: 2621
- Joined: 24 May 2012, 07:44
Re: Softimage --> CAD --> Physical Product (?)
Do you already know how many components it will have? Nothing precise, just a ballpark.
-
Rez007
- Posts: 609
- Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 14:51
- Location: Nevada
Re: Softimage --> CAD --> Physical Product (?)
To be honest, I really don't know as there will be quite a bit of internal parts I believe. I just did the main design while keeping everything in mind, but not the internals...Bullit wrote:Do you already know how many components it will have? Nothing precise, just a ballpark.
Co-Founder/Co-Owner 2GMG (2 Guys Making Games)
Creator of Blaster X HD https://itunes.apple.com/app/blaster-x- ... 51024?mt=8
http://www.facebook.com/2GMGames
http://www.twitter.com/2GMGames
Creator of Blaster X HD https://itunes.apple.com/app/blaster-x- ... 51024?mt=8
http://www.facebook.com/2GMGames
http://www.twitter.com/2GMGames
-
Nizar
- Posts: 725
- Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54
Re: Softimage --> CAD --> Physical Product (?)
I do the job of fast prototyping practical everyday. Did you mean this (prototyping) for physical machine?
-
Rez007
- Posts: 609
- Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 14:51
- Location: Nevada
Re: Softimage --> CAD --> Physical Product (?)
Hi Nizar,Nizar wrote:I do the job of fast prototyping practical everyday. Did you mean this (prototyping) for physical machine?
I have the concept design done in Softimage, and I was just seeing what recommendations people had for either bringing it into a CAD environment, or if that didn't work cleanly, what CAD software they would recommend as a good candidate to remake the machine. (I believe it would have to handle pretty precise measurements and be accurate as well.) Do you use a certain CAD software that you like?
Thank You.
Co-Founder/Co-Owner 2GMG (2 Guys Making Games)
Creator of Blaster X HD https://itunes.apple.com/app/blaster-x- ... 51024?mt=8
http://www.facebook.com/2GMGames
http://www.twitter.com/2GMGames
Creator of Blaster X HD https://itunes.apple.com/app/blaster-x- ... 51024?mt=8
http://www.facebook.com/2GMGames
http://www.twitter.com/2GMGames
-
Nick3d
- Posts: 71
- Joined: 10 Aug 2011, 12:16
Re: Softimage --> CAD --> Physical Product (?)
As far as product design and in general prototyping I always used Rhinoceros
In Softimage, due to the lack of proper precision editing and freeform modification, I always ended up creating the finished product to send to the customer ( beauty render for preview ), then export the mesh to Rhinoceros, scaling/adjusting everything in order to match the dimensions, then re-build the mesh inside Rhinoceros using the mesh from Softimage as a base, tweaking the geometry to make it easy to build with plastic molding, then export everything as a STL
For everything else ( non design products ) I use Solid Works or Solid Edge
In Softimage, due to the lack of proper precision editing and freeform modification, I always ended up creating the finished product to send to the customer ( beauty render for preview ), then export the mesh to Rhinoceros, scaling/adjusting everything in order to match the dimensions, then re-build the mesh inside Rhinoceros using the mesh from Softimage as a base, tweaking the geometry to make it easy to build with plastic molding, then export everything as a STL
For everything else ( non design products ) I use Solid Works or Solid Edge
-
Rez007
- Posts: 609
- Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 14:51
- Location: Nevada
Re: Softimage --> CAD --> Physical Product (?)
Thank you very much for the reply and advice. That sounds like an option for sure. I tried Rhinoceros way back in the day, and I really liked it.Nick3d wrote:As far as product design and in general prototyping I always used Rhinoceros
In Softimage, due to the lack of proper precision editing and freeform modification, I always ended up creating the finished product to send to the customer ( beauty render for preview ), then export the mesh to Rhinoceros, scaling/adjusting everything in order to match the dimensions, then re-build the mesh inside Rhinoceros using the mesh from Softimage as a base, tweaking the geometry to make it easy to build with plastic molding, then export everything as a STL
For everything else ( non design products ) I use Solid Works or Solid Edge
Co-Founder/Co-Owner 2GMG (2 Guys Making Games)
Creator of Blaster X HD https://itunes.apple.com/app/blaster-x- ... 51024?mt=8
http://www.facebook.com/2GMGames
http://www.twitter.com/2GMGames
Creator of Blaster X HD https://itunes.apple.com/app/blaster-x- ... 51024?mt=8
http://www.facebook.com/2GMGames
http://www.twitter.com/2GMGames
-
Nizar
- Posts: 725
- Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54
Re: Softimage --> CAD --> Physical Product (?)
I doing characters for 3d printing. For my need softimage, zbrush and nettfabb are more enough
Netfabb is a free software (also exist a pro version), can measure your model and the mesh for printing:
http://www.netfabb.com/
don't use any cad software.
Netfabb is a free software (also exist a pro version), can measure your model and the mesh for printing:
http://www.netfabb.com/
don't use any cad software.
-
Rez007
- Posts: 609
- Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 14:51
- Location: Nevada
Re: Softimage --> CAD --> Physical Product (?)
@Nizar, Thank you for letting me know. I will take a look at it.
Co-Founder/Co-Owner 2GMG (2 Guys Making Games)
Creator of Blaster X HD https://itunes.apple.com/app/blaster-x- ... 51024?mt=8
http://www.facebook.com/2GMGames
http://www.twitter.com/2GMGames
Creator of Blaster X HD https://itunes.apple.com/app/blaster-x- ... 51024?mt=8
http://www.facebook.com/2GMGames
http://www.twitter.com/2GMGames