I don't have any luck to smooth a surface mesh by getting the position of the neighbors and then interpolate them. As soon as I plug in the point position it turns red.
self.pointNeighbors. -> pointPosition (not possible)
Can anybody confirm that and is there way way to smooth a surface mesh from within ICE? After all I can get and set point positions. With polygon meshes this is no problem at all.
Cheers!
P.S.: Parts of the surface mesh need to follow another geometry by repeating a set of get closest location on geometry and smooth functions in ICE I usually achieve what I am after. But with the nurb mesh it seems to be a bit tricky.
P.P.S.: Do surface meshes have vertex IDs? Couldn't get any as far as I can remember. Only the uv values.
Surface mesh and pointNeighbors.pointPosition: Possible?
-
Pancho
- Posts: 659
- Joined: 19 Sep 2010, 09:28
-
Daniel Brassard
- Posts: 878
- Joined: 18 Mar 2010, 22:38
- Location: St. Thomas, Ontario
Re: Surface mesh and pointNeighbors.pointPosition: Possible?
Try the compound and script on this vimeo from Emilio Hernandez.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/496 ... 6Relax.pys
Python required
$ifndef "Softimage"
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif
-
Daniel Brassard
- Posts: 878
- Joined: 18 Mar 2010, 22:38
- Location: St. Thomas, Ontario
Re: Surface mesh and pointNeighbors.pointPosition: Possible?
Also from Piotrek Marczak compounds ooRelax and ooSimpleSmooth available on RRay.de
http://rray.de/xsi/
http://rray.de/xsi/
$ifndef "Softimage"
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif
-
Daniel Brassard
- Posts: 878
- Joined: 18 Mar 2010, 22:38
- Location: St. Thomas, Ontario
Re: Surface mesh and pointNeighbors.pointPosition: Possible?
BTW, NURBS have control points and knots. If you need to smooth the Mesh you need to work on the contol points or knots and move them arounds. I don't know if you can access these elements within ICE.
$ifndef "Softimage"
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif
-
Pancho
- Posts: 659
- Joined: 19 Sep 2010, 09:28
Re: Surface mesh and pointNeighbors.pointPosition: Possible?
Hi DAniel,
thanks for all the input! I have my own compounds for smoothing and relaxing and they work quite nicely. I also managed to transfer a surface grid into a sphere. So setting and getting point positions is no problem. But unfortunately I don't the the pointNeighbors in ICE to work with this kind of mesh. With polys, no problem, but the nurb thing bothers me. probably a polymesh with the same size and form could work as a reference for the nurb mesh. ONly solution which comes to my mind right now.
Thanks!!!
thanks for all the input! I have my own compounds for smoothing and relaxing and they work quite nicely. I also managed to transfer a surface grid into a sphere. So setting and getting point positions is no problem. But unfortunately I don't the the pointNeighbors in ICE to work with this kind of mesh. With polys, no problem, but the nurb thing bothers me. probably a polymesh with the same size and form could work as a reference for the nurb mesh. ONly solution which comes to my mind right now.
Thanks!!!