Interior

Comments on finished work
User avatar
Maximus
Posts: 1121
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 13:45

Interior

Post by Maximus » 28 Jan 2010, 00:11

hey guys, just wanted to share my last project
after a bit of work i think i'm done with it, hope you like,
dont have much time to invest on it anymore, thanks to Rawalanche for help and tips :)

here you go

Image


c&c are welcome as usual!

bye Max.

Softimage and Mental Ray
Last edited by Maximus on 28 Jan 2010, 08:57, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Rork
Posts: 1359
Joined: 09 Jul 2009, 06:59
Location: Close to The Hague, Netherlands

Re: Interior

Post by Rork » 28 Jan 2010, 08:04

Not entirely sure about the carpet, but overall it' s a great render :)

How did you overcome your grain issues you were experiencing?

rob
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!

User avatar
Diurno
Posts: 242
Joined: 10 Jun 2009, 07:50

Re: Interior

Post by Diurno » 28 Jan 2010, 08:37

it's look so nice... :D
the only thing that not convince me is the grainy effect on the Lcd and the chairs...

User avatar
Maximus
Posts: 1121
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 13:45

Re: Interior

Post by Maximus » 28 Jan 2010, 08:44

thanks guys for comments, yeah grain sucks a bit but i didnt want to push ove render times, and i forgot to switch material, so i'll fix it in post, i just forgot :/

its grainy because is mia_material sadly..
@rork i had to remove all mia_material, i used t2s_illuimination wich doesnt get that problem, the issue in Softimage happens mostly when you use an area light + mia_material and the mia_material must have a reflection value under 1. I just avoid it like plague when it comes to reflection, surprising t2s_illum does a great job even in render times.

thanks for comments, i'm gonna blur out some of those grainy stuff :)

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: Interior

Post by Hirazi Blue » 28 Jan 2010, 10:29

Very impressive, as always... :-bd
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

User avatar
Rork
Posts: 1359
Joined: 09 Jul 2009, 06:59
Location: Close to The Hague, Netherlands

Re: Interior

Post by Rork » 28 Jan 2010, 10:48

Hi,

I forgot to mention there is a "Archviz" thread that was started a while ago:
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=444

Maybe you would like to add to this, as we were trying to debunk the idea Softimage is no good for nice architectural renders....... :-?

rob
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!

kshep92
Posts: 13
Joined: 15 Oct 2010, 02:13
Skype: kevin_sheppard1

Re: Interior

Post by kshep92 » 15 Oct 2010, 06:45

It's work like this that makes me feel that learning this application is such a daunting task... its really good, man. two thumbs and two big toes up :-bd :-bd

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: Interior

Post by Hirazi Blue » 15 Oct 2010, 07:13

It's work like this that should make you feel that learning this application, while daunting, can really be worth it...
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

kshep92
Posts: 13
Joined: 15 Oct 2010, 02:13
Skype: kevin_sheppard1

Re: Interior

Post by kshep92 » 15 Oct 2010, 07:21

Agreed.. but when I see work like this I just get so anxious and want to be this good by tomorrow lol

User avatar
Rez007
Posts: 609
Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 14:51
Location: Nevada

Re: Interior

Post by Rez007 » 04 Nov 2010, 13:08

Hey Max,

I was wondering if you had time if you could share your lighting setup. Are you using Sun/Sky with Portal Lights? IES Lights? and Tonemapping...if so, can I ask what values are they set at. The reason I ask, is that I am having issues with the new tone-mapping that gets automatically applied to a Sun/Sky system. You have to crank up the Portal Light to get an effect - not too mention it comes out fairly blue with the default settings. In addition if I have an interior point light that is on as well - if I set the attenuation to exponential, it does not effect the scene at all - even if the intensity is maxed out at 1000000 (1 million). Thanks in advance.

User avatar
Maximus
Posts: 1121
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 13:45

Re: Interior

Post by Maximus » 05 Nov 2010, 23:18

Oh wow guys, i'm so sorry didnt see all the replies, didnt think people still reply to this work lol :D
i'll try to be of some help.

Lighting is made with sun + portals + wom arclights + photographic exposure. this was made with xsi 2010 so the cm^2 factor was at 10.000. In that case i had to crank up the wom arclights value high because they need to be higher if the cm^2 factor is at 10k.

When i use the sun and sky in 2011 i just leave it to cm^2 factor at 1, and use photometric lights, especially wom arclights since dev seems to be lazy to let us have the photometric lights switch shadows on and off, thats why i still use wombat ones. But you know, when it comes to mental ray its a doomvoid.

Anyway you shouldnt bother with pumping stuff too much, the cm^2 factor is good at 1 or 10.000 you need to adjust evertything with the ISO, and Fstop factor. So if cranking up your portals or lights in scene makes thing blown out, rise up the fstop or reduce ISO.

The setup i usually use is this, cm^2 factor at 1, portal lights i dont mind cranking them up since its no problem, wombat lights they work perfect with cm^2 factor at 1, and thats why i use it at 1. Sometimes i use it at 10.000 too lol.
I dont see any problem, when you use photometric lights you might wanna use it at 1 because is easier to setup IES, but other than that you can stick with 10,000 if you're used to.
The problem is XSI is built to work with 10000 value, so as you might have noticed the lights values work with that, exponential, falloffs, etc since we cant have a good MR implementation anymore (because you must not do archviz with xsi its forbidden) and i doubt it ever gonna happen, you need to avoid this tryin to balance and decide what you wanna smash your head with, cm^2 factor 1, or 10k? With 1 you have easy setup with photometric and crappy setup with XSI default lights, with 10k you have crap photometric and easy built in xsi lights.

Dont forget also that photoshop is your best friend, the render itself was warmed and brightened with curves and contrast a lot.
No one render an image like this straight out of 3d packages when i can gain time i dont use 3d, tweaking MR is the most horrible thing ever existed in 3D world, so i try to use it the less and do curves post processing in Ps.

Other than that i can assure you that this image was pretty straight forward to create in terms of lights, i would love to make a tutorial for archviz purpose free of course on building a similar interior from scratch, but i feel there are more skilled people than me so nobody wants to learn from me i guess :D i'm a bit shy.
I dunno how to help you, ask me further if this didnt help, to me is kinda easy to use sky/sun setup and photometric in xsi, maybe because i wasted 5 years on learning Mental Delay.

Gonna check the thread and see if you need help and sorry for half rant, i hate MR :D

/peace Max.

p.s. i might find the courage to make a tutorial <.<

User avatar
Rez007
Posts: 609
Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 14:51
Location: Nevada

Re: Interior

Post by Rez007 » 06 Nov 2010, 14:12

Thanks for the reply. I think my issue was that I was using the default Softimage lights along with Sun/Sky. I left the cm^2 factor at 1, which did not allow the Softimage light to be seen. I used a standard point light with exponential falloff - and I had the intensity maxed out at 1 million, and it was still not visiable. So, I guess I will have to go the IES route. One thing I noticed about portal lights which, maybe I am using them wrong here, is that you do have to crank up the intensity on those too. To me though, it seems like you loose the accuracy of how real lighting should work when you have to guess at what intensity to set those at. Also, when I do raise the intensity on a portal light, it seems to become very blue (using default environment from MR in the Sun/Sky setup). So, again, you lose the accuracy when you have to adjust the portal's color. I think it would be geat that instead of AD just throwing in a photographic tone-mapper that just makes things not too bright with the Sun/Sky system, it would be really nice if they actually worked on the lighting to make it work like the real world. I already sent my issue to AD support and some things have been logged, but I am a firm believer that until you have a base control factor (i.e. a unit of measure or some "x" value) that everything can work off of - it won't be accurate like it should. Anyway, thanks for the help and feel free to write a tutorial if you have time and you want to. I would definitely look at it, and I am sure others will too. The more the community puts out there the better it is for all of us.

Thanks,
-Rudy-

User avatar
Maximus
Posts: 1121
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 13:45

Re: Interior

Post by Maximus » 07 Nov 2010, 00:04

I usually tend to use sun/sky and cm factor at 1, for interior archviz stuff, if i have to use other lights i either use the built in photometric wich works fine with cm^2 factor at 1, either wombat. never use spot or point built in ones.
I rarely use IES profile, with wom archlights you can use photometric without loading an IES, and they work great.
So you have an area lights (if you wanted to use a built in spotlights) that reacts fine to cm^2 factor 1 without any problem

If you stick to them you wont have problems, also portals are fine with this setup, regarding the "bluish tone" from the environment you can adjust that with the photo exposure, or plug a mia_blackbody to portal lights i usually do that.

User avatar
Rez007
Posts: 609
Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 14:51
Location: Nevada

Re: Interior

Post by Rez007 » 07 Nov 2010, 13:23

Thanks for the info - much appreciated.