How to store strands?

Discussions about SOFTIMAGEs© Interactive Creative Environment©
Pancho
Posts: 659
Joined: 19 Sep 2010, 09:28

How to store strands?

Post by Pancho » 16 Dec 2013, 09:42

Yes, one could cache the ice tree, but are there any alternatives?

Tonight I tried to convert the strands to curves. About 30k, using the strandsToCurves script. After 8h the process almost froze and only 3k had been created so far. So this doesn't seem to work.

Only other solution which comes to my mind is to create "displacement maps" which store the strand position offset from the point position. But this could be horrible, as you need to have as many maps as strand segments.

Anybody another idea?

Pooby
Posts: 501
Joined: 27 Aug 2010, 20:25

Re: How to store strands?

Post by Pooby » 16 Dec 2013, 09:48

What benefits are you after that Caching does not provide?

Pancho
Posts: 659
Joined: 19 Sep 2010, 09:28

Re: How to store strands?

Post by Pancho » 16 Dec 2013, 10:42

No idea?! I have little to no experience with caching. So before I run into problems I wanted to check what's the best way. So caching it is.

Would have loved the curve approach as this might be something which could have worked in terms of exporting the hair.

Cheers!

Pooby
Posts: 501
Joined: 27 Aug 2010, 20:25

Re: How to store strands?

Post by Pooby » 16 Dec 2013, 11:25

I dont know if Exorcortex's Alembic can convert strands to curves? That might be another potential to explore.
But if you just want to stay within Softimage, Caching is really easy

Pancho
Posts: 659
Joined: 19 Sep 2010, 09:28

Re: How to store strands?

Post by Pancho » 16 Dec 2013, 13:19

I tried the caching this morning and so far it worked. Will take a look at your recommendation. I really like the ease of Modo when it comes to rendering, though you miss all the ICE stuff in Modo. So, this time it's going to be SI again, because transferring all the stuff inbetween the two programs is either difficult or impossible. At least when it comes to a nice workflow. Thanks!