I was given a big mess of a building, it is a boxy model with almost no curve form, but it is modeling disaster with hundreds of intersecting polygons. So i need to remake it to make it much lighter. What should be the best approach?
Get a grid and move/add points with snap?
Trace the relevant building edges with curves?
Extract the relevant edges? since many belong to intersecting poligons might not be a good idea.
Any other idea, or tutorial?
Boxy retopology best practices?
-
SamHowell
- Posts: 364
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 12:09
- Location: Birmingham
Re: Boxy retopology best practices?
-Get/Primitive/Polygon Mesh/Empty
-Turn on snap to point.
-Use the Create Polygon Tool to create a new mesh along the lines of the old one but missing out the bad modelling.
It's tedious but you will be sure it's done correctly.
Or buy Topogun
-Turn on snap to point.
-Use the Create Polygon Tool to create a new mesh along the lines of the old one but missing out the bad modelling.
It's tedious but you will be sure it's done correctly.
Or buy Topogun
-
Bullit
- Moderator
- Posts: 2621
- Joined: 24 May 2012, 07:44
Re: Boxy retopology best practices?
Thanks, that is what i ended up doing.
I wonder if a sort of shrinkwarp would work too, maybe it needs a too detailed mesh.
I wonder if a sort of shrinkwarp would work too, maybe it needs a too detailed mesh.
-
KLONOA WORKS
- Posts: 41
- Joined: 09 Oct 2012, 11:21
Re: Boxy retopology best practices?
for topology I follow this video
-
Bullit
- Moderator
- Posts: 2621
- Joined: 24 May 2012, 07:44
-
SpookyMunky
- Posts: 102
- Joined: 14 Jun 2012, 00:30
Re: Boxy retopology best practices?
Since it was a boxy model I wouldv started out with a box/cube hehe. middle mouse click on edges with the split edge tool a few hundred times (throwing in the odd extrusion) and job done ? 
-
Bullit
- Moderator
- Posts: 2621
- Joined: 24 May 2012, 07:44
Re: Boxy retopology best practices?
I fixed the thing from the model itself.