I have an cluster on the cube that I only want the strands to emit from, although it's a boolean, I'm stuck at this point
Emit Strands though Object and Collide ?
-
Falam
Emit Strands though Object and Collide ?
I have a cube that I want to emit strands from within strands while those strands emit they collide within the object that the strands are passing though. There will be two sets of strands, the second set which is within the first set of strands won't emit until it reaches slightly passed the end of the mesh that the strands are passing though. I could model it, I'm going to take a stab at it with ICE, it may take time to create the effect but I hope I'll have more control.
I have an cluster on the cube that I only want the strands to emit from, although it's a boolean, I'm stuck at this point
I have an cluster on the cube that I only want the strands to emit from, although it's a boolean, I'm stuck at this point
-
Falam
Re: Emit Strands though Object and Collide ?

The Yellow lines represent a mesh. The red lines represent strands, the blue lines represent strands spawning from the red strands. The red strands are emitted via a cluster on the cube. I can't get the red strands to spawn from the polygon cluster on the cube, then collide with the mesh that the strands are going though.
-
Falam
Re: Emit Strands though Object and Collide ?

How come the strands won't emit from the polygon cluster ?
-
NNois
- Posts: 754
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 18:33
Re: Emit Strands though Object and Collide ?
yearrr, you can't emit strands like that, you need to emit particles first, do your simulation, without strands, the spawning etc... Then deal with strands, here you would use the strand strail node not a emit strand node.
In response to your question here's how to filter by cluster, a more easy way would be using a weightmap, who the generate sample node deal wery well (digg in your emit compounds if the weightmap option isn't exposed). Edit: the generate sample node takes clusters too ;-)
PS you should use a "not" node in place of the if node ;-)
In response to your question here's how to filter by cluster, a more easy way would be using a weightmap, who the generate sample node deal wery well (digg in your emit compounds if the weightmap option isn't exposed). Edit: the generate sample node takes clusters too ;-)
PS you should use a "not" node in place of the if node ;-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by NNois on 13 Dec 2013, 19:59, edited 1 time in total.
-
Falam
Re: Emit Strands though Object and Collide ?
Hi, just to verify your applying the ICE tree on a pointcloud ?
My ICETree is located on the point cloud, the tree validates, but I don't see any strands emitting when I run the simulation
My ICETree is located on the point cloud, the tree validates, but I don't see any strands emitting when I run the simulation
-
forton
- Posts: 210
- Joined: 25 Nov 2011, 16:57
Re: Emit Strands though Object and Collide ?
Strands are formed by an array of strandpositions, an attribute belonging to a particle.
No particle = no strandpositions = no strands.
Cheers, Wim
No particle = no strandpositions = no strands.
Cheers, Wim
-
Falam
Re: Emit Strands though Object and Collide ?
Up to this point I want to say thanks and thanks for the little reminder tips 

When the strands are emitted I want them to go though and collide with the sidepipe object, it has a opening on either ends and for the strands to come out of the bottom of the object. I'm not confident if the Basic collide node is the correct road to follow, if it is, what am I doing wrong why it's not working ?

When the strands are emitted I want them to go though and collide with the sidepipe object, it has a opening on either ends and for the strands to come out of the bottom of the object. I'm not confident if the Basic collide node is the correct road to follow, if it is, what am I doing wrong why it's not working ?
-
Falam
Re: Emit Strands though Object and Collide ?
No Strands are emitting 

ICE can use other objects geometry, but you can't use another objects geometry within the ICETree, the point count must remain the same ? I hope that was understood ?

ICE can use other objects geometry, but you can't use another objects geometry within the ICETree, the point count must remain the same ? I hope that was understood ?
-
forton
- Posts: 210
- Joined: 25 Nov 2011, 16:57
Re: Emit Strands though Object and Collide ?
Sorry, I've misread your icetree, the emit strands compound indeed creates particles for you...
This works for me:
This works for me:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
Falam
Re: Emit Strands though Object and Collide ?

I want exactly (5) strands which I have but, if I adjust the rate or seed values in the Emit Strands node, those (5) strands as you can see in the image, will disappear instantly, which is odd because shouldn't increasing the rate of the emitted strands show more strands ?
Another thing, I have strand dynamics applied with a gravity force, how come the strands are rigid, as seen in the image ?
-
forton
- Posts: 210
- Joined: 25 Nov 2011, 16:57
Re: Emit Strands though Object and Collide ?
Maybe just start from fresh with top menu: ice -> create -> dynamic strands, with your object selected, that's what I did, it's almost exactly what you are trying (just ad the cluster -> delete particle)
-
Falam
Re: Emit Strands though Object and Collide ?
I could have done that a long time ago 
It's too automated, I want to learn something in the process
Convenience can help, it can also hinder as well.
It's too automated, I want to learn something in the process
-
forton
- Posts: 210
- Joined: 25 Nov 2011, 16:57
Re: Emit Strands though Object and Collide ?
Some interesting lecture here
http://xsisupport.com/2013/12/12/emitti ... n-cluster/
http://xsisupport.com/2013/12/12/emitti ... n-cluster/
-
NNois
- Posts: 754
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 18:33
Re: Emit Strands though Object and Collide ?
Hi,
Like I said in my first post using "Emit strand" IS NOT the way to go !
If you want your strands to be emitted from your cube then travel, to the ground then spawn to another direction, fine, but just stop thinking about strands for now and do the simulation with particles point.
When you have your sim at least structured, you then can think about strands, but not emitted strands but strand trail, this is a trail of your simulated particles, you can use after that lenght constraining nodes etc.
Like I said in my first post using "Emit strand" IS NOT the way to go !
If you want your strands to be emitted from your cube then travel, to the ground then spawn to another direction, fine, but just stop thinking about strands for now and do the simulation with particles point.
When you have your sim at least structured, you then can think about strands, but not emitted strands but strand trail, this is a trail of your simulated particles, you can use after that lenght constraining nodes etc.
-
Falam
Re: Emit Strands though Object and Collide ?
forton - That article is referencing NNois ICE Tree etc
NNos - I understand what you mean, proceeding in the direction you recommend, could someone tell me why my particles stay stuck to the polygon cluster on the cube and don't emit as particles. I've checked, double checked the emit node, scratching my head as to why the particles are not emitting, whether it's easy or not, I want to figure this out. The end result is replacing the strands with geometry
NNos - I understand what you mean, proceeding in the direction you recommend, could someone tell me why my particles stay stuck to the polygon cluster on the cube and don't emit as particles. I've checked, double checked the emit node, scratching my head as to why the particles are not emitting, whether it's easy or not, I want to figure this out. The end result is replacing the strands with geometry
-
NNois
- Posts: 754
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 18:33
Re: Emit Strands though Object and Collide ?
this is because you take the particle emission position and you set the particle position... so your particles are stuck...
Plus you missing the simulate node at the end of your ice tree
You really need to do some really very basic tutorials or just read the start of the ice documentation. This is really basic stuff the simulate node (in a simulated region of course)
Plus you missing the simulate node at the end of your ice tree
You really need to do some really very basic tutorials or just read the start of the ice documentation. This is really basic stuff the simulate node (in a simulated region of course)