Ambient Occlusion the "correct" method?
-
Rez007
- Posts: 609
- Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 14:51
- Location: Nevada
Ambient Occlusion the "correct" method?
I have a quick question I was hoping someone could help me out with, and that is how to use ambient occlusion the correct way. In the past I was told to just comp (multiply) the AO render of the image in post, but that would always result in a "dirty" feel. I have been looking around and I see some people are using the mia_material_x shader, but I cant find that shader anywhere. Is that the same as the mia_material? (without the "_x") If that is the case, how would I go about setting that up as an override/seperate pass and just using the ambient occlusion setting only for that material, without using any other material properties. Maybe what I am writing here is confusing, because I have been trying to understand various methods that I have found on forums, which may in turn be confusing me. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Co-Founder/Co-Owner 2GMG (2 Guys Making Games)
Creator of Blaster X HD https://itunes.apple.com/app/blaster-x- ... 51024?mt=8
http://www.facebook.com/2GMGames
http://www.twitter.com/2GMGames
Creator of Blaster X HD https://itunes.apple.com/app/blaster-x- ... 51024?mt=8
http://www.facebook.com/2GMGames
http://www.twitter.com/2GMGames
-
ace63
- Posts: 176
- Joined: 07 Jun 2009, 10:30
Re: Ambient Occlusion the "correct" method?
mia_material_x is called mia_material_multioutput in SI and does not appear in the Nodes list.
You can find it under Nodes -> Illumination -> More -> Mental Images
You can find it under Nodes -> Illumination -> More -> Mental Images
-
Rez007
- Posts: 609
- Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 14:51
- Location: Nevada
Re: Ambient Occlusion the "correct" method?
Thanks for the information. I found the node like you said and I applied it. Works great so far, but I had a couple of questions in regards to that node. Basically I could just forget about the mia_material and use the mia_material_multioutput since it is basically the same thing but just seperates the channels...is there a way to output more than just one channel during render?...is there a hidden node for that? Also, when it comes to compositing the AO layer, what would you recommend would be the best way to do it, so it takes direct light/reflections into account? Thanks a lot for your help.
Co-Founder/Co-Owner 2GMG (2 Guys Making Games)
Creator of Blaster X HD https://itunes.apple.com/app/blaster-x- ... 51024?mt=8
http://www.facebook.com/2GMGames
http://www.twitter.com/2GMGames
Creator of Blaster X HD https://itunes.apple.com/app/blaster-x- ... 51024?mt=8
http://www.facebook.com/2GMGames
http://www.twitter.com/2GMGames
-
Rez007
- Posts: 609
- Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 14:51
- Location: Nevada
Re: Ambient Occlusion the "correct" method?
...Basically, I would like to know what people do to get nice and correct ambient occlusion without having it baked into the image when using the mia_material ambient occlusion with detail enhancement set to 2...or is this not possible? Thanks to anyone who has any information.
Co-Founder/Co-Owner 2GMG (2 Guys Making Games)
Creator of Blaster X HD https://itunes.apple.com/app/blaster-x- ... 51024?mt=8
http://www.facebook.com/2GMGames
http://www.twitter.com/2GMGames
Creator of Blaster X HD https://itunes.apple.com/app/blaster-x- ... 51024?mt=8
http://www.facebook.com/2GMGames
http://www.twitter.com/2GMGames
-
elhemp
- Posts: 18
- Joined: 22 Jan 2010, 16:51
Re: Ambient Occlusion the "correct" method?
Hi,
I suppose what you are asking for are two different pair of shoes. If you want to use the mia_material_x shader you should use it in conjunction with mia_x_renderchannels compound by Guillaume Laforge, which you can find here: http://frenchdog.wordpress.com/2008/10/ ... -compound/.
Second the ambient occlusion: I usually render it as a seperate pass and use it as a mask for color correction. Therefore you shouldn't get this "dirty" effect.
I suppose what you are asking for are two different pair of shoes. If you want to use the mia_material_x shader you should use it in conjunction with mia_x_renderchannels compound by Guillaume Laforge, which you can find here: http://frenchdog.wordpress.com/2008/10/ ... -compound/.
Second the ambient occlusion: I usually render it as a seperate pass and use it as a mask for color correction. Therefore you shouldn't get this "dirty" effect.
-
Rez007
- Posts: 609
- Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 14:51
- Location: Nevada
Re: Ambient Occlusion the "correct" method?
Thanks a lot and I really appreciate the help!
Co-Founder/Co-Owner 2GMG (2 Guys Making Games)
Creator of Blaster X HD https://itunes.apple.com/app/blaster-x- ... 51024?mt=8
http://www.facebook.com/2GMGames
http://www.twitter.com/2GMGames
Creator of Blaster X HD https://itunes.apple.com/app/blaster-x- ... 51024?mt=8
http://www.facebook.com/2GMGames
http://www.twitter.com/2GMGames