Dotted Line with Explosion
-
ChrisMarshall3d
- Posts: 8
- Joined: 30 Aug 2011, 08:30
Dotted Line with Explosion
Hi,
I've posted a couple of examples of this compound on Vimeo, and had some requests for it to be shared, so here it is.
Here's a link to one of the posts
https://vimeo.com/76951979
The compound creates a dotted line on a curve, and at a particular dot number, an explosion of dots radiates out from the last dot. It's all fairly self explanatory. Just create an empty point cloud with a non-simulated ice tree, plug a curve into the compound. Any questions, just ask.
How do I share this as I'm being told the file is too big, though it's only 300kb.
I'll post it to the soft list anyway, but would be good to share here.
Cheers
Chris
Moderator edit: Attachment added - HB
Moderator edit: Direct download link added - HB
Direct download link: here
I've posted a couple of examples of this compound on Vimeo, and had some requests for it to be shared, so here it is.
Here's a link to one of the posts
https://vimeo.com/76951979
The compound creates a dotted line on a curve, and at a particular dot number, an explosion of dots radiates out from the last dot. It's all fairly self explanatory. Just create an empty point cloud with a non-simulated ice tree, plug a curve into the compound. Any questions, just ask.
How do I share this as I'm being told the file is too big, though it's only 300kb.
I'll post it to the soft list anyway, but would be good to share here.
Cheers
Chris
Moderator edit: Attachment added - HB
Moderator edit: Direct download link added - HB
Direct download link: here
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: Dotted Line with Explosion
Follow the Upload instructions, if you want to get something uploaded here.
;)
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
ChrisMarshall3d
- Posts: 8
- Joined: 30 Aug 2011, 08:30
Re: Dotted Line with Explosion
OK Thought I'd be able to just attach it, as it's not that big. So how is that then associated with my original post?
-
ChrisMarshall3d
- Posts: 8
- Joined: 30 Aug 2011, 08:30
Re: Dotted Line with Explosion
OK I've submitted it as described.
-
owei
- Administrator
- Posts: 840
- Joined: 03 Jun 2009, 15:25
- Location: Siegen/Germany
Re: Dotted Line with Explosion
Hi!
Thanks for sharing, Chris!
For some reason the upload adress does not work anymore and I could not figure out, why...
So I´ll change it to a working one in the instructions!
cheers,
oli
Thanks for sharing, Chris!
For some reason the upload adress does not work anymore and I could not figure out, why...
So I´ll change it to a working one in the instructions!
cheers,
oli
Founder of www.si-community.com
http://www.pixelpanic.de
http://www.pixelpanic.de
-
ChrisMarshall3d
- Posts: 8
- Joined: 30 Aug 2011, 08:30
Re: Dotted Line with Explosion
If anyone manages to do anything interesting with this or would like to give some feedback, please do so.
Cheers
Chris
Cheers
Chris
-
ChrisMarshall3d
- Posts: 8
- Joined: 30 Aug 2011, 08:30
Re: Dotted Line with Explosion
Hi,
I've sent a new version of this compound. Waiting for it to appear.
Thanks
Chris
I've sent a new version of this compound. Waiting for it to appear.
Thanks
Chris
-
ChrisMarshall3d
- Posts: 8
- Joined: 30 Aug 2011, 08:30
Re: Dotted Line with Explosion
OK Here's a new version of the compound.
This includes some minor bug fixes, tweaks and a couple of additional features. When using frame count for animating the dots, there's a multiplier value to increase or decrease the dots per frame. Also, you can use a gradient for the colour. Any problems, let me know.
http://www.si-community.com/download/co ... icompoundp
Cheers
Chris
Newcomer (<20 posts) alert: please use the URL tags - HB
This includes some minor bug fixes, tweaks and a couple of additional features. When using frame count for animating the dots, there's a multiplier value to increase or decrease the dots per frame. Also, you can use a gradient for the colour. Any problems, let me know.
http://www.si-community.com/download/co ... icompoundp
Cheers
Chris
Newcomer (<20 posts) alert: please use the URL tags - HB
-
eben
- Posts: 31
- Joined: 29 Apr 2011, 08:55
- Location: France
Re: Dotted Line with Explosion
Thanks for sharing ! 
-
aio
- Posts: 36
- Joined: 23 Oct 2012, 00:12
Re: Dotted Line with Explosion
Hello Chris I saw your video 'painting with ice'
https://vimeo.com/36448859
Did you make anything of it? seemed promising.
Have you thought of making something similar but with 3D geometry ? the direction would rely on facets orientation rather than contour, think hatching effect or engraving.
https://vimeo.com/36448859
Did you make anything of it? seemed promising.
Have you thought of making something similar but with 3D geometry ? the direction would rely on facets orientation rather than contour, think hatching effect or engraving.
-
ChrisMarshall3d
- Posts: 8
- Joined: 30 Aug 2011, 08:30
Re: Dotted Line with Explosion
Hi,
No I didn't take it any further. I had a number of different versions that produced alternative effects, but hadn't thought of taking it to 3d. It was based on an input image, so I'm not sure exactly how a 3d version would work. I guess it could, just based on surface angles to light sources etc? I'll have a think.
Cheers
No I didn't take it any further. I had a number of different versions that produced alternative effects, but hadn't thought of taking it to 3d. It was based on an input image, so I'm not sure exactly how a 3d version would work. I guess it could, just based on surface angles to light sources etc? I'll have a think.
Cheers
-
aio
- Posts: 36
- Joined: 23 Oct 2012, 00:12
Re: Dotted Line with Explosion
It's something i've been thinking from time to time.
When you look at engraving drawings for example it's obvious the hand shading is following the shapes of the geometry but not quite.
And when the camera moves this 'texture' remains detached from the object it's not completely attached to the object as a uv texture.
Something like a 2.5D texture.
All npr renderers are sticking the texures on the objects or onto the screen. It's something in between.
I tried to do something in post and bend the normals and apply the textures but I suck too much at maths to do that.
When you look at engraving drawings for example it's obvious the hand shading is following the shapes of the geometry but not quite.
And when the camera moves this 'texture' remains detached from the object it's not completely attached to the object as a uv texture.
Something like a 2.5D texture.
All npr renderers are sticking the texures on the objects or onto the screen. It's something in between.
I tried to do something in post and bend the normals and apply the textures but I suck too much at maths to do that.