Spawned particles inheriting original particle shape?...

Discussions about SOFTIMAGEs© Interactive Creative Environment©
AiyaPK
Posts: 2
Joined: 09 Oct 2013, 23:06

Spawned particles inheriting original particle shape?...

Post by AiyaPK » 10 Oct 2013, 18:00

I'm trying to get a rain fall effect using strands to replicate the rain streaks. When the rain hits a surface, I want it to spawn a new particle cloud consisting of textured grids (so rectangle-shaped particles) for impacts. I have it all setup. The only problem is that all of the new particles contain strand trails in them. So now I have rectangles with strand trails. When I try to render it, the strand is visible too. Any idea why the new cloud inherits the old cloud's shape?...

User avatar
nixx
Posts: 42
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 18:25

Re: Spawned particles inheriting original particle shape?...

Post by nixx » 10 Oct 2013, 19:16

Spawned particles inherit everything, by design. You have to (re)set whatever changes you want for the new cloud.
So, off the top of my head, setting the StrandLength and StrandCount attributes to zero for the spawned particles ("Execute on Spawn") should do what you want.
I 'm child, and man, and child again; the boy never gets older.

my Vimeo

AiyaPK
Posts: 2
Joined: 09 Oct 2013, 23:06

Re: Spawned particles inheriting original particle shape?...

Post by AiyaPK » 10 Oct 2013, 22:57

Thanks for the reply nixx

I tried zeroing strand length before in the spawned particles tree, and also setting a particle shape there.
I tried out your suggestion of setting the strand settings in 'execute on spawn' but that doesn't really work.
There is one thing I wanted to ask that might be related though...
Where is the positioning of the IceTree supposed to be under the point cloud hierarchy.
Right now for my spawned splash cloud, there are 2 ice trees. One ice tree belongs to the original rain cloud that has the spawning compound. The other ice tree belongs solely to the splash cloud itself where I set all new parameters.
Is there any particular ordering these are supposed to be in?
Right now they're both under Simulation... I don't see any difference layering one particular IceTree over the other though under the simulation tab... Is this right?