One year after the XSIBase...
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
One year after the XSIBase...
About a year ago the XSIBase ceased to exist, thus ending an impressive run that lasted over ten years. Ultimately the XSIBase was killed by incessant hacker attacks and probably (and understandably) the inability of its team to do a core rewrite of the forum software to better stave off such attacks.
Will it ultimately be missed? IMHO it should be, which might sound strange coming from someone working for a "competitor". For one, over the years it had become a gigantic knowledge base. If you were willing to search the XSIBase using an external search engine, i.e. Google (as the internal search often wasn’t up to the task), you could dig up a vast amount of answered queries on a vast range of topics concerning Softimage, although it always seemed lacking on the topic of ICE. And due to the nature of the XSI/SI where hardly anything became truly obsolete (apart from the “legacy particles”), most of these topics still stayed valid after all these years.
The general mood on the XSIBase was a bit too negative for my liking, but that is highly personal of course. And the forum software was most definitively showing its age in more ways than one. But ever since I started to learn about the “nuts and bolts” of the si-community, I learned to appreciate the general approach of forum administration: only start to worry once there’s something is REALLY broken. Keeping a forum afloat most of the time is way more important than fixing each and every individual bug. Problem is, the stacking of bug after bug after bug make it near impossible to every truly fix anything at all afterwards.
Is there a point to this post? Hardly, other than that I didn’t want the first anniversary of the demise of the XSIBase to go by completely unnoticed.
;)
Will it ultimately be missed? IMHO it should be, which might sound strange coming from someone working for a "competitor". For one, over the years it had become a gigantic knowledge base. If you were willing to search the XSIBase using an external search engine, i.e. Google (as the internal search often wasn’t up to the task), you could dig up a vast amount of answered queries on a vast range of topics concerning Softimage, although it always seemed lacking on the topic of ICE. And due to the nature of the XSI/SI where hardly anything became truly obsolete (apart from the “legacy particles”), most of these topics still stayed valid after all these years.
The general mood on the XSIBase was a bit too negative for my liking, but that is highly personal of course. And the forum software was most definitively showing its age in more ways than one. But ever since I started to learn about the “nuts and bolts” of the si-community, I learned to appreciate the general approach of forum administration: only start to worry once there’s something is REALLY broken. Keeping a forum afloat most of the time is way more important than fixing each and every individual bug. Problem is, the stacking of bug after bug after bug make it near impossible to every truly fix anything at all afterwards.
Is there a point to this post? Hardly, other than that I didn’t want the first anniversary of the demise of the XSIBase to go by completely unnoticed.
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
McNistor
- Posts: 605
- Joined: 06 Aug 2009, 15:26
Re: One year after the XSIBase...
Acknowledged!Hirazi Blue wrote:Is there a point to this post? Hardly, other than that I didn’t want the first anniversary of the demise of the XSIBase to go by completely unnoticed.
;)
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides
-Thucydides
-
MauricioPC
- Moderator
- Posts: 1089
- Joined: 16 Sep 2013, 11:39
Re: One year after the XSIBase...
What I most miss from XSIBase is those great articles with industry professionals. I learned so much from those interviews and got the feeling Softimage would rule them all!
And I think the forum had more active users. I wish si-community had more active users. But ... I do prefer the visuals of si-community.
And I think the forum had more active users. I wish si-community had more active users. But ... I do prefer the visuals of si-community.
-
McNistor
- Posts: 605
- Joined: 06 Aug 2009, 15:26
Re: One year after the XSIBase...
Since we're here (talking about XSI communities), has anyone noticed how active has CGTalk's Softimage section has become?
http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=24
http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=24
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides
-Thucydides
-
Helli
- Posts: 211
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 09:21
Re: One year after the XSIBase...
What I miss are the new, fresh, Users asking beginner questions.
There are almost no users anymore just picking up the software, which also tells you how dead this pieve of software is.
That's sad actually. Would love to see new fresh talent using Softimage, but I guess this will get even worse and only dinosaurs will be left
Happy aniversary
There are almost no users anymore just picking up the software, which also tells you how dead this pieve of software is.
That's sad actually. Would love to see new fresh talent using Softimage, but I guess this will get even worse and only dinosaurs will be left
Happy aniversary
-
MauricioPC
- Moderator
- Posts: 1089
- Joined: 16 Sep 2013, 11:39
Re: One year after the XSIBase...
Amazingly active!McNistor wrote:Since we're here (talking about XSI communities), has anyone noticed how active has CGTalk's Softimage section has become?
http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=24
-
grendizer
- Posts: 94
- Joined: 17 Apr 2010, 10:41
- Skype: uforobotgrendizerus
Re: One year after the XSIBase...
Hats off to Raphael, Bernard, Will and Ed for this great community.
(I think only one of them is still a Softimage user
)
(I think only one of them is still a Softimage user
-
Falam
Re: One year after the XSIBase...
I didn't know it was that dead, ugghh.gonebadfx wrote:Amazingly active!McNistor wrote:Since we're here (talking about XSI communities), has anyone noticed how active has CGTalk's Softimage section has become?
http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=24
Raf can't increase Softimage input. I assume, everyone expected a few guys to drive Softimage to the next level.
-
mc_axe
- Posts: 420
- Joined: 12 Mar 2013, 17:44
Re: One year after the XSIBase...
But then again if you are lucky :
http://web.archive.org/web/201206230356 ... /index.php
You can re post in si-community importand posts that are saved.
I was looking for the Re: Re: Re: Re: Any Bugs found, you can report here to link or repost it here but i think only the last page is still alive.
Look im in the main page of the dead site
Well anyways ill try to be more active here , enouph emoing
http://web.archive.org/web/201206230356 ... /index.php
You can re post in si-community importand posts that are saved.
I was looking for the Re: Re: Re: Re: Any Bugs found, you can report here to link or repost it here but i think only the last page is still alive.
Look im in the main page of the dead site
Well anyways ill try to be more active here , enouph emoing
-
Draise
- Posts: 894
- Joined: 09 Oct 2012, 18:48
- Skype: ondraise
- Location: Colombia
Re: One year after the XSIBase...
I'm pretty new to SI, love it. I will try contribute more I guess! Thanks for the forum, and I hope XSIbase knowledge does somehow get ported to here.
-
grendizer
- Posts: 94
- Joined: 17 Apr 2010, 10:41
- Skype: uforobotgrendizerus
Re: One year after the XSIBase...
Welcome Draise!
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: One year after the XSIBase...
This is the "print page" (just text) version of that thread up to the 11. of September 2012, so still incomplete but not by much, I think.mc_axe wrote:I was looking for the Re: Re: Re: Re: Any Bugs found, you can report here to link or repost it here
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
mc_axe
- Posts: 420
- Joined: 12 Mar 2013, 17:44
Re: One year after the XSIBase...
niceHirazi Blue wrote:This is the "print page" (just text) version of that thread up to the 11. of September 2012, so still incomplete but not by much, I think.mc_axe wrote:I was looking for the Re: Re: Re: Re: Any Bugs found, you can report here to link or repost it here