pzLoopSelection?

Discussions concerning plugins for SOFTIMAGE©
User avatar
junki
Posts: 14
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:01

pzLoopSelection?

Post by junki » 16 Sep 2013, 02:03

Hello,

Anybody knows old softimage script called "pzLoopSelection" ?
This tool is for selecting components with every Nth step.

I'm sure I was using this tool heavily 5 or 6 years ago, but I can not find the script file on my drive, nor on internet.

Do you know where this tool is now?


Thanks

User avatar
AceMastermind
Posts: 161
Joined: 14 Jun 2009, 22:57

Re: pzLoopSelection?

Post by AceMastermind » 16 Sep 2013, 07:15

I can't find that script, but jj_loopstep or RCTools should be able to do that also.

http://www.exch.demon.co.uk/jj_loopstep.htm
http://rray.de/xsi/rctools/

User avatar
junki
Posts: 14
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:01

Re: pzLoopSelection?

Post by junki » 16 Sep 2013, 12:41

Thanks, Manny.

Yes, I know those tools are capable of that.
jj_loopstep is okay but lacks gui.
RCTools seems to be the way to go.


I don't know why I can not find "pzLoopSelection" now.
Maybe wrong name.... but I still have my old XSI screenshot image and I can see a button named "pzLoopSelection" on my custom toolbar.
pz must be somebody's initial.
Or maybe it was just a small script code posted on old XSI Base thread or something...


Thank you very much anyway.

User avatar
AceMastermind
Posts: 161
Joined: 14 Jun 2009, 22:57

Re: pzLoopSelection?

Post by AceMastermind » 16 Sep 2013, 15:44

Manny is '3DMastermind', but I understand how some folks make this mistake. :)
jj_loopstep is opensource python, so if you really like using it someone could probably code a nice GUI for it.

User avatar
junki
Posts: 14
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:01

Re: pzLoopSelection?

Post by junki » 17 Sep 2013, 03:56

Ahhh, AceMastermind, sorry about that. My bad.



Although I guess building a gui for jj_loopstep by myself is not that big hustle, I feel a bit better if I could make it from scratch.

Very alpha version. (JScript)

Code: Select all

Step = 2;
var SelStr = Selection.GetAsText();
SelStr = SelStr.replace( /\]/, "" );
var aSel = SelStr.split( "[" );
Body = aSel[0];

var aIndexStr = aSel[1].split( "," );

Index = "";
for ( var i=0; i<aIndexStr.length; i+=Step )
{
	Index += aIndexStr[i] + ",";
}
Index = Index.slice( 0, Index.length -1 );
Index = "[" + Index + "]";
SelectingStr = Body + Index;

SelectGeometryComponents( SelectingStr );
Select components first and run. It "leaves" selected components with every Nth step.

pezetko
Posts: 40
Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 23:58

Re: pzLoopSelection?

Post by pezetko » 14 Oct 2013, 18:59

Sorry for late reply, since there is internet restriction in facility I'm working now (thanks to Disney) I don't lurk to this forum that often.

I found that one on my backup hardware at home. I didn't expected that anybody use that, that's nice. It's script, not plugin but I can wrap it into plugin if you find it usefull.
If you have any question feel free to ask, I would like to help if I can.

There is gif animation that show behaviour and script in python. Enjoy
LoopSelection.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Falam

Re: pzLoopSelection?

Post by Falam » 14 Oct 2013, 20:06

I like the way this script works :)

User avatar
junki
Posts: 14
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:01

Re: pzLoopSelection?

Post by junki » 15 Oct 2013, 01:02

Thank you very much, pezetko!!
pezetko wrote:It's script, not plugin but I can wrap it into plugin if you find it usefull.
If you have any question feel free to ask, I would like to help if I can.
Yeah, although I can do it by myself, that would be great to see the original writer's plugin version.

pezetko
Posts: 40
Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 23:58

Re: pzLoopSelection?

Post by pezetko » 15 Oct 2013, 06:20

You are welcome.
I packed it as self instaled command, so it can be assigned to hotkey. Just put it in User\Application\Plugins\

Btw: it works for other type of selection too. e.g. on points, edges, even on whole objects.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
junki
Posts: 14
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:01

Re: pzLoopSelection?

Post by junki » 15 Oct 2013, 06:54

super thanks, pezetko.

Falam

Re: pzLoopSelection?

Post by Falam » 21 Oct 2013, 02:09

This is the way I thought RC Tools would be upgraded to and work like, never happened :(