Deforming geometry with particles?

Discussions about SOFTIMAGEs© Interactive Creative Environment©
noodleman
Posts: 5
Joined: 12 Jul 2013, 17:38

Deforming geometry with particles?

Post by noodleman » 10 Sep 2013, 20:15

Hi, I'd like to create an effect similar to that of Paul Smith's in his "Jiggly Bit" video (see below), but instead of an object being deformed by a "prodding" geometry, I'd like to use emitted particles (with instanced shapes) to deform the object.

Here's the ICE tree for Paul Smith's effect (it's attached as a simulated ICE tree to the object being deformed):

Image

And the video:



What's confusing me is with what I ought to replace the "Get Closed Location on Geometry" node, since I assume some new logic is required when trying to interact with particles.

Thanks!

Bullit
Moderator
Posts: 2621
Joined: 24 May 2012, 07:44

Re: Deforming geometry with particles?

Post by Bullit » 11 Sep 2013, 06:27

Wouldn't these ones be better?





noodleman
Posts: 5
Joined: 12 Jul 2013, 17:38

Re: Deforming geometry with particles?

Post by noodleman » 11 Sep 2013, 10:24

Hi bullet, those are definitely helpful, thanks! The video and tree I posted were of the effect I wanted to achieve (but with particles). I was hoping to avoid using a single-axis push effect since the object I'll be deforming is more spherical than it is planar and the particles will be approaching from all angles.

noodleman
Posts: 5
Joined: 12 Jul 2013, 17:38

Re: Deforming geometry with particles?

Post by noodleman » 11 Sep 2013, 11:56

I think I figured it out. It might require a few tweaks, but this more or less does the trick:

Image

Bullit
Moderator
Posts: 2621
Joined: 24 May 2012, 07:44

Re: Deforming geometry with particles?

Post by Bullit » 11 Sep 2013, 17:50

I see now that you wanted to do the deforming with instances - my fault due to speed reading - i'll have to test this since it is an effect i think it is interesting.

noodleman
Posts: 5
Joined: 12 Jul 2013, 17:38

Re: Deforming geometry with particles?

Post by noodleman » 25 Sep 2013, 19:21

Now that I've figured this out, I seem to be having one more problem: This effect requires a simulated ICE tree, but I'd ultimately like to add a shape animation to this affected geometry. Unfortunately, ICE simulation kills the animation stack. Is there a workaround for this?

Bullit
Moderator
Posts: 2621
Joined: 24 May 2012, 07:44

Re: Deforming geometry with particles?

Post by Bullit » 26 Sep 2013, 13:29

You can cache and then read it in another ice tree and deform. Before that try the Post Simulation stack in the ice tree.