XSI 7.01 on Windows 7 - anyone tried?

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
wannabeArtist
Posts: 98
Joined: 10 Jun 2009, 06:34
Location: Finland

XSI 7.01 on Windows 7 - anyone tried?

Post by wannabeArtist » 22 Dec 2009, 05:40

Hello,

Does anyone have the above combination running? I've been trying to ask Autodesk for this, but for some reason they won't answer me - and it's been a few weeks now since my first attempt :!!

There was a discussion at CGTalk, but no body there was running 7.01

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: XSI 7.01 on Windows 7 - anyone tried?

Post by Hirazi Blue » 22 Dec 2009, 11:19

There are sporadic reports of users successfully running XSI 7 on Windows 7...
For example:
On the mailing list
On the German Softimage Community
Find the Google Translate version here - Terrible translation, but you'll get the point...

There obviously might be one or two glitches like the one reported here,
but as far as I can tell (BUT I HAVEN'T TRIED IT MYSELF!!!), nothing truly serious... ;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

User avatar
druitre
Posts: 471
Joined: 25 Jun 2009, 21:35

Re: XSI 7.01 on Windows 7 - anyone tried?

Post by druitre » 22 Dec 2009, 12:36

Yes, I am. No problems. Win7 ultimate 64. So far, I like Win7 a lot better than Vista.

wannabeArtist
Posts: 98
Joined: 10 Jun 2009, 06:34
Location: Finland

Re: XSI 7.01 on Windows 7 - anyone tried?

Post by wannabeArtist » 23 Dec 2009, 13:03

Thanks for the replies!

I will be installing Windows 7 tonight - it's 32bit though, but isn't that necessary for a 32-bit XSI anyway?

User avatar
dwigfor
Posts: 395
Joined: 17 Nov 2009, 16:46

Re: XSI 7.01 on Windows 7 - anyone tried?

Post by dwigfor » 23 Dec 2009, 14:20

Wannabe - you should REALLY get win7 64bit!! With an x64 OS, you can run 32bit apps better than with a x32 OS. With x64 OS, your 32bit apps can access up to 4gig of ram. Under x32, 32bit apps can only use 2gig (or 3gig thru hacks).

Also, I dunno if you use Adobe products, but they are moving to x64 >>>ONLY<<< with CS5 for Photoshop, After Effects, and Premiere. These WILL NOT run with a x32 OS. You have been warned.

FYI, under win x64, 64bit programs get installed under c:\program files\. 32bit apps get installed under c:\program files (x86) so you know which are which.

User avatar
druitre
Posts: 471
Joined: 25 Jun 2009, 21:35

Re: XSI 7.01 on Windows 7 - anyone tried?

Post by druitre » 23 Dec 2009, 14:29

AFAIK no, you can run any 32-bit software under a 64-bit OS without problems but also without any benefit of the 64-bit architecture or whatever it's called. But why would you in case of XSI? The 64-bit installer comes at no extra cost or doesn't it... I can't remember because I switched some time ago from 32 XP to 64 Vista. The installer was a free download available at the site. I think I had to request a new keycode though.

[Edit]: crossed posts with previous poster. Yes, agree: definitely go with 64 bit OS, it may be kind of transitional now but there's no question 64 is superior for serious graphics apps. The increase in RAM available is simply too much of a benefit. With Win7 MS also nailed the earlier problems of incompatibility to older drivers and software. Almost all 32-bit apps will run under win7 64, those that don't will not run under win7 32 either. And for those cases, there is Virtual XP (comes for free with your Win7 license)

wannabeArtist
Posts: 98
Joined: 10 Jun 2009, 06:34
Location: Finland

Re: XSI 7.01 on Windows 7 - anyone tried?

Post by wannabeArtist » 23 Dec 2009, 14:37

Thanks for the warning, dwigfor

It seems that I was a bit misinformed here, but no worries - I will most probably use the 32-bit for a "casual use" laptop instead and get the 64-bit for my work computer.

What about the flavour? druite, you mention you are running Ultimate - is there a significant difference to Professional in the context of running XSI and other graphics apps?

XSI is my main tool and my 2D needs are quite minimal (I get by with Photoshop Elements), but I'm planning to get ZBrush in the near future.

User avatar
druitre
Posts: 471
Joined: 25 Jun 2009, 21:35

Re: XSI 7.01 on Windows 7 - anyone tried?

Post by druitre » 23 Dec 2009, 14:51

Difference between professional and ultimate - not really relevant for graphics use, I got it at a promotional deal that hardly cost extra over professional. Often I've noticed the difference between home-professional-ultimate versions of windows are in tweakability. I tend to tweak the bejeezis out of my windows so I'm happy I could get the most advanced version.

wannabeArtist
Posts: 98
Joined: 10 Jun 2009, 06:34
Location: Finland

Re: XSI 7.01 on Windows 7 - anyone tried?

Post by wannabeArtist » 23 Dec 2009, 14:57

Ok, thanks,

I'll see what kind of offers I can find around here, but I'll think I could settle for Pro then.