Souscription Gold Service ???

General questions and troubleshooting SOFTIMAGE©
benoit81
Posts: 73
Joined: 03 Oct 2011, 18:51

Souscription Gold Service ???

Post by benoit81 » 02 Sep 2013, 09:52

Hello,
In January 2012, I report a bug :

Code: Select all

SPR-684  Rendermap with angle grouping gives bad results, spills uvs causing artifacts 
Since this day, nothing happen. The rendermap (or ultimapper) is still unable to rendermap a model with complex geometry (comming from a scan or a CAD model, with double edges). The same model render perfectly with 3ds max or even with softimage with 3delight.

This is typically a bug, an important one when it comes to realtime 3D (backing lights).
How many years do they need to fix this bug ??? I thought that we have "a gold" support service ?
I should not buy a 3 years maintenance because Softimage do not evolve at all...

What should I do ???
Thank You,

SreckoM
Posts: 187
Joined: 24 Jul 2010, 22:18
Skype: srecko.micic

Re: Souscription Gold Service ???

Post by SreckoM » 02 Sep 2013, 10:00

Buy MayaLT ...
- H -

benoit81
Posts: 73
Joined: 03 Oct 2011, 18:51

Re: Souscription Gold Service ???

Post by benoit81 » 02 Sep 2013, 10:06

LOL,
I would prefer staying with Softimage if you do not mind =((

But it's true that when I look at the new modeling tools in Maya, it seems that it's the perfect evolution of the tweak component tool (M).

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: Souscription Gold Service ???

Post by Hirazi Blue » 02 Sep 2013, 10:19

Assuming you reported your bug in the Subscription Center the first step would probably to (re)open the issue there. Maybe that way you can get some additional info on the status of the bug and/or workarounds. I have found they can be quite helpful as long as you show some persistence.
:)]

Moderator edit: moved this to "General & Troubleshooting" - HB
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

benoit81
Posts: 73
Joined: 03 Oct 2011, 18:51

Re: Souscription Gold Service ???

Post by benoit81 » 02 Sep 2013, 12:05

I try to phone, but nobody seems to answer. I will keep you informed.
I open a new technical case, and I get back an automatic answer from... Stephen Blair !!! I do not know that Solid Angle is handling Softimage technical support !
By the way, do you know if arnold support rendermap ?

PS Thanks for moving my post in this topic.

BenR
Posts: 92
Joined: 11 Jun 2009, 18:52

Re: Souscription Gold Service ???

Post by BenR » 02 Sep 2013, 14:13

benoit81 wrote:I try to phone, but nobody seems to answer. I will keep you informed.
I open a new technical case, and I get back an automatic answer from... Stephen Blair !!! I do not know that Solid Angle is handling Softimage technical support !
By the way, do you know if arnold support rendermap ?

PS Thanks for moving my post in this topic.
Yes, bug reports seem to be submit and hope. By the way, I don't know where you are from Benoit but today is the labor day holiday in U.S. and Canada.

benoit81
Posts: 73
Joined: 03 Oct 2011, 18:51

Re: Souscription Gold Service ???

Post by benoit81 » 02 Sep 2013, 14:32

There is no labor day in France today :ymdaydream:

julca
Posts: 145
Joined: 07 Sep 2012, 12:24

Re: Souscription Gold Service ???

Post by julca » 03 Sep 2013, 11:53

Hello Benoit !

Just some suggestions..
have you tried to :
- regenerate uv ?
- delete objects properties like "user normal" ?

Do you have a piece of your model that you can share ?

benoit81
Posts: 73
Joined: 03 Oct 2011, 18:51

Re: Souscription Gold Service ???

Post by benoit81 » 09 Sep 2013, 09:17

Autodesk have log the issue, I'm still waiting.
@julca
I have no sample geometry that I can share. But typically, unclean data from CAD files or scan can not be rendermaped properly. I try to find a piece of a model.
Thank you,

benoit81
Posts: 73
Joined: 03 Oct 2011, 18:51

Re: Souscription Gold Service ???

Post by benoit81 » 19 Sep 2013, 12:08

I receive an answer from Softimage support.
They do not understand the problem, do not plan to fix it in the next release...
Advanced support ? No thanks...
VERY UNHAPPY WITH AUTODESK "SUPPORT".

User avatar
xsisupport
Posts: 713
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:02
Location: Montreal Canada

Re: Souscription Gold Service ???

Post by xsisupport » 19 Sep 2013, 12:23

benoit81 wrote:I receive an answer from Softimage support.
They do not understand the problem, do not plan to fix it in the next release...
Advanced support ? No thanks...
VERY UNHAPPY WITH AUTODESK "SUPPORT".
No level of support guarantees bug fixes, except Enterprise Priority, which includes fixes of Severity 1 bugs in previous releases.
// Steve Blair
// "You're not a runner, you're just a guy who runs" -- my wife
//
// My Blogs: Arnold | Softimage

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: Souscription Gold Service ???

Post by Hirazi Blue » 19 Sep 2013, 16:06

benoit81 wrote:Hello,
In January 2012, I report a bug :

Code: Select all

SPR-684  Rendermap with angle grouping gives bad results, spills uvs causing artifacts 
What exactly can they misunderstand, assuming that above quote/"code" comes from the logged issue itself?
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

luceric
Posts: 1252
Joined: 21 Jun 2009, 22:08

Re: Souscription Gold Service ???

Post by luceric » 19 Sep 2013, 16:28

If it's critical to you, you should relog this january 2012 bug, because the sample scene provided an .obj with bad triangles that are throwing off something, and apparently it was stated that 3delight doesn't exibit the problem (which implies user has a work around), plus Max (which the user also owns) also is fine. There doesn't seem to be any other defect logged around Rendermap, so this implies that this problem doesn't affect many people (perhaps even nobody else?). So it doesn't pass the QFE management tests. Some of the QFE tests are: is it a regression? is it a production stopper with no work arounds? Does it affect a significant part of the user base? it sucks but people need to have tools to decide what to do with a data base with a thousand logged issues.

benoit81
Posts: 73
Joined: 03 Oct 2011, 18:51

Re: Souscription Gold Service ???

Post by benoit81 » 19 Sep 2013, 18:35

it sucks but people need to have tools to decide what to do with a data base with a thousand logged issues.
I suppose I have no choice...
In 2012, I reported this bug because I had thousands of statues from 3d scan (Versailles castle) to export on a realtime 3d engine. Rendermap was part of a big script, in this process 3ds max was not a solution, and 3delight was more grainy... so it was a nightmare.
Few month ago I got 3D from CATIA/Rhino to import in a Flare3D (again thousand of objects). Re-topologyse objects render perfectly, but unfortunately I get artifacts when I rendermap original CAD data... I know that I should transfer my data to 3ds max, but I really prefer working with Softimage (even if the product does not seems to evaluate much). But I really do not understand Autodesk philosophy : transfering data to 3ds max is not a 100% reliable process. They want us to buy some suite, but data transfert (even if it's better everytime) is always an issue (if you do not have in-house engineers focused on asset/dcc).
I would not be so angry with Autodesk if every 3D company act the same way. When I see the creativity and the power of tools like Redshift, Arnold, Fabric Engine... I'm very happy ! (Even Maya get much more attention than Softimage).
/Cheers

luceric
Posts: 1252
Joined: 21 Jun 2009, 22:08

Re: Souscription Gold Service ???

Post by luceric » 19 Sep 2013, 18:56

there is no company that scratches everyone's itch. I was just reading the other day that there is a group of users angry at Luxology and Modo 7.01 because according to them they didn't fix any of the reported issues and just added features, so they stopped logging bugs altogether.

Autodesk does not specifically want to you transfer your stuff to Max (I think you're the one that mentioned that you tried that and it worked). Suites are not a way around fixing bugs. The thing here is that rendermap is a key features for the game companies using softimage, and there doesn't seem to be problems on the radar about it. Rendermap has probably behaved this way for a decade. Obvious you're getting trapped because you're working with data others aren't. Somebody pointed out, I forget in which forums, that the .obj importer in Softimage is not dealing well with some malformed data which are quite commonly produced by various apps. You could try to clean it up first through the fbx converter or something else.