New DT traning coming Softimage way ...

News concerning 3D DCC business
User avatar
ojo3D
Posts: 105
Joined: 26 Mar 2013, 13:17
Location: SP / Brazil

New DT traning coming Softimage way ...

Post by ojo3D » 29 Aug 2013, 14:56

http://www.digitaltutors.com/dtlabs/?p=9282

Well ... I'm happy. Finally a nice design ship and cool looking. The Maya one for the 2014 is kind of ugly. And the animation looks more solid. I like it.

Bullit
Moderator
Posts: 2621
Joined: 24 May 2012, 07:44

Re: New DT traning coming Softimage way ...

Post by Bullit » 29 Aug 2013, 17:06

Yeah, that's seems to be a good project, from begin to end, not the usual stuff.

User avatar
ojo3D
Posts: 105
Joined: 26 Mar 2013, 13:17
Location: SP / Brazil

Re: New DT traning coming Softimage way ...

Post by ojo3D » 29 Aug 2013, 17:25

I thought the design is really good and it has a lot of secondary animation. I just might get back to subscription.

The only thing I wish for the Softimage tutorials was if Joshua Kinney would taught it (he is a 3dsmax guy and the way he explain is in detail and great).

I mean, I have done the some for Max and some for Maya and he explain way better than Justin.

User avatar
ojo3D
Posts: 105
Joined: 26 Mar 2013, 13:17
Location: SP / Brazil

Re: New DT traning coming Softimage way ...

Post by ojo3D » 30 Aug 2013, 13:06

Hey guys ... let me use my thread so ask you some random question.

I started studying and learning 3d in 2003 with 3dsMax. I stopped using because I changed field of work but I've been thinking of getting back to this arena and 3dsMax and Softimage were going to be my tools of choice.

If you think about the suites ... the 3dsMax suite with Softimage, Mudbox, Motionbuilder and Sketchbook is worth it in comparison to buy Cinema 4D and then another software because C4D isn't all that powerfull in animation/dynamics. For the price of two softwares (C4D + another one) you get Max, Softimage, Mudbox, etc. I mean, it's a lot of resources.

But it's hard to buy a suite without knowing what to expect in the future. I mean, I have nothing against Maya ... but it's a crime what Autodesk have being doing to Softimage. The acquisition should never have been allowed. :/

But anyway ... my question is ... since I don't have any intention of working for big studios, as I'll try to open something for myself, should I stick with Softimage or Softimage + 3dsMax or should I just go with the flow and master Maya? Take into consideration that I've been saving money to purchase the commercial licenses next year to start my own cg shop.

And no ... I'm not crazy. ~x(

EricTRocks
Moderator
Posts: 754
Joined: 25 Nov 2009, 00:41

Re: New DT traning coming Softimage way ...

Post by EricTRocks » 30 Aug 2013, 13:13

Buy the suite with Maya and Softimage. Max is being pushed out of Commercial and Film / VFX by AD from what I've heard and seen over the past few years.
Eric Thivierge
Lead Kraken Developer, Fabric Engine
http://fabric-engine.github.io/Kraken

User avatar
ojo3D
Posts: 105
Joined: 26 Mar 2013, 13:17
Location: SP / Brazil

Re: New DT traning coming Softimage way ...

Post by ojo3D » 30 Aug 2013, 13:17

EricTRocks wrote:Buy the suite with Maya and Softimage. Max is being pushed out of Commercial and Film / VFX by AD from what I've heard and seen over the past few years.
Hey Eric ... the reason I thought about the suite was to have good options for motion graphics without the need of C4D. Max has that ATK plugin by Joker Martini witch is quite cool.

I don't know much of Softimage yet. Everybody says that with ICE there's nothing impossible. But does it take too much time to learn it?

The other thing about Max is how there's lots and lots of free scripts and stuff.

But thanks for your input man.

--- EDIT ----

Don't know if you guys have seen it, but the reel from Analog Studios is great and all 3dsMax + plugins (I'm guessing FumeFX, TP and Krakatoa).


What I mean is this. Do this kind of work with Softimage + 3dsMax. It should be possible.

Bullit
Moderator
Posts: 2621
Joined: 24 May 2012, 07:44

Re: New DT traning coming Softimage way ...

Post by Bullit » 31 Aug 2013, 22:36

It is difficult to say but these softwares will make good stuff even in 5 years time. Max has plugins like softimage(motozoid, exocortex) and maya but that means more $$$ .
If you want to do motion graphics Softimage ICE is the solution. You know Motion Tools by Gustavo?



Note you can open the nodes to change as you like and most important to understand.

There is also other ICE stuff around for this.

User avatar
ojo3D
Posts: 105
Joined: 26 Mar 2013, 13:17
Location: SP / Brazil

Re: New DT traning coming Softimage way ...

Post by ojo3D » 01 Sep 2013, 00:27

I'm about to format my notebook as my HD is starting to fail (waiting for the new one to arrive). So I've decide to do a tutorial for 3dsMax this weekend as I wait for the launch of the Intro to Softimage 2014 that will go live tomorrow.

I took the Intro to Max 2013. I like the design so I decided to play a little. But man ... I was working and then the Front view got all crazy and the only way to fix it was restarting Max. Then the viewport shows things different than in the video, etc etc. What was supposed to be fun is driving me crazy. ~x(


Monday ... come fast!!!

luceric
Posts: 1252
Joined: 21 Jun 2009, 22:08

Re: New DT traning coming Softimage way ...

Post by luceric » 01 Sep 2013, 19:55

as I wrote in another thread, if you decide to buy the suite with Max and Softimage aka the Premium suite, there is a promo running now where you can buy the Ultimate Suite, with max, softimage and Maya for the same price.
it's a great deal (though they must getcha on the sub prices), but i dont think it's a good idea to learn multiple apps.

Eugen
Posts: 331
Joined: 10 Jan 2010, 11:40
Location: Vienna/Austria

Re: New DT traning coming Softimage way ...

Post by Eugen » 02 Sep 2013, 07:50

luceric wrote:but i dont think it's a good idea to learn multiple apps.
Good point.
Don't know how about you people, but being able to wield a complex 3D application on a profound level really takes time and continuous training, because you will forget your workflows again if you don't use them.
Now to keep up with 3 different apps, look into plugins, even script... that's becoming too much for a single person, especially when you have work to deliver.
It's possible of course to catch on the basics, but people who say they use many different application normally use only selected tools.

Nox
Posts: 108
Joined: 16 Apr 2013, 11:28

Re: New DT traning coming Softimage way ...

Post by Nox » 02 Sep 2013, 09:33

But it's hard to buy a suite without knowing what to expect in the future.
It's kinda obvious actually.

User avatar
ojo3D
Posts: 105
Joined: 26 Mar 2013, 13:17
Location: SP / Brazil

Re: New DT traning coming Softimage way ...

Post by ojo3D » 02 Sep 2013, 17:26

Eugen wrote:
luceric wrote:but i dont think it's a good idea to learn multiple apps.
Good point.
Don't know how about you people, but being able to wield a complex 3D application on a profound level really takes time and continuous training, because you will forget your workflows again if you don't use them.
I agree. That's why I've decide to make the intro tutorials of DT in all major (C4D, Max, Maya and Softimage) to see which one I like the most.

As of now, I'm really enjoying the Max one, but I guess is because of the "professor". But between Max and Maya I might just go with Maya because of all the late cool tools going to it.

Today it was released the new intro to Softimage. I'll give it a try to see if it can top the others (personal preference of working).

User avatar
ojo3D
Posts: 105
Joined: 26 Mar 2013, 13:17
Location: SP / Brazil

Re: New DT traning coming Softimage way ...

Post by ojo3D » 04 Sep 2013, 14:02

Man ... just an update... But the new training is boring. Jesus!!

I've just finished the one in 3dsMax and Josh (teacher) teaches in a well paced way, he explains why he's doing stuff, different takes on modeling, topology, etc.

Then you get into the Softimage one and not even an reference image is used. He just start modeling something and say that you will have to pull points all the time, bla bla bla. Damn ... after 1h30 I went to sleep. I get the feeling he won't explain much about workflow and different ways to tackle the problem.

But I'll strive ... A funny thing. My wife sees that I'm studying and she said that when I study 3dsMax (with Josh) I go happily. When it's Maya or Softimage (Justin and some other guy) she just hears me mumbling. It's not to say I prefer Max ... but the way Josh explain things is wayyy better then the other guys. It's makes the learning experience fun.

I'll finish the Softimage training as I promise myself it was important to test all software before making an decision to which one I would focus. But I think it's safe to say that even if I don't choose 3dsMax, I'll keep watching other videos from Josh because he explains so well the concepts that you feel like you are learning something.

Anyway ... mumbling over and back to studying.

Bullit
Moderator
Posts: 2621
Joined: 24 May 2012, 07:44

Re: New DT traning coming Softimage way ...

Post by Bullit » 05 Sep 2013, 00:12

That is my big critic of video training around, so much useless stuff in videos, only for them to put in the promotion 3 hours of training, 4 hours etc! Longer the better they think. It isn't. I want to learn in shortest time possible.

Because of this i usually prefer webpage tutorials than video when available.


Btw that softimage training you are seeing is the DT last one?

User avatar
ojo3D
Posts: 105
Joined: 26 Mar 2013, 13:17
Location: SP / Brazil

Re: New DT traning coming Softimage way ...

Post by ojo3D » 05 Sep 2013, 02:48

Bullit wrote:Btw that softimage training you are seeing is the DT last one?
Yes, that one. I'm enjoing learning Softimage but not the training. Because of the video, I thought it would be better.

I'm enjoying the Max training (at least the ones teached by Josh) a lot more.

Actually I'm just happy I'm learning.