I just upgraded my vimeo account to a Plus membership and hoped to be able to upload some tests in great quality. Unfortunately the uploaded video looks horrible.
The original video is compressed to a Mbps rate of 32-40. Quality is great. If I upload it, all detail is lost and it looks like some dodgy youtube video. If I compress it to about 10 Mbps (like they propose on their website), it looks equally bad, but not as horrible as on vimeo.
Is there any way to get the details up there or is it simply not working with this kind of raw material?
The original file is 1280x720px @ 30fps.
Thanks for any tips!
Vimeo video settings for fine detail
-
EricTRocks
- Moderator
- Posts: 754
- Joined: 25 Nov 2009, 00:41
Re: Vimeo video settings for fine detail
Might depend on the recording software you are using. I've been using http://www.screencast-o-matic.com lately and love it. They have an option on the paid version ($15 / yr) that will allow you to upload to vimeo and other video web sites as well automatically after recording. I usually export to mp4 from there though then upload to vimeo through the web.
If you have plus you shouldn't worry too much about how big the file is...
You should be recording at 15fps for tutorials btw.
If you have plus you shouldn't worry too much about how big the file is...
You should be recording at 15fps for tutorials btw.
-
Pancho
- Posts: 659
- Joined: 19 Sep 2010, 09:28
Re: Vimeo video settings for fine detail
Hi Eric,
thanks for your ideas. I actually use SI's built in function to record the simulation at 30fps. I output everything as .pngs and either use AE or MR (media recorder). I also tried QT, but I guess this one example is just not working with the 10Mbps limit. Probably too much detail in too little time.
But thanks for the tip. Concerning making a tutorial: Do you use any free screen recording software? Once tried a commerical software which was rather expensive.
Cheers
Thomas
thanks for your ideas. I actually use SI's built in function to record the simulation at 30fps. I output everything as .pngs and either use AE or MR (media recorder). I also tried QT, but I guess this one example is just not working with the 10Mbps limit. Probably too much detail in too little time.
But thanks for the tip. Concerning making a tutorial: Do you use any free screen recording software? Once tried a commerical software which was rather expensive.
Cheers
Thomas
-
EricTRocks
- Moderator
- Posts: 754
- Joined: 25 Nov 2009, 00:41
Re: Vimeo video settings for fine detail
Sorry didn't read your post clearly. 
When you export the vid from AE I would export to h.264. Usually gives me good results when I've had to do it.
As for the free recording software, http://screencast-o-matic.com has a free web based one.
When you export the vid from AE I would export to h.264. Usually gives me good results when I've had to do it.
As for the free recording software, http://screencast-o-matic.com has a free web based one.
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: Vimeo video settings for fine detail
There are obviously numerous alternatives on the internet. Screencast-o-matic is a nice tool, but as you can see from my short TopoColors "tutorial", it will "watermark" your video with a "Screencast-O-Matic.com" overlay that might be undesirable. There might be an easy way around this, but I must admit I didn't look very hard at the time.
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
EricTRocks
- Moderator
- Posts: 754
- Joined: 25 Nov 2009, 00:41
Re: Vimeo video settings for fine detail
Honestly though it's $15 for the "pro" version and it's really really good. It's a fair trade off to have a watermark for using it for free though. Especially at such a low cost it's a more than reasonable price to pay for a really solid tool.
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: Vimeo video settings for fine detail
True. Still potentially interesting to know IMHO, especially when talking about "free" solutions.
;)
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!