Multi Instanced objects onto a mesh surface... advice

Discussions about SOFTIMAGEs© Interactive Creative Environment©
thorsnuts
Posts: 153
Joined: 08 Oct 2012, 17:42

Multi Instanced objects onto a mesh surface... advice

Post by thorsnuts » 05 Aug 2013, 01:33

Hello...

I need some help with getting multiple Instanced objects to stick to another mesh's surface. Like a bunch of jelly beans stuck to the surface of a balloon. So when the Balloon grows the jelly beans are actually moving with it, as if stuck to is surface. No sliding around. But I need the flexibility of random sizes and orientation.

Are there Compounds out there that can help with this effect?

thanks for the time.
-TN

EricTRocks
Moderator
Posts: 754
Joined: 25 Nov 2009, 00:41

Re: Multi Instanced objects onto a mesh surface... advice

Post by EricTRocks » 05 Aug 2013, 01:52

What have you tried so far? Basic emission of a simulated ice tree with a stick to location set to "emit location" works for me.
Eric Thivierge
Lead Kraken Developer, Fabric Engine
http://fabric-engine.github.io/Kraken

thorsnuts
Posts: 153
Joined: 08 Oct 2012, 17:42

Re: Multi Instanced objects onto a mesh surface... advice

Post by thorsnuts » 05 Aug 2013, 01:59

Thanks for replying...

I've tried that, but the balloon is animated over time using an Envelope and controls I set up. The point don't seem to follow the mesh. I also need the instanced object to stay from the beginning.. so I put them in the Modeling stack.

does that make sense?

Pancho
Posts: 659
Joined: 19 Sep 2010, 09:28

Re: Multi Instanced objects onto a mesh surface... advice

Post by Pancho » 05 Aug 2013, 09:00

Check out the compounds from Melena or Kristinka. In each set there is one which transforms the strand and point positions. In the end you might need two meshes (one static, one animated) in order to make the "reinterpret location on new geometry" compound work. Old location is the emit location. Check Poobys' video on mesh deformation and point normals and you'll understand how to keep the orientation of the instances. Should be within the latest 20 uploads in his account.

Good luck!

thorsnuts
Posts: 153
Joined: 08 Oct 2012, 17:42

Re: Multi Instanced objects onto a mesh surface... advice

Post by thorsnuts » 06 Aug 2013, 12:52

thanks for the time... I've checked those things out. pretty cool