bump map pixelation

Discussions regarding Materials, Material-Compounds or Shaders, etc.
thorsnuts
Posts: 153
Joined: 08 Oct 2012, 17:42

bump map pixelation

Post by thorsnuts » 28 Jul 2013, 16:15

Hello...

I have this problem when using a bump map on a mesh object, while using an image or a procedural.. I get this pixilation/ jagged edge to it. I tried to attach a picture for you to see.

I'm using a bump map plugged into the Mat port, I played with the sample spacing, lowering it makes it worse, and highering it makes it blurry.

Does this happen to anybody else?

could you help explain?

thank you
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
rray
Moderator
Posts: 1810
Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
Location: Bonn, Germany

Re: bump map pixelation

Post by rray » 28 Jul 2013, 17:03

That's a problem with the Bump_map shader. I don't know if it's a bug or something that couldn't be avoided by the shader writer.

You can make it less apparent if you decrease spacing and increase bump strength, or tweak mesh splitting settings (increased render time)
softimage resources section updated Sep 26th 2026

thorsnuts
Posts: 153
Joined: 08 Oct 2012, 17:42

Re: bump map pixelation

Post by thorsnuts » 28 Jul 2013, 18:32

thank you.. I've been playing with those settings, and found that setting it to Zero fixes it in this case.

thanks for the time.